Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Jun 28, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #1,276 of 1,409
Hi all

Which pads would you recommend for this headphones?
I have the open grills and fazor pad attachments printed.
I am looking at the ZMF suede BE2 pads as they are flatter.
I tried some old pads i have bought for the t50rp and found the flatter shure 1540 pads to sound better as the drivers are closer but they are not sized for these headphones.
I have tried ZMF ori pads and they dont seem to sound too good.

The dekoni elite velours are out as i dont want to deal with adhesives anymore lol.

Thanks for your help.

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,277 of 1,409
Heads up, the M1060C is on sale today for $212.50 today, June 28th, only with promo code "SUMMER15" direct from Monoprice. Shipping is free as well. This was finally low enough for me to give 'em a try even though I already have a the M1060 and M1070.... Do I have a problem? Maybe. Lol.

Jun 28, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #1,279 of 1,409
The dekoni elite velours are out as i dont want to deal with adhesives anymore lol.
I can't comment on the best pad choice since I don't have my pair yet, but don't Dekoni LCD pads have a regular pad mounting lip on them, so to use them with the pad adaptor you just wouldn't take the paper backing off of the adhesive? I could be wrong, but I thought that's how they are.

Jun 28, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #1,280 of 1,409
I can't comment on the best pad choice since I don't have my pair yet, but don't Dekoni LCD pads have a regular pad mounting lip on them, so to use them with the pad adaptor you just wouldn't take the paper backing off of the adhesive? I could be wrong, but I thought that's how they are.

Yep, you're correct, they have a mounting lip on them. They can be mounted either way.

Sidenote: I didn't like either the leather or elite velour Dekoni pads on my M1060C's. They fit fine, just wasn't in love with the way they seemed to close off the sound. My preferred pad choice isn't really helpful though as it is the Audeze vegan pads which are super hard to get ahold of.

Jun 28, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #1,281 of 1,409
This discussion has jogged my memory. After some digging I was able to find the excellent comparison that @jotaku did with the Dekoni LCD Microsuede, ZMF Oval Suede, and Audeze Vegan pads on an M1060. Yeah, I know comparisons on the M1060 ≠ M1060C, but it should give a rough idea since there are some similarities between the two.

TL;DR of the comparison is that the ZMF Oval Suedes are the closest alternative among these options to the now unobtainable Vegans. These will probably be the pads that I get for my M1060C I just ordered if I don't have something in my Big Box o' Pads™ that I like. :o2smile:

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #1,282 of 1,409
This discussion has jogged my memory. After some digging I was able to find the excellent comparison that @jotaku did with the Dekoni LCD Microsuede, ZMF Oval Suede, and Audeze Vegan pads on an M1060. Yeah, I know comparisons on the M1060 ≠ M1060C, but it should give a rough idea since there are some similarities between the two.

TL;DR of the comparison is that the ZMF Oval Suedes are the closest alternative among these options to the now unobtainable Vegans. These will probably be the pads that I get for my M1060C I just ordered if I don't have something in my Big Box o' Pads™ that I like. :o2smile:
Yeah pads are fun aren't they... so much money and you only end up using 1. I'm likely to try the elite velours and through amazon so i can return them if they don't do the magic I'm expecting, provided I can try them without permanently altering them and getting in trouble with returns department. Right now I'm just enjoying the C's with LCD2-C eq profiles, really makes them sound alive and lifelike. Funny how these respond well to LCD mods.

Jun 28, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #1,283 of 1,409
Yeah pads are fun aren't they... so much money and you only end up using 1. I'm likely to try the elite velours and through amazon so i can return them if they don't do the magic I'm expecting, provided I can try them without permanently altering them and getting in trouble with returns department. Right now I'm just enjoying the C's with LCD2-C eq profiles, really makes them sound alive and lifelike. Funny how these respond well to LCD mods.
The Dekoni elite velours are not a good substitute for the now unobtainable Audeze vegan pads. The Dekoni choice microsuedes where much better. The elite velours made everything sound muddy. I hated that pad, but to each their own.

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #1,285 of 1,409
So with my set now in the mail I started looking at some of the 3D printable mods that are available. Since I would really like to be able to pad roll easily and nondestructively, I think this pad adaptor is what I'm going to go with, but I have a question to anyone who has used it or the creator who is @Shroomalistic I think.

I know will need to get some longer screws but are those 4 screws that mount it holding the magnets in place? If so, is there a best practice to make sure the magnets don't fall and tear the membrane? Like unscrewing them upside down so gravity holds them, for instance? I'm just a little paranoid thanks to previous horror stories I have seen in the early M1060 days and the experience I had when replacing an E-clip on my Advanced Alphas. Any advice is appreciated!

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #1,286 of 1,409
So with my set now in the mail I started looking at some of the 3D printable mods that are available. Since I would really like to be able to pad roll easily and nondestructively, I think this pad adaptor is what I'm going to go with, but I have a question to anyone who has used it or the creator who is @Shroomalistic I think.

I know will need to get some longer screws but are those 4 screws that mount it holding the magnets in place? If so, is there a best practice to make sure the magnets don't fall and tear the membrane? Like unscrewing them upside down so gravity holds them, for instance? I'm just a little paranoid thanks to previous horror stories I have seen in the early M1060 days and the experience I had when replacing an E-clip on my Advanced Alphas. Any advice is appreciated!

I don't use that particular pad adapter, I use another from Shroomalistic, THIS one. However, I can tell you that you do need longer screws (I used THESE), but the 4 you take out aren't the only ones holding the driver in so you're fine. See the pic below, arrows point to the 4 you remove and I've circled the 3 you don't.

2021-06-29.jpg

Jun 30, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #1,288 of 1,409
Would it be recommended to remove the cloth covering the front and back of the driver?

i remembered that sticking different stuff on the back of the driver had great effects on the sound of my t50rp..

I have the cloth over the driver removed on both my open and closed back sets of M1060C. It made a difference in stage and detail retrieval. Not a massive one, but definitely noticeable to me.

Jun 30, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #1,289 of 1,409
I have the cloth over the driver removed on both my open and closed back sets of M1060C. It made a difference in stage and detail retrieval. Not a massive one, but definitely noticeable to me.
It's noticeable, but there's nothing left to protect the driver if you're removing it on both sides. I wouldn't recommend pulling the earpad side like I did. Now I've got nothing until I switch to a dekoni pad or other Audeze pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back