Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Jun 3, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #1,261 of 1,409
I should add, this is what mine looks like. I keep talking about it but I got no proof I even own one lol. Yes that is a DIY pleather pillow thing I made around the headband metal, no, it isn't super comfortable yet. I'm a big fan of how these Audeze headbands are with the pilot pad in place of the strap, wanted to sort of replicate that with materials lying around.
monoleze M1060-2C.JPG

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #1,264 of 1,409
Post above is using HE560v2 headband, used to be available for $10 but that deal has ended it seems. Now its $40 and you don't know if you're getting HE560V2 or new and improved comfort headband (which won't work). Two posts above is mine and uses Audeze LCD spring steel latest revision.

I haven't tried the Hifiman band before so can't speak to the results, but have used the audeze.

Notes for the Audeze: you will need to fabricate an adapter to get it to work with the stock Monolith yokes. I used a piece of old PC case, bent it up at the sides 45 degrees, and bent the ends forward slightly because the Audeze headband isn't actually intended to mount directly at the center of the yokes, it is meant to sit at a fairly significant angle.

The audeze strap will also probably need to be shortened, as they ship it with the strap getting as close to the spring steel as possible, and for 90% of users, that causes it to straight up rest on the metal and cause a mega hotspot.

The audeze headband also has significantly more clamp than the monolith unit. I like this, because I can shift my head while gaming or listening to music and not break the seal and have to constantly readjust. And I have a big head, so that shows how flimsy the stock clamp is.

My recommendation, because the audeze band makes these headphones pricier than the Sundara, is to just unscrew the stock headband's ratchet box, pull out the strap, drill the rivet, and make your own strap as wide and fancy as you want, and press it back into the stock slider. This costs nothing if made from scrap material, and while it only addresses the hotspot, it does make these headphones legitimately dailyable.

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #1,265 of 1,409
Post above is using HE560v2 headband, used to be available for $10 but that deal has ended it seems. Now its $40 and you don't know if you're getting HE560V2 or new and improved comfort headband (which won't work). Two posts above is mine and uses Audeze LCD spring steel latest revision.

I haven't tried the Hifiman band before so can't speak to the results, but have used the audeze.

Notes for the Audeze: you will need to fabricate an adapter to get it to work with the stock Monolith yokes. I used a piece of old PC case, bent it up at the sides 45 degrees, and bent the ends forward slightly because the Audeze headband isn't actually intended to mount directly at the center of the yokes, it is meant to sit at a fairly significant angle.

The audeze strap will also probably need to be shortened, as they ship it with the strap getting as close to the spring steel as possible, and for 90% of users, that causes it to straight up rest on the metal and cause a mega hotspot.

The audeze headband also has significantly more clamp than the monolith unit. I like this, because I can shift my head while gaming or listening to music and not break the seal and have to constantly readjust. And I have a big head, so that shows how flimsy the stock clamp is.

My recommendation, because the audeze band makes these headphones pricier than the Sundara, is to just unscrew the stock headband's ratchet box, pull out the strap, drill the rivet, and make your own strap as wide and fancy as you want, and press it back into the stock slider. This costs nothing if made from scrap material, and while it only addresses the hotspot, it does make these headphones legitimately dailyable.
That may be my best option. I did see another post using a hifiman headband which I have used and liked in the past. I may try and hunt one of those down and can always do this mod in the meantime. Appreciate the detailed response

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #1,267 of 1,409
I have tried some pads on the m1060c, found the stock pads are the best. Velour pad may extend the stage a bit but lowers the bass and treble. Low profile “non angled” pads decrease the soundstage and the treble.
Which velours did you use? I'm selling some car parts this weekend and will hopefully be able to try dekoni elite velour next week, I hear good things about them.

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #1,268 of 1,409
Finally received my m1060c.

As I've really not experienced a planar before, other than a brief demo with the LC2C years ago using a dragonfly black, I'm still adapting to the sound signature.

This bass is really something else, compared to what I'm used to.

I feel the rumble, and "tickling" in my ear, and the presentation of the bass is is more like a rumble, rather than a "sound".

I opened it as soon as I got it.

They seem fairly neutral, the vocals are pushed quite a bit forward when opened, sub bass is somewhat extended I guess.

Treble seems more present compared to my 6xx, imaging is good.

Overall more bright, drier vocals than my 6xx, but vocals are present, clear and nice.

Not really sure what to make of them yet, guess I'll need some more time.

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #1,269 of 1,409
They seem fairly neutral, the vocals are pushed quite a bit forward when opened, sub bass is somewhat extended I guess.
If you want to know whether the sub bass extends properly, go to onlinetonegenerator and see how low you can hear. This is one of the few headphones where I can hear/feel 20hz. This and the DT770 pro and some IEMs.

Jun 18, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #1,270 of 1,409
If you want to know whether the sub bass extends properly, go to onlinetonegenerator and see how low you can hear. This is one of the few headphones where I can hear/feel 20hz. This and the DT770 pro and some IEMs.

I do barely hear 20 hz, but only when I go from 22 ( normal listening volume on amp ) to max volume, guess that is to be expected maybe, or is there something wrong here?

30 hz is very easy to pick up compared to 20hz, around normal listening volume.

My 6xx pick up 20hz aswell when I get near max volume, though this is through the balanced output, vs m1060c on unbalanced output.

I've had some more time with these, and really appreciate the cleanliness that they present compared to my 6xx when the m1060c is running completely open, without any foam or grills on the outside.

Details are easier to pick up, and though the soundstage is not huge by any means, it is more spread out, and there is some more air between instruments compared to my 6xx.

Low end is the polar opposite between 6xx and m1060c, I pick up more details and nuances in the lower end, it's quite a different presentation.

6xx has more warmth across the board ( the warmth and bass seems somewhat bloated in comparison to m1060c ), but the warmth is presented in another manner compared to m1060c, and I don't think that the m1060c sounds dry or cold by any means.

6xx pinpoints the vocals more, though not by any huge margin, and pushes the vocalist in front of the rest.

m1060c doesn't do that, it is mid-forward and vocal forward when opened ( to my preference ), but the instruments aren't drowned or muted when someone is singing, and it's more "even".

I have to say, planar bass is really a different animal compared to the headphones that I'm used to with dynamic drivers.
I do notice that there is rumble going on, but I'd say it's more like a "feeling" of bass compared to a "sound" of bass.

I have mixed feelings about that, and to be honest I sometimes strive for that little extra bit of impact, tried to play around with some EQ with mixed results.

I do keep into consideration that I'm comparing an open back ( 6xx ) to a headphone ( m1060c ) that is closed as stock, but open now.
Though, I'm just comparing to the equipment that I already have on hand.

I'm currently running unbalanced on my loxjie P20, unbalanced in, unbalanced out, as I'm still awaiting my balanced cable from Amazon for these headphones.

How this will affect the sound, I'm not really sure, but the unbalanced output on the Loxjie hasn't exactly been given rave reviews, and has a lower power output compared to the balanced output.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #1,271 of 1,409
I do barely hear 20 hz, but only when I go from 22 ( normal listening volume on amp ) to max volume, guess that is to be expected maybe, or is there something wrong here?

30 hz is very easy to pick up compared to 20hz, around normal listening volume.

My 6xx pick up 20hz aswell when I get near max volume, though this is through the balanced output, vs m1060c on unbalanced output.

I've had some more time with these, and really appreciate the cleanliness that they present compared to my 6xx when the m1060c is running completely open, without any foam or grills on the outside.

Details are easier to pick up, and though the soundstage is not huge by any means, it is more spread out, and there is some more air between instruments compared to my 6xx.

Low end is the polar opposite between 6xx and m1060c, I pick up more details and nuances in the lower end, it's quite a different presentation.

6xx has more warmth across the board ( the warmth and bass seems somewhat bloated in comparison to m1060c ), but the warmth is presented in another manner compared to m1060c, and I don't think that the m1060c sounds dry or cold by any means.

6xx pinpoints the vocals more, though not by any huge margin, and pushes the vocalist in front of the rest.

m1060c doesn't do that, it is mid-forward and vocal forward when opened ( to my preference ), but the instruments aren't drowned or muted when someone is singing, and it's more "even".

I have to say, planar bass is really a different animal compared to the headphones that I'm used to with dynamic drivers.
I do notice that there is rumble going on, but I'd say it's more like a "feeling" of bass compared to a "sound" of bass.

I have mixed feelings about that, and to be honest I sometimes strive for that little extra bit of impact, tried to play around with some EQ with mixed results.

I do keep into consideration that I'm comparing an open back ( 6xx ) to a headphone ( m1060c ) that is closed as stock, but open now.
Though, I'm just comparing to the equipment that I already have on hand.

I'm currently running unbalanced on my loxjie P20, unbalanced in, unbalanced out, as I'm still awaiting my balanced cable from Amazon for these headphones.

How this will affect the sound, I'm not really sure, but the unbalanced output on the Loxjie hasn't exactly been given rave reviews, and has a lower power output compared to the balanced output.

You are barely hearing 20hz for two reasons:
1. 20 hz is considered barely audible to humans. Thats why the audible range is often cited as 20hz - 20khz and is the standard measuring stick for audio equipment.
2. Many headphones (and speakers) taper off under 40hz or 30hz (look at the frequency response graphs)

So jacking up the volume will make it more audible because 1. Its hard to discern 20 hz in the first place, and 2) headphones like the 6xx barely hit 20hz so you need more power to increase their 20hz performance up to audible levels but then all other higher frequencies will be too loud at that same power level.

I would caution you to be careful increasing the volume or EQ'ing the bass on a headphone like m1060c too much because that headphone is able to hit 20hz and even if you aren't perceiving it very well, the SPL is still there and will harm your ears.

Lastly in my opinion, M1060C's bass performance and slam are special. I would not say thats typical planar bass. Its at the extreme end. Something like a HE4xx or Ananda will have far less bass and slam.

Jun 18, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #1,272 of 1,409
So jacking up the volume will make it more audible because 1. Its hard to discern 20 hz in the first place, and 2) headphones like the 6xx barely hit 20hz so you need more power to increase their 20hz performance up to audible levels but then all other higher frequencies will be too loud at that same power level.

I would caution you to be careful increasing the volume or EQ'ing the bass on a headphone like m1060c too much because that headphone is able to hit 20hz and even if you aren't perceiving it very well, the SPL is still there and will harm your ears.
I probably should have been more clear when I was talking about listening to sub bass, good catch. Yes, you DON'T want to hear it loud. My ears can do 20hz but I am compromised past 17.5khz, I can't hear up to 20khz like a lot of people. Everyone's ear is different at those extremes. DON'T crank the volume if you can't hear that frequency.

Jun 20, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #1,273 of 1,409
Which velours did you use? I'm selling some car parts this weekend and will hopefully be able to try dekoni elite velour next week, I hear good things about them.
I used the dekoni elite LCD-X velour pads. You will lose some the bass quantity and rumble. Also some treble peaks will increase little bit. It’s more comfortable than the stock pads but I enjoyed the stock pads more.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #1,275 of 1,409
Does anyone what size/how to acquire a replacement e clip that holds the headband on? I managed to lose one while changing the headband

I can't remember offhand which it was, but it was one of the bottom 3 sizes in THIS kit. I've shot one or two across the room when changing headbands and had to order the kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back