Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
May 8, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #1,231 of 1,409
there are any other planar closed back like the Monolith M10600C, or is it the cheapest option?
I wondered the same thing, about the only options I found are T50rp mods like the argons or the newly open-source alpha dog: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/open-alpha-t50-3d-printed-headphone-project-from-mrspeakers.825868/

If you get the T50 cheap, and you have a way to 3d print cheaply, there's a chance you could do one of these overhauls cheaper than an M1060c.

If you are willing to compromise on the planar magnetic technology, the DT770 pro delivers super strong bass performance out of the box, and super clean mids IIRC. Some tuning foam or paper towel should be able to cut down on the harshness and graininess the beyers have, although I haven't heard it modded. A used 770 will cost you a good $100 less than an M1060c, and doesn't need a headband mod.

May 8, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #1,232 of 1,409
I wondered the same thing, about the only options I found are T50rp mods like the argons or the newly open-source alpha dog: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/open-alpha-t50-3d-printed-headphone-project-from-mrspeakers.825868/

If you get the T50 cheap, and you have a way to 3d print cheaply, there's a chance you could do one of these overhauls cheaper than an M1060c.

If you are willing to compromise on the planar magnetic technology, the DT770 pro delivers super strong bass performance out of the box, and super clean mids IIRC. Some tuning foam or paper towel should be able to cut down on the harshness and graininess the beyers have, although I haven't heard it modded. A used 770 will cost you a good $100 less than an M1060c, and doesn't need a headband mod.
thank you for the input, the T50 are semi-open, I tried in the past the beyer and were great but it needs some modding like the removable cable.

May 8, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #1,235 of 1,409
One thing you apparently can do is remove the strap from the adjustment mechanism and flip the strap upside down to get more contact patch. I haven't tried this, so idk if it works since they've started riveting the strap to the metal bit on the ends. What I did for a cheap fix was remove the adjustment all together, cut a piece of pleather out in the desired shape, and just fasten it to the holes already there on the headband. It was fragile but it did remove the hotspot.

May 8, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #1,236 of 1,409
One thing you apparently can do is remove the strap from the adjustment mechanism and flip the strap upside down to get more contact patch. I haven't tried this, so idk if it works since they've started riveting the strap to the metal bit on the ends. What I did for a cheap fix was remove the adjustment all together, cut a piece of pleather out in the desired shape, and just fasten it to the holes already there on the headband. It was fragile but it did remove the hotspot.
I will see on monday, for my head the most confortable headphones were the AKG K712 but now I like the planar sound and I need the closed back. I tried the Mobius but were unbearable.

May 9, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #1,238 of 1,409
I just got the m1060c and I've taken the backs off. What would be some good pads for these?
I'm interested in seeing where this goes as well. My research seems to indicate there are no pads that are a straight upgrade, except if you modify the headphones to take non-glued pads. If you're looking to switch because of the smell, it goes away in a couple of months, probably faster with regular wipedowns (which are quick because they are leather).

May 10, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #1,239 of 1,409
I'm interested in seeing where this goes as well. My research seems to indicate there are no pads that are a straight upgrade, except if you modify the headphones to take non-glued pads. If you're looking to switch because of the smell, it goes away in a couple of months, probably faster with regular wipedowns (which are quick because they are leather).
Luckily my headphones came in without any smell. I'm just wanting to smooth out the upper mids/lower treble because I'm sensitive to that range.

May 10, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #1,240 of 1,409
Luckily my headphones came in without any smell. I'm just wanting to smooth out the upper mids/lower treble because I'm sensitive to that range.
Best way to improve them (IMO) is remove every piece of foam and tape in the whole system (including under pads), and replace with mesh. I did that, sound is smooth and detailed for the most part. Some detail is lacking in the upper treble though, some tracks the cymbals start to mix with the guitar. I suspect doing fuzzor front and rear will darken it up for you but I like the brightness.
I will probably experiment later with taking the driver housing and lining it with felt to fully eliminate reverb. Not sure yet there's enough gap in the space between driver and housing to do that though.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #1,241 of 1,409
Best way to improve them (IMO) is remove every piece of foam and tape in the whole system (including under pads), and replace with mesh. I did that, sound is smooth and detailed for the most part. Some detail is lacking in the upper treble though, some tracks the cymbals start to mix with the guitar. I suspect doing fuzzor front and rear will darken it up for you but I like the brightness.
I will probably experiment later with taking the driver housing and lining it with felt to fully eliminate reverb. Not sure yet there's enough gap in the space between driver and housing to do that though.
What mesh should I use to keep the pads on?

May 10, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #1,242 of 1,409
What mesh should I use to keep the pads on?
I have some random coarse mesh I stuffed under the pads. It does leave the driver vulnerable to dust but my headphones live in the case. Main thing is stopping hair and being acoustically totally transparent. Truth be told the stock tape doesn't do a bad job at being transparent, so it's up to you if you want to chase that last 1%

May 10, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #1,243 of 1,409
I just got the m1060c and I've taken the backs off. What would be some good pads for these?

I have posted some pad rolling measurements here. The best ones were the 105mm perforated sheepskin pads from Smart Watched store on Aliexpress (linked in that post).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back