Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Aug 8, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #1,141 of 1,409
That's what I said in the post up above that you quoted, the one that describes how to do the swap. You only use the one E-Clip on the inside. Glad you got it figured out.
Thanks man. Reading is low down on the list after 1. Rush in blindly and boldly :)

Aug 9, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #1,142 of 1,409
P_20200808_134140.jpgP_20200808_134133.jpgP_20200808_134517.jpg

My M1060c's current form

That looks cool, TH909 like. Was that made from my model from Thingiverse? Nice to see someone made so cool version from it.

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #1,143 of 1,409
That looks cool, TH909 like. Was that made from my model from Thingiverse? Nice to see someone made so cool version from it.

Hey man, yeah i believe it was your model. 😄 Great file btw thanks! printed it in tough resin then sanded down to a smooth finish before painting. Currently using some cheap plastic grills which i will be replacing with some aluminum grille soon.

I am actually selling this set as i recently got purchased an elegia, lcd-2 and isine 20.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #1,144 of 1,409
Well, it may be time to get something else then. My M1060c is mostly headphones for VR-setup, changed Hirose-connectors and no grilles atm. I use on desktop Ether CX and mostly ZMF Aeolus LTD nowadays.

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #1,145 of 1,409
I am 3-1 against the M1060. Today I pulled a DMS and destroyed a driver. No clue how I did it but man the mod gods need to be appeased. Will make sure in the future that I put a rectangular strip to protect things while I am playing around.

I still have an m1060c that is working and sounding great.

Was going to buy another m1060 but now maybe I should look at something better than a moded m1060. Any ideas?

Aug 30, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #1,146 of 1,409
I'm looking to order some Open Grills soon. I have never had anything 3d printed before so I don't know exactly how to proceed. What are good material options to use? What kind of metal or acrylics are good? Also on Ponoko site there are 3 sliders (cutting, line engraving, and area engraving) which sliders would I need to select? I uploaded a design that someone shared here, just trying to figure out how to get it printed now.

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #1,147 of 1,409
KiMkOMp.jpg

v0BwJRj.jpg

xluQDru.jpg

PwgRz9o.jpg

pKqQKc2.jpg

dwAt1SF.jpg

og5lNF6.jpg

There's a lot of pics but I wanted to show the Ali pads, outside fazors and the inside with the Shroomalistic's pad holders and I modded one 'full size pad holder fazor adapter' thing to fit just a good fazor to inside and sealed it with hot glue. I also have few dings and got one inside the cup edge and wanted to cover it with some vinyl. I really liked just flat black and wood but wanted to try carbon fiber. Idk, it looks a bit like a toy but fine for now. I'll go flat black next time.

I'm not sure did this mod and pads change the sound quality. I didn't listen them before modding, did it after work, but I noticed when playing R6S that it might have some change on soundstage as I was a bit confused first. It may be a bit bigger, as you could expect for a change I think. But still, they sound good and detailed with nice soundstage and stiff bass. The pads are defitinely lambskin and a bit faster memoryfoam than my WH1000-XM3. Quality on those are very good, and for price of 19$ with 3$ discount I don't think you can get better deal. It would be interesting to have comprasion against something more expensive as these are really really good.:) Originals are really good too IMO, I was interested for the price but now I understand why these are much better. Glad I did order them.

Is it posaible to fit the new pads without 3D Print? Do i have to use glue?

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #1,150 of 1,409
Is there adhesive glue pads like on the audeze lcd line pads? I dont want use liquid glue. Or there can i buy the 3D printed Pad Adapters? Do you prefer some Earpads for the M1060C?

Most people buy double sided 3M tape sheets. Amazon has them.

I bought a sheet of Sewell Microsuction tape and used a compass cutter to cut a neat doughnut shape. I then connected the tape side to my pads. The Microsuction side grips the headphones firmly and can be removed many times.

Sep 4, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #1,151 of 1,409
Most people buy double sided 3M tape sheets. Amazon has them.

I bought a sheet of Sewell Microsuction tape and used a compass cutter to cut a neat doughnut shape. I then connected the tape side to my pads. The Microsuction side grips the headphones firmly and can be removed many times.

Perfect Idea, Thank You! Which Pads do you prefer? I have to say, im using the Grill Mod, to have an Open Version. They sound similar to the LCD 2 in my opinion. But i would prefer Leather Pads like on my Audeze LCD X from 2016.

Is it worth to make the Fazor on the driver?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #1,152 of 1,409
Is there adhesive glue pads like on the audeze lcd line pads? I dont want use liquid glue. Or there can i buy the 3D printed Pad Adapters? Do you prefer some Earpads for the M1060C?

There are pad adhesive rings you can buy, but I just go with a thin double sided tape from Amazon. I may have to try @PolloLoco's microsuction tape in the future.

Sep 4, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #1,154 of 1,409
Perfect Idea, Thank You! Which Pads do you prefer? I have to say, im using the Grill Mod, to have an Open Version. They sound similar to the LCD 2 in my opinion. But i would prefer Leather Pads like on my Audeze LCD X from 2016.

Is it worth to make the Fazor on the driver?

I'm using ZMF Auteur pads in sheepskin leather. You can see from the picture - they barely overhang on the top and bottom. I was more concerned about not blocking the driver, so I wanted the biggest opening possible. From what I can see - I think the driver is nearly completely unblocked under the mesh of the ZMF pads. The two pairs of ZMF pads I've owned have been higher quality than any others I've tried - including Dekoni and Vesper. Vesper pads come 2nd in my opinion.

As for fazors, I put them on the pad side - but eventually took them out. I found they recessed the mids too much. If you want a bigger soundstage at the expense of intimate mids - you may prefer fazors.

20200904_132731.jpg

Sep 4, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #1,155 of 1,409
Which Pads do you prefer for the m1060c? And should i make the fazor for the open grilled mod?

The pads I prefer are the Audeze Vegan pads, but they are damn hard to get your hands on these days. I had Vesper Audio make some custom alcantara pads that are very similar to Vegan pads, so that's an option for those that can't find a set of the Audeze pads.

As for the fazor, I can't speak to that as I never added one. Instead I did the "fuzzor" mod on both the grill side and ear pad side and loved the improvement to the stage and mids, and the fact that I didn't lose any low end. I am a known basshead, I don't enjoy a headphone without some grunt in the bottom end of the FR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back