Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
May 13, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #1,036 of 1,409
I know it’s a very silly question but I wonder if these headphones can match the bass power of Sony XB950.
I like to boost low frequencies with eq like crazy and I wonder if these headphones will play my music loud without distortion and with enough bass punch to make minimal techno enjoyable.
I was testing DT770 for a week and I loved how they sound with my awful eq settings but I could only play them at 25% of my desired volume or they would start to distort badly. I had to switch them to sony which have much worse sound quality but just enough bass for my type of music. I hope these can match XB950 power with the quality of sound of DT770 with some unique planar sound signature.

May 13, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #1,037 of 1,409
I know it’s a very silly question but I wonder if these headphones can match the bass power of Sony XB950.
I like to boost low frequencies with eq like crazy and I wonder if these headphones will play my music loud without distortion and with enough bass punch to make minimal techno enjoyable.
I was testing DT770 for a week and I loved how they sound with my awful eq settings but I could only play them at 25% of my desired volume or they would start to distort badly. I had to switch them to sony which have much worse sound quality but just enough bass for my type of music. I hope these can match XB950 power with the quality of sound of DT770 with some unique planar sound signature.
It depends how much 'like crazy' means. Like most cheap basshead phones, the XB950 actually doesn't do that well at 20Hz, but has a broad hump centered around 100Hz, which is probably where you should put your EQ if you want to match its signature. I just tested my 1060Cs and they go down to 31Hz, the very deepest 20Hz warble tone is a lot quieter, but I think very few headphones can really manage truly deep subbass. It can certainly take a +10dB boost at 100Hz while playing what (to me) seems fairly loud. I suspect the problem you were having is that the DT770 actually has a dip at 100Hz, so your EQ would have been fighting against that.

May 13, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #1,038 of 1,409
Well I just got my pair yesterday and have spent several hours listening to them so far. I'll probably hold off on starting to mod them for a week or so just to check that everything's OK and I don't have to RMA them.

First impressions: yes, they're heavy, especially compared to the (plastic) Sennheiser HD580 Jubilees I'm used to (these are the OG 580Js I've had since 1995 and basically the same as the HD600 that followed it). Most of the weight seems to be in the almunium driver mounts as the wooden cups seem pretty light.While I can notice the weight if I move my head back and forth I've had no problem wearing them for a few hours.
They're definitely more comfortable than I was expecting. I've read the reports of people complaining about the headband and getting a hotspot on the tops of their head, but I experienced no problem at all with it. I've order a woolen headband sock to cover it, but frankly don't know if I'll need it.
The pads are fine. Nice and deep so my pinna doesn't touch the insides and they form a perfect seal even though I wear glasses with thick arms. I noticed my ears felt slightly hot when taking them off after a couple of hours, so they might get a little sweaty for those living in warmer climes, but it never gets really hot here in Manchester, so I'm not worried about that.
The lack of end-stops on the swivels does mean the ear cups will flip around unpredictably under the tension of the headband spring, and that's slightly annoying. But it's a very minor deal.
[Edit] I forgot to mention: the stock cable is 2m long, which is probably a decent length for most users, though my setup is best with a 3m cable.

The sound
I have to admit that when I first plugged them into the Schiit Heresy I use with my Sennheisers I thought I'd made a mistake buying them. Part of this was probably my brain struggling to adjust to the different timbre, but it just sounded off. Things got better after an hour or so as I acclimatised. But I then decided to try the old Musical Fidelity Xcans amp that I bought 25 years ago. This is a hybrid tube amp that I've heavily modded over the years (upgraded the caps, swapped out the opamps to 49720s, upgraded the BD139s to a better version from ON Semi, changed tubes to a pair of 1974 Reflektors), but never really gelled with the Sennheisers, which is why I bought the Heresy (which drives them perfectly).

But wow, the 1060Cs came alive when I plugged them into the Xcans. The high-end from 1kHz up lost its harshness and became for more liquid, without losing its incisiveness and the bass retained its authority and slam. I've always been a bit sceptical of those who claim that amps can make a big difference, but there certainly seemed to be something going on here. Maybe it was just because I'd grown accustomed to the different sound at this point, but I felt a clear subjective improvement immediately on swapping over. I'll have to go back at some point once I've worked out how to calibrate the volume so they are both at the same level. The one big disadvantage of the Xcans is that they have a 49ohm output impedance, which isn't a big deal for the 300ohm Sennheisers, but means the 18ohm 1060Cs are suffering a mismatch and some of the power is lost. Therefore even though I tried matching the output voltages from each with a multimeter, the Xcans sounded noticeably quieter into the 1060Cs. The Xcans have plenty of power, though, and can easily supply the current they need even though I had to turn the volume up a bit.

The one thing that quickly became clear was just how much detail these things were presenting. The old story about hearing things you didn't realise were there is a bit of a cliche, but I listened to Daniel Barenboim's On My New Piano and found I was hearing the sounds of his enthusiastic pedal action, details which had completely escaped me on the Sennheisers. The piano's timbre also sounded far more natural and alive.

Right now, running them completely stock, these are definitely a keeper when mated to the XCans. But I'm certainly looking forward to modding them.

I couldn't resist taking the wooden end cup off to have a look, and noticed that the pair I bought last week had a date code from 2018. (Also, the driver covering is black instead of the white material seen in early samples in this thread.)
IMG_20200513_112350.jpg
Monoprice probably just did a big production run when they were first launched. Given that Monoprice's EU store seldom does much in the way of discounts (and then only for very brief periods) I have to wonder if the recent price drop on these means they're effectively EOL and anyone thinking of trying these should jump now before they go out of stock.

While I still haven't been able to find an EU source for the damping material that @Dawnrazor mentioned, I thought I'd try some material that's used for damping vibration in cars, and found I could get a sample sheet that should be large enough for both sides for £2.50 (free shipping) from Silent Coat. It's 2mm thick and seems to be a similar sort of constrained-layer damping material, though it uses a form of quilting. Another option is Dodomat.
Nice post and glad you are digging them. Lots of improvements ahead of you and I bet right now you can see the magic of planars. I used the 3m damping sheets because I think it dampens better but also because it is THIN. Important IMHO on the pad side, but not sooo much on the back side. My 1060c has 3 strips of dynamat on the back side. So do experiment with the silent coat, etc. Also find some cork sheets with adhesive. Easy to cut and should dampen different frequencies I think. My m1060s have some cork and 3m on the back side.

FWIW not sure about the EOL. Price is back up.

Also my 1060cs had black too IIRC.

Interested to see how it works out for you!

May 13, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #1,039 of 1,409
Never heard the Sonys. THough I just put on these songs and blasted the crap out of it. No bass distortion. In fact there was soooo much bass and the clamp isnt much that I could feel the cans slapping against the side of my head when the deeper notes hit. It was all way too loud for me but damn it was thumping at 12pm on the hafler amp. Though the caveat is that it will be amp dependent and my m1060s and M1060cs are all modded. The mods have the effect of increasing bass resolution and overdamping things which I fix by adjusting my BBE sonic maximizer and adding some bass boost from the Hafler. They are 106mm drivers so yeah they can do deep bass at volume.

Pretty sure the bass is the FIRST area youtube compression messes with but here is what I listened to to see. Not sure if its techno but you can judge for yourself.

May 13, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #1,040 of 1,409
About 106mm drivers.. How can monoprice and Audeze state it, as it measures around 70x50mm to me??

May 13, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #1,041 of 1,409
About 106mm drivers.. How can monoprice and Audeze state it, as it measures around 70x50mm to me??
I have to take it apart to be sure but I think the driver is that big its just that the opening is smaller. Like the driver just doesn't stop at the last trench.

May 13, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #1,042 of 1,409
Monoprice probably just did a big production run when they were first launched. Given that Monoprice's EU store seldom does much in the way of discounts (and then only for very brief periods) I have to wonder if the recent price drop on these means they're effectively EOL and anyone thinking of trying these should jump now before they go out of stock.

I got mine for a sale price they had right when they became available there and mine also had production date from 2018.
Have been thinking of getting a second pair as I like the modded sound. Would also be nice to do some measurements on the stock phones. Hopefully they're not going out of stock soon. :L3000:

There's also another HP that looks quite similar. Don't know how the sound is though:

1589403664676.png

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #1,043 of 1,409
May 13, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #1,044 of 1,409
I have to take it apart to be sure but I think the driver is that big its just that the opening is smaller. Like the driver just doesn't stop at the last trench.
I really really would like to see it mh :)

May 13, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #1,045 of 1,409
jamming out. Man the system is sounding sooooo good. All the mods and some new gear paying off. Soooo clear and detailed but warm and inviting. Been singing all night. Good luck on the mods. These cans will respond well

May 14, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #1,046 of 1,409
having borrowed my friend's 1060s, i found the bass wonderful, deep, and loudspeaker like, i didn't even miss the visceral punch. and i mean speakers that don't need a subwoofer. i sat for MANY hours in front of my other friend's big IMF monitors that were flat to 16Hz. the ringing in the lower highs and less than hi-rez midrange left me a little wanting but my Drop Hifiman 4XXs are VERY natural in the mids. i will post about the 4XXs later but i like them a lot.

i have a pair of Grado PS1000s that i won in a raffle, i am sure they will wake up when i get my monolith THX DAC/amp. in addition, i have AT50s that are pretty flat across the spectrum including the lows (better than 4XXs in deep bass).

the 1060Cs are tempting but they must wait. another set i find tempting is the audeze LCD1s. haven't heard them but wonder about the bass, the price is livable.

May 14, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #1,047 of 1,409
another set i find tempting is the audeze LCD1s. haven't heard them but wonder about the bass, the price is livable.
From the reviews I've seen the LCD-1s are lackluster ("makes life kinder for those of limited means" -HiFi News) with recessed upper end and a lot of HF ringing. If you're looking at sub $500 planars the best alternative to the 1060C would be the Verum 1, though the Sundara is also worth considering.

May 14, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #1,048 of 1,409
DSC_2871.JPG

I mean, just the whole cup itself is 106mm, i don't see how can it be a 106mm driver? As maybe if opening the cup you can see just a 70x50mm driver, with his zig-zag planar strips? How.

May 14, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #1,049 of 1,409
DSC_2871.JPG
I mean, just the whole cup itself is 106mm, i don't see how can it be a 106mm driver? As maybe if opening the cup you can see just a 70x50mm driver, with his zig-zag planar strips? How.
Guessing from the bottom where the wire comes in to the top, is what they are talking about

I cant see from the pict what the measurements are

Anyhow its kind of moot anyhow. They sound amazing no matter the size

May 16, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #1,050 of 1,409
will the hifiman headbands fit? If not what are people doing to replace the stock headband. All I saw was a cotton wrap to go around the existing headband, and one was a custom designed headband. Anyone I can just buy and replace?

Also what pads. I have some Dekoni valour (no like) and Dekoni Hybrids (like) and some sheepskins from the Accessory house (like). Any others I should try?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back