Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Apr 7, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #1,006 of 1,409
Apr 16, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #1,008 of 1,409
Here are some cheap options for M1060C Open Back Grills. There are several wood craft companies that make circular rings, ornaments etc using plywood. They usually come in 4 inch or 5 inch sizes but they will happily cut one in exactly the size you need (104mm or I think 4 1/8 will also fit). Best thing is the cost, they cost anywhere between $1 each to $7 for a ten-pack. Best way to mount them would be using thin strips of removable double sided gel tape. Here are some example links.. Remember, you will have to specify the exact size you need when ordering.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/270725...-out-unfinished?ref=pla_similar_listing_top-1
https://www.etsy.com/listing/494995236/circle-design-laser-cut-out-unfinished?ref=reviews
https://woodcrafter.com/peace-sign-cutout-3-x-3-package-of-10/
https://woodcrafter.com/star-of-david-ornament-4-x-4-package-of-10/
https://woodcrafter.com/wood-snowflake-8-ornament-4-x-4-5-package-of-10/

So I took this idea and ran with it a bit. Knowing the lockdown was coming I bought a pair of M1060c's to mod and do practically daily experiments on. In terms of sonics, the best improvement I have heard was just removing the covers and making them open.

I bought some 104mm diameter pieces from the etsy store listed above, and tried a few different ways of staining them. I bought 8 circles, specifying the 104mm outer diameter for about $12 altogether shipped. The red ones were my first and worst. I best liked using stain with polyurethane, three coats, steel wool in between. The last and lightest picture had no sanding, keeping the cool lazer marks by just adding clear coat.

I then glued them with Elmer's glue to thin speaker cloth. I left excess on the edge to create a snug fit and make them interchangeable. The fit is so snug that after 20 hours of listening they don't budge. I have only listened to the thinner dream catcher pattern so far and I'm convinced its sonically transparent.

Since the speaker cloth acts as a dust screen I removed the paper over the drivers. I'm not so sure that was necessary. Careful - don't use metal tools to scrape it off because the magnets may pull the tool into the drivers.

I'm going to add fazors to the pad side next - probably this weekend. I'm also going to try different ways of making the closed covers a similar snug fit - hoping to improve on the thick sponge monoprice added.

Attachments

• 20200411_093601.jpg
    20200411_093601.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200416_101318.jpg
    20200416_101318.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200416_101923.jpg
    20200416_101923.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200416_101556.jpg
    20200416_101556.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #1,009 of 1,409
Hi everyone. Ordered these as soon as they became available at monoprice.eu.
Having now owned them for about a month, here is my mod for them.

The mod will have the effect of removing the upper midrange spike, thightening the bass and increasing treble without turning them into an open set.
The mod consists of two parts, which are the following: 1. filling out the chassis cavities (this removes midrange spike) and 2. replacing the rear damping (this increases treble).

The materials needed for the mod are two sheets of self-adhesive furniture felt pad material, one sheet with about 3,5mm thickness and one with about 4,5mm thickness.

Photo 1 shows the first part of the mod completed. There are 7 empty cavities in the chassis around the driver. I knew from experience that this easily causes midrange gain/ringing. So what I did was fill the cavities each with 2 pieces of the 3.5mm furniture felt material. One attached to the outer wall of the cavity and one attached to the inner driverside wall of the cavity.

The second part of the mod begins with removing the stock rear damping from between the driver and the cup: the three low density foam pads (Photo 2). This is what is mostly drowning the treble.
The next step is to cut two fitting pieces from the 4.5mm thick felt pad for the cups and then attach these felt pieces to the cup (Photos 3-4). Do not push them all the way down to the cup's lowest part - this will make the bass overbearing.

Oh, and also do reinsert the stock felt pads that were between the drivers and the 3 removed foam pads.

And that's pretty much it, except for reattaching the cups (Photo 5).

This mod has some room for adjustment with the rear damping. I tried the 3.5mm material there too, but it felt (heh) slightly too trebly/shouty for me. Which is why put the 4.5mm thick pieces there. Also changing the curvature on this piece (pushing it further down closer to the cup's bottom) will have an effect on bass quality/quantity.

After some further experimenting found a better rear damping.
This is 2.5mm thickness furniture felt (self-adhesive), pushed down to the cup's bottom. Here the sound signature is pretty much where I would want it to be, with enough treble to be lively but still clean.
Probably won't be modding these much further.

20200411_184222.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #1,010 of 1,409
This is 2.5mm thickness furniture felt (self-adhesive), pushed down to the cup's bottom. Here the sound signature is pretty much where I would want it to be, with enough treble to be lively but still clean.
Probably won't be modding these much further. These are now my favorite closed headphone.

20200411_184222.jpg

Is that 2.5mm furniture felt now the only rear damping you're using? Or are you still using some of the felt/sponge these originally came with?

Apr 16, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #1,011 of 1,409
Is that 2.5mm furniture felt now the only rear damping you're using? Or are you still using some of the felt/sponge these originally came with?

I'm using the two that can be seen in the picture: the added white felt and the large gray (stock) felt pads between drivers and cups. The three foam pads that are the stock rear damping behind the gray felt pads are removed.

Apr 16, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #1,012 of 1,409
Probably won't be modding these much further. These are now my favorite closed headphone.

20200411_184222.jpg

Did you buy that felt online? I may try that as one of my experiments.

Apr 16, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #1,013 of 1,409
Did you buy that felt online? I may try that as one of my experiments.

No, it was a local shop and local brand that is sold mostly in Nordic countries and Baltic countries. But I think there are various forms of furniture felt sheets available elsewhere too. A tour of local shops could help. 2.5mm is less thick than most of these.

Apr 21, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #1,015 of 1,409
I would like to purchase a pair of M1060c
Damn, looks like is full of mods and modders, i'm a noob, never did such. Can someone explain if in case i want an 'open' M1060c i can easily remove the cup with a screwdriver? So that would be 2 headphones in one :)

Apr 21, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #1,016 of 1,409
I would like to purchase a pair of M1060c
Damn, looks like is full of mods and modders, i'm a noob, never did such. Can someone explain if in case i want an 'open' M1060c i can easily remove the cup with a screwdriver? So that would be 2 headphones in one :)

Yep, all you would need to do would be to use a small screwdriver. After that you would just store the cover and roughly 4 pieces of foam on each side. And just like that, the headphones will sound a lot cleaner.

Apr 21, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #1,017 of 1,409
That's sound really appealing. I guess it requires just few seconds to transform it open/closed.
What about without foam, as from what i know it makes sound more 'open'? So would fit better my gaming use :)
Edit: sorry, i didn't read well.. So foam is out while opening it. What for being closed? Better without foam?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #1,018 of 1,409
So I took this idea and ran with it a bit. Knowing the lockdown was coming I bought a pair of M1060c's to mod and do practically daily experiments on. In terms of sonics, the best improvement I have heard was just removing the covers and making them open.

I bought some 104mm diameter pieces from the etsy store listed above, and tried a few different ways of staining them. I bought 8 circles, specifying the 104mm outer diameter for about $12 altogether shipped. The red ones were my first and worst. I best liked using stain with polyurethane, three coats, steel wool in between. The last and lightest picture had no sanding, keeping the cool lazer marks by just adding clear coat.

I then glued them with Elmer's glue to thin speaker cloth. I left excess on the edge to create a snug fit and make them interchangeable. The fit is so snug that after 20 hours of listening they don't budge. I have only listened to the thinner dream catcher pattern so far and I'm convinced its sonically transparent.

Since the speaker cloth acts as a dust screen I removed the paper over the drivers. I'm not so sure that was necessary. Careful - don't use metal tools to scrape it off because the magnets may pull the tool into the drivers.

I'm going to add fazors to the pad side next - probably this weekend. I'm also going to try different ways of making the closed covers a similar snug fit - hoping to improve on the thick sponge monoprice added.
That's some top notch work

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #1,019 of 1,409
I didn't want to create a unique post for this (nor do I seem to have privileges), so I thought I'd pose this question to M1060C owners.

Long time dynamic over ear user here looking to experience Planar technology for the first time. I'm TORN.. between Monoprice M1060C, M1070, and Hifiman Sundara. I'm a bit of a basshead, but I appreciate separation and clarity. I'd mainly use with a portable or desktop amp for music and gaming. I like closed back for bass but appreciate open back for soundstage (though huge soundstage is not critical). I see all this M1060c modding and wonder if I should just be considering open back, IE the M1070 or Sundara. But.. I see very little on M1070, and saw a slightly negative response to a graph. I'm not that much a PRO at this though that a graph or a peak in one area is a deal breaker for me.

Any input is appreciated!!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #1,020 of 1,409
That's some top notch work

Thanks. I'm a beginner at this, anyone can do it. It's that easy and I find it fun.

The wood patterns worked out to roughly $2 a piece. The speaker cloth was $10 a yard if you don't already have it. The stains I already had from different projects. Though I plan to try some more patterns with a cherry red stain if I can find it with polyurethane included.

When I get some more wood shapes in, one of the first things I plan to try is making the original closed wood covers easily replaceable. With no need for a screwdriver. My goal is to pop them off and on, open to closed, in seconds.

I'll report back how well it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back