Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
May 1, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #451 of 1,409
A/B-ing the HE560 and M1060c Open Vegan has them sounding very similar to each other. The HE560 is ever so slightly a bit better, but it needs EQ for better bass. M1060c no EQ sounds like the EQed HE560 sound I like. The M1060c can then EQ even more bass which I enjoy.

At their original prices, the M1060c open with vegans is the better value. At $350, it's hard to deny the value of the HE560 with a balanced cable. I've been trying to decide which one I would sell and I just can't choose.

May 1, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #452 of 1,409
A/B-ing the HE560 and M1060c Open Vegan has them sounding very similar to each other. The HE560 is ever so slightly a bit better, but it needs EQ for better bass. M1060c no EQ sounds like the EQed HE560 sound I like. The M1060c can then EQ even more bass which I enjoy.

At their original prices, the M1060c open with vegans is the better value. At $350, it's hard to deny the value of the HE560 with a balanced cable. I've been trying to decide which one I would sell and I just can't choose.
Have been enjoying this thread since it started. General question as this comment drew my attention to it; do you often find yourself spending money on headphones that will likely sound similar to something you already own? To keep on topic please feel free to answer just in relation to the HE560s and M1060Cs of course but I'm trying to build a headphone collection while staying on budget so your answer here would be helpful (or anyone else that is A/Bing these to other cans). Thank you.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #453 of 1,409

Don't forget a lot of us paid around 270 for the m1060c, but yeah I was in the market for a closed back headphone and the m1060c in its stock form far surpassed my expectations, more so with EQ. Still looking for an open back with a similar signature but for now (and for like 7 years before) I'll keep sticking with 650. A lot of people hate on monoprice, but for the short period they've been in the mid-fi market they've disrupted the crap out of the high end market, definitely have some hopes for their upcoming amps and dynamics.

May 1, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #454 of 1,409
Don't forget a lot of us paid around 270 for the m1060c, but yeah I was in the market for a closed back headphone and the m1060c in its stock form far surpassed my expectations, more so with EQ. Still looking for an open back with a similar signature but for now (and for like 7 years before) I'll keep sticking with 650. A lot of people hate on monoprice, but for the short period they've been in the mid-fi market they've disrupted the **** out of the high end market, definitely have some hopes for their upcoming amps and dynamics.

IllI be buying that THX amp/dac the day it comes out. It keeps getting pushed back though, went from May to July release.

May 2, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #456 of 1,409
I feel the opposite. They are more fun than my HE560 by far.

HE560 was extremely lifeless, I hated that can.

You should try a pair of ZMF Vibro MKII, they run circles around the entire Monolith line up. I got mine for $260 used here on Head-Fi. Also they are hand made with love, look gorgeous, and that sweet sweet wood cup sound.

May 2, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #458 of 1,409
Used ZMFs for $260? Sign me up!

I made a thread awhile back, asking to buy a ZMF headphone of any kind, and I got several hits. You should try it. :wink: I am not kidding when I say the Vibro MKII runs circles around everything else I have heard. I hear the Blackwoods are better, but those are around $350 used.

May 2, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #459 of 1,409
I made a thread awhile back, asking to buy a ZMF headphone of any kind, and I got several hits. You should try it. :wink: I am not kidding when I say the Vibro MKII runs circles around everything else I have heard. I hear the Blackwoods are better, but those are around $350 used.

Cant imagine the ori then....

May 2, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #461 of 1,409
Many ZMF owners who have heard all 3 would argue the Ori doesn't sound better than Vibros or Blackwood, it just sounds different. ZMF cans across the board are all top notch.

I tried only atticus and auteur and they are very good hps for being dynamic (i prefer planars).
In every review i read ori was considered better than the others. Actually i don't know if it's true. I'd like to try at least ori

May 3, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #463 of 1,409
Too bad there's nowhere to go to in Canada for headphone testing. Would make my purchasing decision so much easier.

May 3, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #465 of 1,409
save up some money and go to a headphone convention someday, even if it takes a few years, its a worthwhile experience / fun
I'll have to go that route, unfortunately. Thanks for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back