Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Mar 5, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #211 of 1,409
Screw it ordering dynamt
I think its a matter of closed versus open , its just that i didnt expect that much loss in air and clarity
this is way i love my th-900 ,, it never sound close at all.

I just ordered mine so getting nervous now as there are mixed opinions. Is there anywhere in particular it falls short for you? The graphs looked OK. I have a circle cutter compass and dynamat on the way.

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #212 of 1,409
now i am listening to (Amber Rubarth - Hold On) with my stock 1060 with hugo2 and i don't think i am missing lot compared to an HE-1000 for example, its a great great headphone and i am expecting a lot from a modded 1060c , so don't get nervous , sound wise they are ok , not bad , but not the best .. its just that for a person who has 2 open pairs , one stock & modded , knowing that old is a little bit better , and reaching for the old instead of the new one is not the greatest feeling :frowning2:

i forget to mention that they smell out of the box , but its not a big deal ,, hopefully smell will go with time.

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #213 of 1,409
now i am listening to (Amber Rubarth - Hold On) with my stock 1060 with hugo2 and i don't think i am missing lot compared to an HE-1000 for example, its a great great headphone and i am expecting a lot from a modded 1060c , so don't get nervous , sound wise they are ok , not bad , but not the best .. its just that for a person who has 2 open pairs , one stock & modded , knowing that old is a little bit better , and reaching for the old instead of the new one is not the greatest feeling :frowning2:

i forget to mention that they smell out of the box , but its not a big deal ,, hopefully smell will go with time.

I am also waiting on my T50RP Argon so not sure what they will be like. It also seems like reviews are not coming out that fast for them. I like DMS3 but I still didn't get a good idea of how they sounded after his review. Although he did say they would be his new daily driver so they must be somewhat decent.

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #214 of 1,409
I am also waiting on my T50RP Argon so not sure what they will be like. It also seems like reviews are not coming out that fast for them. I like DMS3 but I still didn't get a good idea of how they sounded after his review. Although he did say they would be his new daily driver so they must be somewhat decent.
i got the Argon last month , i hope u have a very powerful amp to power them , my HPA8 is struggling with them ,
i think you and me should stop flowing youtube reviews :)

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #215 of 1,409
I was just curious. Did everyone just go for the M1060C or did someone give the M565C a shot? I'm beginning to think Monoprice should have released the smaller can first, got them out there and then in a few months released the M1060C. It seems to have killed the little guys sales. It may turn out to be a really Amazing headphone that no one is buying because its been overshadowed by its big brother. I have yet to see a single review of them.

Lasher

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #216 of 1,409
I was just curious. Did everyone just go for the M1060C or did someone give the M565C a shot? I'm beginning to think Monoprice should have released the smaller can first, got them out there and then in a few months released the M1060C. It seems to have killed the little guys sales. It may turn out to be a really Amazing headphone that no one is buying because its been overshadowed by its big brother. I have yet to see a single review of them.

Lasher

Yep I was thinking the same.

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #217 of 1,409
i got the Argon last month , i hope u have a very powerful amp to power them , my HPA8 is struggling with them ,
i think you and me should stop flowing youtube reviews :)

I actually have the FX-Audio DAC-X6 in high gain mode and it works pretty darn good. I also have the DAC-X7 which I just got today.

https://imgur.com/a/OEwBD

It was the 1060c or TH-X00.

Mar 5, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #218 of 1,409
Mar 5, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #219 of 1,409
i dont get you ?

btw nice dac , i love the 4490 , one of my favored dac chips .. very smooth.

Sorry I meant that I was going to get a Fostex or the m1060c.

I also had a Denon AH-D2000 which was OK and supposed to be similar to the th-x00. I do like the t50rp(t-x0) so was leaning to the planar anyways.

Mar 5, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #220 of 1,409
i dont get you ?

i dont get you ?

This is my first decent DAC and was sent a review sample :wink: can report it has that "velvet sound" and plenty of power. The power button acts as a input switch and when you power it off it reverts back to the last audio source in windows.

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #221 of 1,409
I got some grills ordered and some eikon suede pads coming, should give me some options to start modding.

Has anyone removed their pads yet? Is there any issues removing them and putting them back on incase i need to rma at some point?

DMS3 said something about the screen deterioates when pads are removed.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #222 of 1,409
If anyone is curious to see how they measure with the cups off I did it here:
Monoprice M1060C Cup Off.png

Strangely, despite the upper midrange measuring lower, they still sound harsh to me in the 1-2k region which may be an indication that the ortho wall in my CSDs is actually audible and not just in my head. Cups, on my opinion still hasn't changed; still don't like them.

Mar 6, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #223 of 1,409
Mar 6, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #224 of 1,409

Lasher
lets take a minute and appreciate this post. so you think that the fact that nobody talks about this one, suggests that it is a brilliant product. This is the level of expert commentary that ya'll need to aspire to folks.

Mar 6, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #225 of 1,409
After seeing the DMS3 FR graph with the clear boost at ~1.7 KHz, started playing with EQ. Reducing that peak does indeed improve the mids. With EQ, the mids are less "tinny" and definitely smoother. Here's the EQ setting that sounds best to my ears

upload_2018-3-6_8-39-9.png

Freq / Gain / Quality / Bandwith / Filter type
500 Hz / +1.5 db / 1 / 1.38 oct / peak
1.7 KHz / -4.5 db / 2 / .71 oct / peak
3.5 KHz / +2 db / 3.5 / .41 oct / peak
6.3 KHz / +2 db / 3.5 / .41 oct / peak

Global gain: -2 db

FWIW, I use equalizer APO to fine-tune the EQ but then implement the EQ in Foobar (RS-Met EasyQ + VST 2_4 adapter) since APO does not appear to support WASAPI.

Going back and forth between these and my MrSpeakers AFCs, the latter just sound dead, flat, boring. It is definitely worth adding a bit of EQ to the M1060Cs given their excellence in soundstage, imaging, and musicality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back