Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Mar 2, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #196 of 1,409
So what pads to get eikon suede or lambskin?

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #198 of 1,409
Ive been dying to try out a set of zmf pads, got me the suede. Thinking I might get some ori's for my m560's also.

Mar 3, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #199 of 1,409
I agree with your whole post, but even more so with the above excerpt. I'm an EQ guy too and I can't understand the hate. HERE is a blog post I made on AudioHolikz about it.

I like to think of EQ as a dirty word for IEM and most dynamic headphones. They usually have almost a order of magnitude higher harmonic distortions at higher volumn compared to a planar when EQed upward. For planars, it's almost like a must these days. Isines for example came with insane preEQed cipher cable. Its just much harder to tune planar driver it seems.

M1060c out of the box, sounds like it can use a bit of burn in to get rid of certain siblience. After a few hours, it already sound a lot better. After EQing against DMS3's measurements, it sounded almost perfect now. I'm really satisfied with it. I listen to a lot of EDM, orchestras, rocks and hiphops. Sounds great all around! Highly recommended.

Mar 4, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #200 of 1,409
cant wait for a proper mod ,, they need one for sure .
i just got my pair and i feel it miss some air and details compared to stock 1060
also i dont like the extra wight ,, its not comfortable as the open back ,,
will burn it for 50-60hours and report back (although my other 1060's didnt need any burning)

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #202 of 1,409
Between the m1060 and 1060c I am surprised nobody has tried to make a pad ring. What I mean is when you remove the pads is there anywhere that screws could be used to mount a pad ring so there would be no need for glue anymore.

Mar 5, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #203 of 1,409
Between the m1060 and 1060c I am surprised nobody has tried to make a pad ring. What I mean is when you remove the pads is there anywhere that screws could be used to mount a pad ring so there would be no need for glue anymore.

No easily accessible screw holes afaik. The only screws there are ones that hold the fazor together, which are ones you don't want to touch.

Fazor pad v4 allows for pad rolling if the double sided tape you use is sticky enough though.

Mar 5, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #204 of 1,409
No easily accessible screw holes afaik. The only screws there are ones that hold the fazor together, which are ones you don't want to touch.

Fazor pad v4 allows for pad rolling if the double sided tape you use is sticky enough though.

Are you saying if those inside screws are taken off it messes up the driver?

If someone did create one and you replaced them with slightly longer screws would it work?

So what you would have is a circular plate with 4 screw holes and a opening for the driver. The outside of the plate would be up a few millimeters to allow pads to be changed easily.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #205 of 1,409
Are you saying if those inside screws are taken off it messes up the driver?

Yes, DMS3 TV and a few other people ruined their M1060s by removing those screws that hold the magnet and drivers together. The driver wasn't ever designed to be taken apart.

Mar 5, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #206 of 1,409
Yes, DMS3 TV and a few other people ruined their M1060s by removing those screws that hold the magnet and drivers together. The driver wasn't ever designed to be taken apart.

Crap, is there any recommended glue and solvent for cleaning old glue off?

Also does anyone know id the Audeze headband and yokes will fit directly on?

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #208 of 1,409
Crap, is there any recommended glue and solvent for cleaning old glue off?

It is more like a very sticky double sided tape than a glue fyi.

Mar 5, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #209 of 1,409
cant wait for a proper mod ,, they need one for sure .
i just got my pair and i feel it miss some air and details compared to stock 1060
also i dont like the extra wight ,, its not comfortable as the open back ,,
will burn it for 50-60hours and report back (although my other 1060's didnt need any burning)

I wonder would fenestrated or velour/suede pads open them up a little and would the xmf pilot pad fit on these?

Also how about dampening on the wood cup?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #210 of 1,409
I wonder would fenestrated or velour/suede pads open them up a little and would the xmf pilot pad fit on these?

Also how about dampening on the wood cup?
I think its a matter of closed versus open , its just that i didnt expect that much loss in air and clarity
this is way i love my th-900 ,, it never sound close at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back