Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Mar 1, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #181 of 1,409
Does that make me or others less of an "Audiophile" because we prefer to alter the sound to our liking? I also use EQ. To some that is just blasphemy. I'm not offended by their opinion just because it differs from my own. I listen to my music for my personal pleasure and really don't give a crap if someone else disagrees with the way I do it.

Lasher

I agree with your whole post, but even more so with the above excerpt. I'm an EQ guy too and I can't understand the hate. HERE is a blog post I made on AudioHolikz about it.

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #182 of 1,409
I wouldn't pair the 1060c with a tube amp because it is already a warm can. You also can help or hurt what they are doing with tube rolling and it is similar as to using eq because you are coloring the sound with the tubes. Planar are best suited to solid state so that should be the first choice with them . I like the open version better but have certainly found areas where the closed version excel. I have noticed they do very well strait out of an ipad or my little fiio rig so that's certainly a plus, would be more so if they weren't so big and heavy to be a portable rig lol.

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #183 of 1,409
I wouldn't pair the 1060c with a tube amp because it is already a warm can. You also can help or hurt what they are doing with tube rolling and it is similar as to using eq because you are coloring the sound with the tubes. Planar are best suited to solid state so that should be the first choice with them . I like the open version better but have certainly found areas where the closed version excel. I have noticed they do very well strait out of an ipad or my little fiio rig so that's certainly a plus, would be more so if they weren't so big and heavy to be a portable rig lol.
Again this goes to me doing things a little different. My Tube amp, the Darkvoice 336se has pre-amp outputs which I use as a front end for my Emotiva BasX A-100 whenever I drive Planars. I find it keeps the Tube soundstage and warm fuzziness that I just can't live without but provides all the punch of this Monster of a solid state amp. Really an Amazing combo if you are a tube junkie like me with a love of Planars :)

Lasher

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #184 of 1,409
With no evidence, this is a pretty irresponsible comment. I find DMS to be a very even-handed reviewer. In any case, given the downwardly spiraling direction of this conversation, I'm out.

I’m not calling him in particular inherently biased, I’m calling the idea of having a relationship with a company to receive review units a potential cause of bias. It sort of goes along with an article Lachlan made a few years ago:
http://www.lachlanlikesathing.com/2014/06/review-units-hurt-audio-community-how.html?m=1

I don’t necessarily agree with everything and do believe that there is a balance—reviewers obviously can’t buy everything, especially brand new products that people may be interested in. But when someone does receive a product directly from a company, they are generally bound to sugar coat things a little so they can continue to receive products from that company and continue the mutually benefitting relationship.

Just send it back for a refund and stop posting here then... if we don't like it we will send it back within 30 days, if we like it we keep it, simple as that.

So these threads have to be an echo chamber of positivity?

Except it's a completely different driver from the open 1060....so.....Ok.

I’m not saying it’s the same driver; the effects that the closed cup have on the driver seem to suggest that this driver would perform better as an open headphone, as many closed headphones don’t exhibit these same traits.

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #185 of 1,409
That’s another reason I want to be able to make these convertibles. I think a grill would work amazing with these. I take the wood off and leave them open and they sound great. Too bad they didn’t make these like the m560’s and have magnetic cups that are removable. As soon as someone makes a 3D printed design that works for these I will send it to a 3D print place and have them made in heart beat. They are more of a v shape closed, you can’t buy a closed back headphone and not expect them to sound like a closed back headphone. These have huge potential. I can wait for people who have modding skills to take a plunge on these. I love the sound they put out either way.

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #186 of 1,409
So these threads have to be an echo chamber of positivity?

While my view on the M1060c differs from yours, I for one don't agree with you being told not to post here. You and your opinion are as welcome here as any other. This is an open forum, for both positive and negative thoughts on the headphones.

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #187 of 1,409
DMS has had them for months. Monoprice sent them to him in like October or something. Or an engineering sample at least.

I was waiting on this review...no sign of it yet.

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #188 of 1,409
Mar 2, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #191 of 1,409
so I took out the two smaller pads that are in the cup, and put in two japanese cotton pads on each side between the wood cups and the big pad. totally brought the pushed back mids forwards.

this is the cotton I use, pads are the same size as the drivers
https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Japa...5&keywords=Japanese+Organic+Unbleached+Cotton

I use it for wicking my vape so I have a lot around. Totally fixed the only thing I saw was in issue with these cans. Not sure how it differs from normal cotton but it works.

It toned down the base a little more too and made it more neutral. Made a huge difference in sound.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #192 of 1,409
Dms modded his, this is a sneek peak of what he did
j2oz8dktTg1_9sKzfO0rq8CZzXW3IN1334ZOgkYH9K45-dGlUEWlD_bf0KEkU_XV.png

Attachments

• 15200105421941298201034.jpg
    15200105421941298201034.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #193 of 1,409
Dms modded his, this is a sneek peak of what he did

That is dumb... imo anyway. Zebra Wood should give the music a certain flavor... why would anyone just get rid of the Zebra Wood altogether, might as well just mod m1060 at that point and leave m1060c alone... i dunno seems silly to me.

Mar 2, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #194 of 1,409
I got mine the other day. Compared to my modded 1060 and HE560, I'm in the camp where I can say that these need a bit of tweaking before I'd be fully satisfied.

That 2k peak is there as well as the mid recession that has been talked about. Had I not had the 1060, HE560, and previously the HE500, the M1060C would be awesome out of the box to me. I don't think burn in is going to change it much, and cutting 2k via EQ is a minor improvement.

Separation and imaging are great. Soundstage is more open than I expected it to be. Bass levels are stronger than the M1060, but doesn't have the impact of a closed dynamic either (as mentioned)

It is pretty crazy that this can be driven by a smartphone though with it's low impedance. My amp is barely stressed at low gain by these.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #195 of 1,409
After a bit more eq, these actually sound really enjoyable, especially in a way that I could use these for office listening if I really wanted to. Commuting would be a bit rough as sound does leak a bit. Strong bass on rap and edm songs is new to me with Planars, so I'd probably really enjoy a Fostex one day. I love powerful clean bass.

2-3kHz needs a cut, 7kHz and up needs a bump.

Try this in Foobar2000:

1060eq.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back