Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Feb 22, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #46 of 1,409
How is the very low bass under 30hz ?

Really really good. Closest thing I've felt to the punch/air movement of dynamic drivers from a planar (comparing against Oppo PM3, m1060(modded), Yamaha HP1(modded), HE560, and HE400i).

I NEED sub-bass in my music, and I'm not even EQ'ing these right now.

Feb 22, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #48 of 1,409
Great to hear the sub bass respect here. We can easily be called "bass heads" who want one note boom all the time but that's not true. Even if I didn't want cans be a mix / mastering alternative reference to my studio monitors, I'd want the sub bass, because it's there. Truly full range sound, with the Harman Response Curve (inverse Fletcher Munson) means no rolling off as so many audiophiles seem to adore below 50 hz calling those kinds of cans 'neutral' (ie. nothing done to the original source). No, the roll off means you get rid of frequencies. They don't have to rattle my brain and make me dizzy, I just want them there. If an 808 hits at 18 hz, I wanna hear it. That shouldn't be strange. Should any of you want a lighter weight closed back with some great sub bass that doesn't bleed into the mids, and good highs, consider the Sony MDR-1A with Meze 99 pads (available from their website for $20). That's my current reference pair. The pads take them to a whole new level, with sub bass that you have to be careful with. It doesn't distort but if you crank it you may get dizzy from it, as I did. Luckily just temporarily. The small bag they come with isn't enough so I bought a $20 longer cable for home use and $20 hard case they fold flat into for my laptop bag on EBay. Their having slightly higher treble than I like, probably a normal amount for most, and extra subs means I can listen more quietly and not miss anything, where more midrangey cans have you cranking it to hear that low end or detail. This is actually good for your hearing, for long term.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #50 of 1,409
Best sub bass I've heard and that wonderful planar bass that's so smooth and clean. The reason to add to the collection for me is the isolation over the 1060 open which sound like you left your speakers on. I still love my open 1060's they have been tuned to my taste and are really clean and separated with smooth energy. The closed version isn't the same but has the smoothness and separation but different character to them plus you get the ability to use them without people in the next room hearing you. I have about 20 hours on these now and I hear a little more separation and the voice seems to be coming forward now just like the open version did. I haven't compared too much yet because it wouldn't be fair until these are broken it but there is a difference but of course I have changed grills , added fazors and 6mm foam under pads on the opens. I personally would like the closed version to be a bit brighter but I can bump the upper end up on the eq and it's right where I want. I would like to get a magni modi combo to try because their brightness probably gets them where I want it.

Feb 22, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #52 of 1,409
Great to hear the sub bass respect here. We can easily be called "bass heads" who want one note boom all the time but that's not true. Even if I didn't want cans be a mix / mastering alternative reference to my studio monitors, I'd want the sub bass, because it's there. Truly full range sound, with the Harman Response Curve (inverse Fletcher Munson) means that the roll offs so many audiophiles seem to adore below 50 hz calling those kinds of cans "neutral" (ie. nothing done to the original source). No, a roll off means you get rid of frequencies. They don't have to rattle my brain and make me dizzy, I just want them there. If an 808 hits at 21 hz I wanna hear it. That shouldn't be strange. Should any of you want a lightweight closed back with ridiculous sub bass that doesn't bleed into the mids, and good highs, consider the Sony MDR-1A, with Meze 99 pads (available from their website for $20). That's my current reference pair. The pads take them to a whole new level with sub bass that you have to be careful with. It doesn't distort but if you crank it you may get dizzy from it (as I did). Luckily - just temporarily.

I feel the same way! It took me forever to figure this out. My first two audiophile cans were very disappointing (AKG 240S and DT-880) and then I realized that I need audiophile grade "basshead" cans to satisfy my sub bass needs. My modded M1060 have the most satisfying reach out of any in my collection. They don't have the impact of my DT-770 but it feels so much more effortless. I definitely want to try to get a pair of TH-X00 for their legendary bass. The lack of sub bass information is a big reason why I decided to wait on reviews of the M1060C before I consider buying it. I would love to see some frequency response curves for the C.

Lack of proper sub bass was my biggest gripe with the HD6XX. Sounded great all the way down to about 50 hz and then no impact. The driver fires but it loses all of its oomf down in the sub bass region. That's why I was so surprised after listening to them why so many called them "reference" when it can't reproduce sub bass adequately.

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #54 of 1,409
I definitely want to try to get a pair of TH-X00 for their legendary bass.
You'll get that bass, and excessive highs (in my treble sensitive opinion). The distant, recessed midrange really makes the presentation too far away and cold for me. I did extensive direct comparisons of the EMU Teak (considered the least bass or treble hyped, with the fullest mids, of all those Fosters) and my Sony MDR-1A with Meze pads. No contest. Similar bass, with possibly further deep extension on the Sony. Bright but less harsh highs, and fuller mids that are close to flat. Nothing distant sounding. Lighter, better comfort, more portable, less costly.

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #55 of 1,409
You'll get that bass, and excessive highs (in my treble sensitive opinion). The distant, recessed midrange really makes the presentation too far away and cold for me. I did extensive direct comparisons of the EMU Teak (considered the least bass or treble hyped, with the fullest mids, of all those Fosters) and my Sony MDR-1A with Meze pads. No contest. Similar bass, with possibly further deep extension on the Sony. Bright but less harsh highs, and fuller mids that are close to flat. Nothing distant sounding. Lighter, better comfort, more portable, less costly.

Interesting. I don't have a treble sensitivity (as proven by my DT-990 PRO, HE-400, ATH-M50) and I was able to briefly test a D2000 and really liked the sound. But, that being said, I will definitely consider the Sony MDR-1A with Meze pads.

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #56 of 1,409
I only want to keep 2 "reference" headphones tops. I currently have the M1060 and HE560. I'm selling my modded M1060 (with Vegans) and want to pick up the M1060c for the extra bass and isolation over the HE560. Do you think these two are good compliments to each other? HE560 for more detailed listening sessions, M1060c for more bass driven and isolated sessions?

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #57 of 1,409
I only want to keep 2 "reference" headphones tops. I currently have the M1060 and HE560. I'm selling my modded M1060 (with Vegans) and want to pick up the M1060c for the extra bass and isolation over the HE560. Do you think these two are good compliments to each other? HE560 for more detailed listening sessions, M1060c for more bass driven and isolated sessions?

That's a fantastic pairing. M1060c warmer, BASS, closed, FUN. HE560 cooler, detailed, open, pleasing.

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #59 of 1,409
Interesting. I don't have a treble sensitivity (as proven by my DT-990 PRO, HE-400, ATH-M50) and I was able to briefly test a D2000 and really liked the sound. But, that being said, I will definitely consider the Sony MDR-1A with Meze pads.

If you like the D2000 then you'll Love a modded TH-X00... unbeatable subbass, with extreme clarity, detail, and dynamics for the full frequency range. Stock D2000 is muffled, closed, and conjested sounding in comparison:

My modded TH-X00PH freqency response

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #60 of 1,409
If you like the D2000 then you'll Love a modded TH-X00... unbeatable subbass, extreme clarity, detail, and dynamics full frequency range, stock D2000 is muffled, closed, and conjested sounding in comparison:

Yes, I was definitely planning on doing the Lawton driver-side mod and getting real leather pads (I hate pleather) for whatever TH-X00 variant I end up getting. I think the biggest appeal to me of a modded TH-X00 is the bass slam. I love planar bass texture but it doesn't slam like dynamic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back