Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Feb 23, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #76 of 1,409
Is it worth modding a d2000?
Note, V-Racer-111 has J Money pads. They'd been long considered the only pads that sound as good / better than stock, but are no longer made and not for sale anywhere.

Now, onto the 1060C. Arrived. Nice that they have a case. Well built. As stated, heavier than they advertise. Despite that, they balance well and don't feel too bad in terms of neck fatigue. My problem is the headband needs one more click's worth of travel to get to my ears comfortably, they clamp a bit but the ear padding is excellent so it was not totally a deal breaker. The squeeze at the top of my head trying to get them fully over my ears is too much, so sadly I will be returning them. Now onto their sonic profile next.

Having again tried the LCD-XC at CanJam NYC, these have maybe a touch more sub bass level with similar extension. The mids are not as forward and hard. Really they're close to ideal there. The high mids are too. The treble could use more. These take high end EQ well so adding 2 db or so above 8 khz did the trick. I like more sub bass even though they have better sub bass than most planars I'd tried (except Advanced Sound GT-R). Mid bass was perfect, good punch, but not expected to match a good dynamic.

I still like a bit more subs, so I dialed in that extra treble and a bit more at 30-60 and it was great with most genres with moderate bass. I put some tracks on that will push the limits of how much sub bass you can have. The bass then craped out if played more than moderately loud. I brought the sub bass boost down to 2 db from 4 db and that was better, but then on tracks with less bass, where I wanted more, I'd want to turn it up. Non-bass heads don't have to worry about this. A smaller boost might be their cup of tea.

The sound is intimate. Stereo placement is proper but you I didn't get the spatiality I have on my Sony MDR-1A with Meze pads or Meze 99 Neo (with their absolutely newest generation of ear pads) which beats the Sony and beats almost every headphone I've heard, open or closed. There is something about the narrower, midrange focused vibes found with Planar Magnetics in general that I can't get anywhere else so my search continues, though the Advanced Sound GT-R really impressed me at CanJam NYC 2018.

The ear pad has a strong artificial smell. I suppose that would outgas in time but it was worth mentioning. In summary. If you like the LCD-XC this is a no brainer. Same size, regarding weight, and how far they open (Audeze also don't quite open far enough and clamp a bit much, I know they sell those extender arms though, I wish more did that). They lack sparkle but you can EQ that. Isolation is pretty good, not leaky or Bose QC territory. They should help to revolutionize planar pricing, into a more affordable range.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #78 of 1,409
Note, V-Racer-111 has J Money pads. They'd been long considered the only pads that sound as good / better than stock, but are no longer made and not for sale anywhere.

The ear pad has a strong artificial smell. I suppose that would outgas in time but it was worth mentioning. In summary. If you like the LCD-XC this is a no brainer. Same size, regarding weight, and how far they open (Audeze also don't quite open far enough and clamp a bit much, I know they sell those extender arms though, I wish more did that). They lack sparkle but you can EQ that. Isolation is pretty good, not leaky or Bose QC territory. They should help to revolutionize planar pricing, into a more affordable range.

I have the d2000 but might sell them and get these if they are better, for some reasons reviews on YouTube have been delayed so I pulled the trigger on a used set of Denons so I could heck out how they sound.

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #79 of 1,409

Now, onto the 1060C. Arrived. Nice that they have a case. Well built. As stated, heavier than they advertise. Despite that, they balance well and don't feel too bad in terms of neck fatigue. My problem is the headband needs one more click's worth of travel to get to my ears comfortably, they clamp a bit but the ear padding is excellent so it was not totally a deal breaker. The squeeze at the top of my head trying to get them fully over my ears is too much, so sadly I will be returning them. Now onto their sonic profile next.

Having again tried the LCD-XC at CanJam NYC, these have maybe a touch more sub bass level with similar extension. The mids are not as forward and hard. Really they're close to ideal there. The high mids are too. The treble could use more. These take high end EQ well so adding 2 db or so above 8 khz did the trick. I like more sub bass even though they have better sub bass than most planars I'd tried (except Advanced Sound GT-R). Mid bass was perfect, good punch, but not expected to match a good dynamic.

I still like a bit more subs, so I dialed in that extra treble and a bit more at 30-60 and it was great with most genres with moderate bass. I put some tracks on that will push the limits of how much sub bass you can have. The bass then craped out if played more than moderately loud. I brought the sub bass boost down to 2 db from 4 db and that was better, but then on tracks with less bass, where I wanted more, I'd want to turn it up. Non-bass heads don't have to worry about this. A smaller boost might be their cup of tea.

The sound is intimate. Stereo placement is proper but you I didn't get the spatiality I have on my Sony MDR-1A with Meze pads or Meze 99 Neo (with their absolutely newest generation of ear pads) which beats the Sony and beats almost every headphone I've heard, open or closed. There is something about the narrower, midrange focused vibes found with Planar Magnetics in general that I can't get anywhere else so my search continues, though the Advanced Sound GT-R really impressed me at CanJam NYC 2018.

Nice review! Totally agree with the description of the sound. Just a note about fit. I have a XL head (hat size 7 1/2) and they fit very comfortably at one click below the top headband setting. So, unless someone has a massive noggin, I don't think fit will be a general problem.

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #80 of 1,409
Awful pity they didn't make the pads nterchangeable and make velour and leather options.

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #81 of 1,409
what do you mean, distortions, so they can't take bass boost at high volume?

Played without EQ, on any track, no matter how bass heavy, no distortion. About 2-3 db boost in EQ in the very low subs under 50 hz seems okay with almost everything. Adding 3-6 db which I preferred being a bit of a bass head, was good on 90% of stuff. With really super heavy bass songs (in EDM and Hip Hop) then on the loudest bass notes, you would hear distortion. It's the laws of physics, they can only produce so much. Had it been Biodynamic drivers, I probably could have done that. Given they are already boosted in the Foster series, I would not want to, and my ears would give out long before their cans did with that much bass added on. I hope that helps explain it.

Totally agree with the description of the sound. Just a note about fit. I have a XL head (hat size 7 1/2) and they fit very comfortably at one click below the top headband setting.
Thanks Lou. :) Seriously I'd bet I'm 8 1/2. I get my hats from Big Head Hats and they are the XXL side. Wider than average but mainly longer. My ears may be set a little lower on my head vs. other folks as well. I'm 6'5" which I found out at CanJam isn't uncommon (lots of tall headphone folk) Lou Reed was only 5'9" I think. Anyway, I would best describe it as having more of a tall head than a big head. Additionally, I have very thick hair for a middle aged guy on the top. No shaved head or alopecia here. I think these would fit most and I can't stress enough, they're more comfortable than your average heavy Audeze. The weight is well balanced compared to them. So it's bearable.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #82 of 1,409
I have the d2000 but might sell them and get these if they are better, for some reasons reviews on YouTube have been delayed so I pulled the trigger on a used set of Denons so I could heck out how they sound.

I don't have the M1060C, but based off the M1060 it depends on what you are after for dynamic vs planars. You get great subbass extension and detail with the M1060, you don't get the impact or overall pressurized feel that you do from the Foster driver cans though. Modded with the driver dampening and right pads/in pad attenuators, the Foster cans are pretty much even with the M1060 in terms of extension and detail, very slightly behind on speed. The planar driver of the M1060 is quicker but overall much flatter sounding than the Foster biodyna drivers, really dynamic sound is one thing the biodyna driver does very well. I can EQ the bass on the M1060 all I want, and it will never give me the feel of the dynamic Foster cans with absolutely no EQ... very noticeable difference in the bass presence and impact between the two. M1060 subbass is very nice for a planar though - I prefer it to the LCD2, which is why the M1060C interests me.

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #83 of 1,409
I don't have the M1060C, but based off the M1060 it depends on what you are after for dynamic vs planars. You get great subbass extension and detail with the M1060, you don't get the impact or overall pressurized feel that you do from the Foster driver cans though. Modded with the driver dampening and right pads/in pad attenuators, the Foster cans are pretty much even with the M1060 in terms of extension and detail, very slightly behind on speed. The planar driver of the M1060 is quicker but overall much flatter sounding than the Foster biodyna drivers, really dynamic sound is one thing the biodyna driver does very well. I can EQ the bass on the M1060 all I want, and it will never give me the feel of the dynamic Foster cans with absolutely no EQ... very noticeable difference in the bass presence and impact between the two. M1060 subbass is very nice for a planar though - I prefer it to the LCD2, which is why the M1060C interests me.
So based on your experience w/ the LCD2s (which the company itself places above its EL8s) would you place the M1060s above the EL8s?

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #84 of 1,409
With all the talk about bass/sub-bass here, do you all know about the Schiit Loki? Just thought I'd throw that out there. I added one to my M1060 setup and omg can you ever control the sub-bass. These planars respond so well to it. Partly, or maybe mostly, because it's analog as opposed to digital enhancement. It's a permanent piece in my chain now.

I just ordered a Loki, and I will probably end up with a second one shortly. The first one is for my 2 channel system (That is mostly Schiit products, Saga, Vidar, Mimby, Eitr, and soon Loki and Jil, with Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands as speakers). I am betting I will want one next to my couch with my headphone setup. I can listen through my 2 channel system with a 10' headphone cable. So I can't wait to get it. It is back-ordered until next month. May just order a second one and not worry. I need to read up on the Loki here. I am sure it is very popular, as it can make most headphones better (each listener hears differently, now you can dial it in to your preference).

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #85 of 1,409

I am a dt 770 80 ohm fan so the d2000 was to my taste but it needs a little taming so I have two options mod (cups/internals) or get a th-x00 and either will be getting removable mmcx. Saying that I have a T-X0 which took a little adjusting from the beyer but the bass is deep in a different way and I came to like it especially the details in the mids and highs.(It's currently with modhouse audio getting the full overhaul with deerskin strap and zmf lambskins). I also preferred the brainwavz xl round pleather and hybrid to the stock t-x0 pads for comfort and sound.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #86 of 1,409
So based on your experience w/ the LCD2s (which the company itself places above its EL8s) would you place the M1060s above the EL8s?

Have not heard EL8's so I really can't make a comment in regards to them. As for the LCD2 (non-fazor model I believe) it was a little smoother sounding than the M1060, but liked the subbass presentation and just overall sound better on the M0160.

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #87 of 1,409
Have not heard EL8's so I really can't make a comment in regards to them. As for the LCD2 (non-fazor model I believe) it was a little smoother sounding than the M1060, but liked the subbass presentation and just overall sound better on the M0160.
Maybe best to wait for an open box on Monprice's website then. I really WANT to spend money but shouldn't rush to do so, lol.

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #89 of 1,409

This is my exact experience as well. Out of the box they have better bass and sub bass than the M1060 open back, but right about 4db-5db+ on the 60hz EQ is where things start to break loose. They go from tight and bassy to distorted and flabby (like me). The open back on the other hand seem to be perfectly OK with more than twice that boost.

I wore them about 6 hours yesterday. By the end of the day the top of my head where the band pushes down kinda hurt and right along my jawline where the pad presses at was sore. Everything was fine today and I'm wearing them again without pain.

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #90 of 1,409
This is my exact experience as well. Out of the box they have better bass and sub bass than the M1060 open back, but right about 4db-5db+ on the 60hz EQ is where things start to break loose. They go from tight and bassy to distorted and flabby (like me). The open back on the other hand seem to be perfectly OK with more than twice that boost.

I wore them about 6 hours yesterday. By the end of the day the top of my head where the band pushes down kinda hurt and right along my jawline where the pad presses at was sore. Everything was fine today and I'm wearing them again without pain.
that's very interesting, usually closed back cans are better damped and the driver can take more bass eq, i wonder why the closed back version is not like or better in that regard than the open back 1060

Users who are viewing this thread

Back