Monitor Audio Owners?
May 29, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #46 of 62
in the mid 90s I had a the Paradigm MK11se. They were big for my small townhouse living room. Back then I didn't know anything, just that I wanted a great stereo. The sales man at the audio shop didn't ask about my room or anything. They were not bad speakers, just the wrong room. Which PSB did you own?

May 29, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #47 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kclone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in the mid 90s I had a the Paradigm MK11se. They were big for my small townhouse living room. Back then I didn't know anything, just that I wanted a great stereo. The sales man at the audio shop didn't ask about my room or anything. They were not bad speakers, just the wrong room. Which PSB did you own?

I had Paradigm Monitor 7s, as well as their Studio Monitors (were highly praised at the time) as well as some PSB Stratus Golds IIRC.

Also had some DefTech BP2000s paired to a DT Powerfield 1500. I loved that sub. All powered by Adcom and Marantz mono blocks.

May 29, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #48 of 62
Are you using a sub with the GS-60s for music? I just do not see the need for one as the bass is already pretty hard hitting yet detailed as well. Everyone raves about the mids and highs, but I think the speaker is very balanced although my amp could be helping things out too.

May 30, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #49 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kieran Comito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using a sub with the GS-60s for music? I just do not see the need for one as the bass is already pretty hard hitting yet detailed as well. Everyone raves about the mids and highs, but I think the speaker is very balanced although my amp could be helping things out too.

No sub as of right now. Plan on using a HSU VTF3 Mk.III or a SVS SB-12 Plus. The GS60 is very balanced top to bottom IMO. Nothing stands out at all. I do find it has more depth front to back than width left to right in terms of localization and soundstage. Others have noted the opposite though.

Which amp are you using? Parasound Halo A23 here. A lot of people use the Halo with MA speakers.

May 31, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #50 of 62
I find it depends on the recording if it is more wide or more deep. These speakers can be a bit frustrating at times. Some of my favorite albums from a music standpoint but are not the best produced sound like crap on the MAs. However, when I put in something that is a good recording, these speakers really shine. I know that is the case with most speakers, but with the MA's it is even more so. Anyone else find this to be the case? Does the Silver series also have this charactoristic?

May 31, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #51 of 62
I am using the RS5s in walnut finish with spikes covers. Had them during the 30 days sale that occured after they had exposed in the FSI. Usually, they go for 1100 CDN throughout the country. They were on sale for 750, and I had a demo pair with no blemishes and full warranty for 700. Right now, I'm driving them with a pioneer A-35R. I have to bring the knob at 12 o'clock to make them too loud, so I guess they would require about 30 watts to reach sufficient volumes (pioneer rates the A-35R at 45W RMS into 8 ohms, and the RS5 are 6 ohms).

Who here uses tubes to drive their MA speakers?

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #52 of 62
Ex RS1 owner were! Very good speakers for that price rage! Maybe a bit bright....I change for Rega speakers I own now Rega R3, much better than RS1 and upgrading for R5! Rega are "another world" far beyond MA.....
Rui

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #53 of 62
Well, I just took delivery of a brand new pair of RS6's today [snuck back home to wait for UPS]... I know break-in time is suggested, but all I can say is that RS6's might be one of the best speaker bargains around!! These sound terrific in my humble setup (2-channel only w/ a powered sub). I figure these will give me a good 9 - 12 months of enjoyment at which time I'll be wanting to upgrade.

Jun 3, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #54 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by RuiCanela /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ex RS1 owner were! Very good speakers for that price rage! Maybe a bit bright....I change for Rega speakers I own now Rega R3, much better than RS1 and upgrading for R5! Rega are "another world" far beyond MA.....
Rui

Rega must be darn good to be "another world" from the MA's. Just curious, are they priced simular to the MA's? I have the Rega Saturn, so if they do speakers like they do CD players, that is a big plus.

Jun 3, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #55 of 62
The price is very similar, and you can get much better mids, highs without harsh and better bass (comparing MA RS6 to Rega R5).
R5 is easier to place correctly in your living room because it has bass reflex port firering forward..

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #57 of 62
Don't spend your time and money in Monitor Audio...you have much better brands for the money: Xavian, Proarc, Merlin, Rega, Usher.......
Monitor Audio was a good brand that guy from Paquistan(I think) was the cheif designer, when he left MA was not the same anymore.

Jun 5, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #58 of 62
So the cheif designer leaves and somehow Monitor Audio develops it's best speaker line yet, the Platinums? Yeah, okay. You may prefer other brands, while others may prefer the MA's. So you are saying at given price points, there is a lot of better speakers out there then MA? I have heard a lot of speakers, and yes, there is plenty of "better" speakers out there, but not at the same prices. If you can find speaker lines at the same price points that can sound better the MA's, then you are doing good.

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #59 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kclone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the cheif designer leaves and somehow Monitor Audio develops it's best speaker line yet, the Platinums? Yeah, okay. You may prefer other brands, while others may prefer the MA's. So you are saying at given price points, there is a lot of better speakers out there then MA? I have heard a lot of speakers, and yes, there is plenty of "better" speakers out there, but not at the same prices. If you can find speaker lines at the same price points that can sound better the MA's, then you are doing good.

The Platinums are not cheap (PL300 SUPERSONIDO - denon, marantz, B&W, in focus, sonus faber, JM-LAB... is 8990,00€), and for example ProArc Response D28 (SUPERSONIDO - denon, marantz, B&W, in focus, sonus faber, JM-LAB... ) 4.940,00€ and is a much better souding speaker! (i've heard both)
rolleyes.gif

If you never heard MA Studio 20 (befor the cheif designer left) you don't know what i'm saying....

Jun 5, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #60 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by RuiCanela /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Platinums are not cheap (PL300 SUPERSONIDO - denon, marantz, B&W, in focus, sonus faber, JM-LAB... is 8990,00€), and for example ProArc Response D28 (SUPERSONIDO - denon, marantz, B&W, in focus, sonus faber, JM-LAB... ) 4.940,00€ and is a much better souding speaker! (i've heard both)
rolleyes.gif

If you never heard MA Studio 20 (befor the cheif designer left) you don't know what i'm saying....

The Platinums may not be cheap but they compete favorably with speakers a lot more expensive than they are.

I heard the Regas and ProAcs in the same room as the Silvers and Golds. For the money it was no comparison. The MAs were just better top to bottom.

Oh yeah, this is kind of a Monitor Audio owner's thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back