Monitor Audio Owners?
Dec 25, 2007 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

darkninja67

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering who here is a MA enthusiast? I currently own a pair of the RS6 in walnut. Selling them Thursday to upgrade to a pair of rosewood GS60s. Anyone else love this speaker brand?

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 62
own:RS6 in rose nut

need to audition GS20s or GS60s to see if i want to upgrade to them... did you audition them? it seems a lot of MA people just jump right into the gold signature series

drinking the MA kool aid...

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by gotchaforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
own:RS6 in rose nut

need to audition GS20s or GS60s to see if i want to upgrade to them... did you audition them? it seems a lot of MA people just jump right into the gold signature series

drinking the MA kool aid...

Buying blind as my local place is not getting them in for awhile. Going by how I like the RS6 and by recommendations on AVS.

I doubt they are 4 times better than my RS6 pair but I am thinking they are everything the RS6 is and a lot more.

Good to see some owners of Monitor Audio here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 62
Have a used set of S1's, wonderful sound in my small room. Love that warm british sound.

Jan 1, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buying blind as my local place is not getting them in for awhile. Going by how I like the RS6 and by recommendations on AVS.

I doubt they are 4 times better than my RS6 pair but I am thinking they are everything the RS6 is and a lot more.

Good to see some owners of Monitor Audio here.
smily_headphones1.gif

I had the GS20s and liked them a lot. Great detail, timing and speed and worked well in several tricky rooms. I have also auditioned the 60s and they too are superb speakers, with a more even tonal balance than their little brethren IMHO. I ended up swapping the 20s for another brand of standmount following changes elsewhere in my system but the series is excellent across the board, from sonics to finish and presentation. You ought to be delighted with your purchase.

best,

o

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the GS20s and liked them a lot. Great detail, timing and speed and worked well in several tricky rooms. I have also auditioned the 60s and they too are superb speakers, with a more even tonal balance than their little brethren IMHO. I ended up swapping the 20s for another brand of standmount following changes elsewhere in my system but the series is excellent across the board, from sonics to finish and presentation. You ought to be delighted with your purchase.

best,

o

Thanks for the impressions. I am looking at the Salk Song Towers once again which can be had for $1999 with upgraded tweeter and finish. I will probably go GS60 though.

BTW which standmounts did you go with?

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 62
Silver RS-1s. My room is small, so these are perfect. Paired with a Rega Brio 3 amp and wired with AudioQuest Bi-wired Rocket 44s. No mention of source for now ...
smily_headphones1.gif

The ONLY thing lacking in these speakers as an obvious, stated flaw, for me, is openness on large orchestral works. Audible difference from the RS-6s. Delivers acoustic bass for me beautifully, and works so well with my small combo jazz tastes in my room that I can't ask for anything more. Except quality sources.

Jan 2, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the impressions. I am looking at the Salk Song Towers once again which can be had for $1999 with upgraded tweeter and finish. I will probably go GS60 though.

BTW which standmounts did you go with?

I don't know the Salk Song speakers. I auditioned quite a few brands and models and finally went with the new Paradigm Reference S2.2 with the beryllium tweeters. Lots of choices in this price range obviously and I'd never thought of myself as a Paradigm guy exactly but I was moving down from MartinLogan Vantages and these offered the closest thing to an ESL-like treble and midrange of the speakers I auditioned. I've recently downsized to a Saturn/Stingray/Chord Signature setup and in our loft room with its awkward dormer windows and sloping ceiling, the front-ported S2s were quicker and cleaner and with a bit less treble bite than the GS20s. At this quality level though it's really horses for courses, and I REALLY enjoyed the MA speakers in the time I had them. I would certainly look very closely at the 60s if and when space allowed. They have a great balance of virtues and few flaws, though you might want to avoid anything upstream with an etched or spitty treble. Very musical speakers with wonderful solidity and presence and a little more tonally to my taste than the also-impressive designs from Spendor and ProAc that I listened to.

enjoy and best,

o

Feb 29, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #14 of 62
well my journey is finished (as far as speakers go, still need a new front end):
DSC00554.jpg

DSC00550.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back