Monitor Audio Owners?
Apr 21, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #31 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any of you MA owners think the RS1's would be worth a damn nearfield (either on a desk or on stands next to a desk)?

on a desk probably not as far as reflections go. Stand mounted would be a pretty good way to go though.

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #32 of 62
Well I love my Rs-1´s in black, connected to my Linn setup via Nordost Red Dawn. I use them standing on my Montana Bookcase (also black :) ) and then placed on SD-feet in audiophil version, NICE!

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #33 of 62
just upgraded from some old dusty and tired KEF speakers. got the GS10, which are totally awesome. first listened to a bunch of cheaper stuff that got some good reviews, but they really lacked bass so i listened to some better speakers, and after hearing these i couldn't go back.
they just sound so clear and detailed and got a nice tight bass. and the right size for my room. now i think i've caught the upgrade virus (well... obviously got it before this
smily_headphones1.gif
).
but not entirely happy with my source, it's just to bright. thinking about an apogee duet but haven't really seen any comparisons. any recommendations?

May 26, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #34 of 62
I have the MA GS-60s. IMO the Monitor Audio stuff is some of the nicest looking speakers around. They do everything in house and the build quality is excellent. Of course they sound great too. I am driving mine with a Red Wine Audio Signature 70.2 monoblocks and it sounds outstanding, especially on good recordings. Have any of you guys checked out the MA thread on the AVS forum? Lots of good info there.

May 27, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #35 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kclone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the MA GS-60s. IMO the Monitor Audio stuff is some of the nicest looking speakers around. They do everything in house and the build quality is excellent. Of course they sound great too. I am driving mine with a Red Wine Audio Signature 70.2 monoblocks and it sounds outstanding, especially on good recordings. Have any of you guys checked out the MA thread on the AVS forum? Lots of good info there.

MA builds the drivers in house IIRC. The speakers are made in their Chinese factory.

They are some nice looking speakers though. Love them naked.

Yeah I frequent that thread a lot over at AVS. There are some good people there too.

EDIT: Oh crap dude, I did not notice your name here. What's up Kclone?? Small world I guess.

May 27, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #36 of 62
hi,

i want to start drinking the MA kool aid too. looking to purchase the RS1s, but i'm not too keen on the $600 list my local dealer wants. what should i do? the best thing i can find is that Saturday Audio is (or was) offering them for $400 on sale for some period of time but they are now sold out.

they currently have the RS2s in stock (or so their website says), but what little info i can find on them suggests that they may not be built to the same standards as the RS1? they are certainly discontinued, and i can't find an "official" review of them anywhere on the internet. the listings on audiogon in my price range are fairly minimal, although i could spring for the RS6s and not get stands or a future sub (though i was really hoping to spend under $600 if at all possible, and going for RS6s would break that...but it is not an insurmountable difference). that idea is looking more attractive, depending on what Saturday Audio says (they didn't return my call and their working hours are, how you say, "limited") regarding their current MA stock.

i'm in a bedroom (12 x 10 x 7.5, we'll say), so would the RS6 even be feasible? i'm going to be buying a T-amp, either the nuforce Icon or the KingRex T20U, so i need an efficient speaker that is suitable for close placement (3-4 feet from listening position).

so i guess i'm asking for both speaker and dealer/reseller recommendations, heh. i'd like to stay with the Silver line; the Bronze i heard at the local dealer was not bad, but i can afford to step it up a level and want to get the best that i can for between $400 and $700.

May 27, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #37 of 62
TheAnomaly, You should give Matt Eiser (AudioArchitect @ AVS) a PM or call. He can get you good deals on the RS1 or RS6. Tell him Bill (darkninja67) sent you too. No commission, I just like recommending him as he is a great guy.

I think the RS6 will be too much for that seating distance IMO. Plus they will run you closer to $800 at least. Try Audiogon as well. You can find NIB RS6s for $700 or so sometimes.

May 27, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #38 of 62
Great thread, thanks!
I've got a question to MA enthusiasts. I've been using M1 Gold for several years in a very small room and just loved those speakers. Later, when I moved to more spacious listening environment, where the mini monitors started sounding a bit thin I swapped them for Br2 hoping to get the same MA house sound (for twice the price of M1 Gold). Maybe there's something wrong with my hearing, but I was really surprised when the sound sig turned completely different from what I expected from a pair of MA. Less detail, more HT-like punch in the bass department, kind of veiled overall.
Did any of you ever noticed the difference between older MA speakers and the current generation?

May 27, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #39 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TheAnomaly, You should give Matt Eiser (AudioArchitect @ AVS) a PM or call. He can get you good deals on the RS1 or RS6. Tell him Bill (darkninja67) sent you too. No commission, I just like recommending him as he is a great guy.

I think the RS6 will be too much for that seating distance IMO. Plus they will run you closer to $800 at least. Try Audiogon as well. You can find NIB RS6s for $700 or so sometimes.

thanks a lot! i am going to seek him out now. should i just use your forum name then?

May 28, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #40 of 62
May 28, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #41 of 62
I have the MA Silver S8's in rose wood.

I'm driving them using a Rotel 1062 amp and Arcam CD93.

May 28, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #42 of 62
I've got a pair of RS6s and an RSLCR centre, all in walnut. Lovely speakers, just wish I had a better amp for music. Currently using a Sony STR-DA1200ES home cinema amp and Pioneer DV 868 for spinning CDs & SACDs.

May 28, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #43 of 62
Quote:

yeah that is fine. he knows me.
here is his website:
AUDIO ARCHITECT - exceptional home theater. no exceptions.

thanks, shot him an e-mail this morning. i hope he comes through, because i've only got one other choice for MA if he doesn't!

May 29, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #44 of 62
Quote:

MA builds the drivers in house IIRC. The speakers are made in their Chinese factory.

They are some nice looking speakers though. Love them naked.

Yeah I frequent that thread a lot over at AVS. There are some good people there too.

EDIT: Oh crap dude, I did not notice your name here. What's up Kclone?? Small world I guess.

Hey there darkninja67. Yeah you are right about only the drivers in house. Yeah small world. The more time I spend with the GS60s, the more of a MA fanboy I am becoming. It is just great to sit down and listen to them, and to look at them is just icing in the cake. I guess the one thing I just can't understand is why MA does not get more attention. They really are great at their price points.

May 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks, shot him an e-mail this morning. i hope he comes through, because i've only got one other choice for MA if he doesn't!

He will not steer you wrong. Trust me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kclone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there darkninja67. Yeah you are right about only the drivers in house. Yeah small world. The more time I spend with the GS60s, the more of a MA fanboy I am becoming. It is just great to sit down and listen to them, and to look at them is just icing in the cake. I guess the one thing I just can't understand is why MA does not get more attention. They really are great at their price points.

in the mid 1990s I always thought of MA being this really high end brand. I was using Paradigm, PSB, and DefTech back then. It was nice to see how affordable their higher end stuff is. And you can get great sound for $800 or so in the RS6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back