Modifying WM1Z/A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #2,941 of 3,042
Hey Music Sanctuary, now that you are copying and taking/earning from this thread can you start contributing ?

Screenshot_2020-09-20-00-10-35-620_mark.via.gp.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #2,942 of 3,042
Hey Music Sanctuary, now that you are copying and taking from this thread can you start contributing ?

Screenshot_2020-09-20-00-10-35-620_mark.via.gp.jpg

I hate this kind of stuff! Really not nice of them.

Things like this made me put "Firmware mod by MrWalkman" in the Unit information menu.

Sep 20, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #2,945 of 3,042
A long time lurker who has been just avoiding posting on the forums because I have been having too much time enjoying the music, I find the outrage a little laughable, and somewhat questionable too.

Modding a player by replacing caps is nothing new in the industry. Redwine audiomods was one of the first to start doing it to the AK players from as early as 2012.
Stuff like installing/replacing caps/opamps https://www.head-fi.org/threads/red-wine-ak240-astell-kern.893509/
or even bypassing caps/resistors/switches https://www.headfonia.com/red-wine-audio-rwak100-ampless/
isnt anything new in the industry.

I frankly am nothing but grateful to your endavours to push the boundaries of what the 1Z is capable of. But unfortunately, the replacement of caps to caps of similar values and replacement of the wires is an idea that isnt new nor unique to you alone. You arent the first, and you certainly wont be the last.

Why am i posting this after a long period of inacitivity? Because such efforts to gatekeep improvements will only serve to stagnate the entire community as a whole. Redwine didnt bother to'sue' anyone who 'copied' their mods, because they had the sensibility to realize that what they were doing was anything but groundbreaking.

Are you going to 'sue' the person who implements a cap replacement/wire rewire mod when the next sony player comes along?

Sep 20, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #2,946 of 3,042
A long time lurker who has been just avoiding posting on the forums because I have been having too much time enjoying the music, I find the outrage a little laughable, and somewhat questionable too.

Modding a player by replacing caps is nothing new in the industry. Redwine audiomods was one of the first to start doing it to the AK players from as early as 2012.
Stuff like installing/replacing caps/opamps https://www.head-fi.org/threads/red-wine-ak240-astell-kern.893509/
or even bypassing caps/resistors/switches https://www.headfonia.com/red-wine-audio-rwak100-ampless/
isnt anything new in the industry.

I frankly am nothing but grateful to your endavours to push the boundaries of what the 1Z is capable of. But unfortunately, the replacement of caps to caps of similar values and replacement of the wires is an idea that isnt new nor unique to you alone. You arent the first, and you certainly wont be the last.

Why am i posting this after a long period of inacitivity? Because such efforts to gatekeep improvements will only serve to stagnate the entire community as a whole. Redwine didnt bother to'sue' anyone who 'copied' their mods, because they had the sensibility to realize that what they were doing was anything but groundbreaking.

Are you going to 'sue' the person who implements a cap replacement/wire rewire mod when the next sony player comes along?

This is not what I posted!
I too have learned from others on here eg @Whitigir but I contribute and share back in this thread and many other threads, contrary to my member of the trade status i'm not a business just a hobbyist. Our thread is about sharing so we can all learn from each other. Just taking and profiting by Music-Sanctuary with ZERO contribution/sharing or mention is NOT COOL! Of course they are free to do what they want, we don't own or want to own anything on here we want sharing and contributions to keep the thread alive.

Sep 20, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #2,947 of 3,042
A completed WM1A EXPm2SE mod running @MrWalkman Chameleon 2.0 1Z

3.5mm Single Ended sounds really good with Audionotes and powered direct from the coils.
Bluetooth transmitting through the screen.

IMG_20200830_012402.jpg
IMG_20200830_155528.jpg
IMG_20200830_165525.jpg
IMG_20200830_183415.jpg
IMG_20200919_200145.jpgIMG_20200919_200127.jpgIMG_20200919_200214.jpg
IMG_20200919_200231.jpg
IMG_20200919_195445.jpg
IMG_20200919_195704.jpg
Nice work.I can't wait to check out this mod and compare it with my WM1Z mod Nayparm !!

Sep 20, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #2,948 of 3,042
I did a blind test to compare the 1Z mod with the stock 1A. Both have the same firmware: MrWalkman ++... Définitive score : I definitely differentiate the 1Z from the 1A on 100% of cases. Why ? The density of the notes is different. I find a depth and a greater soundstage on the 1Z, more dense and deep bass and more realistic. The vocals also have a sharper timbre. In general the sound is duller on the 1Z, the dynamics are improved.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #2,949 of 3,042
Man... @MrWalkman I really don't know what to say to ya. This is a masterpiece. Can't really see anything topping this. It's already been 7-8 hours since I installed your newest fw mods been listening nonstop (started around 8 pm and it's already 3 am right now, I'm at the point where my body is twitching randomly lmao), and frankly I'm still speechless. Not only did you smoothen out the peaks in the treble region but you also made the bass reach this deep (i don't like 3.02 because its bassy but this made me think otherwise)! There is also a SIGNIFICANT amount of detail being unraveled, the kinds I have not been able to hear ever since I sold my Zeus (atm my daily drivers are the CFA atlas on SE with PS silver). There's also the nasty amounts of realism you've injected this mod, (bear with me here) I can differentiate the acoustic chambers of the strings used it's weird I know but its the best I can describe it (there's an apparent difference in the pace of each the string instruments used). There's also the unreal soundstage and imaging , its a proper 3d experience pinpoint accuracy (something you cant freely say with the CFA atlas, almost a sin to call it that really lol!). I'm still speechless at this point. Can't sleep because of this fw mod curse thisss lmaoo! But really though, I sincerely thank you for all that you've done for the community! A true breakthrough! It is seriously unbelievable...

Combo: 3.02 Chameleon 2.0 on E
Iem: Campfire Atlas + PSound Silver (SE)

Sep 20, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #2,950 of 3,042
Man... @MrWalkman I really don't know what to say to ya. This is a masterpiece. Can't really see anything topping this. It's already been 7-8 hours since I installed your newest fw mods been listening nonstop (started around 8 pm and it's already 3 am right now, I'm at the point where my body is twitching randomly lmao), and frankly I'm still speechless. Not only did you smoothen out the peaks in the treble region but you also made the bass reach this deep (i don't like 3.02 because its bassy but this made me think otherwise)! There is also a SIGNIFICANT amount of detail being unraveled, the kinds I have not been able to hear ever since I sold my Zeus (atm my daily drivers are the CFA atlas on SE with PS silver). There's also the nasty amounts of realism you've injected this mod, (bear with me here) I can differentiate the acoustic chambers of the strings used it's weird I know but its the best I can describe it (there's an apparent difference in the pace of each the string instruments used). There's also the unreal soundstage and imaging , its a proper 3d experience pinpoint accuracy (something you cant freely say with the CFA atlas, almost a sin to call it that really lol!). I'm still speechless at this point. Can't sleep because of this fw mod curse thisss lmaoo! But really though, I sincerely thank you for all that you've done for the community! A true breakthrough! It is seriously unbelievable...

Thanks, I'm really glad you like it, and I agree that it sounds awesome!

Wait until you'll hear the DMP-Z1 based mod, the soundstage is even more awesome, as well as the bass. Of course, you may still like this WM1Z based mod more, but we'll see. It's in the works for now, and it will be some time until it will get released, but it will be here :)

Sep 20, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #2,951 of 3,042
Thanks, I'm really glad you like it, and I agree that it sounds awesome!

Wait until you'll hear the DMP-Z1 based mod, the soundstage is even more awesome, as well as the bass. Of course, you may still like this WM1Z based mod more, but we'll see. It's in the works for now, and it will be some time until it will get released, but it will be here :)
I really am looking forward to this! I was on DMP-Z1 (switch) for a while and I loved how the bass was so unobtrusive but yet still managed to go deep (not as deep as with chameleon 2.0 but it was enough to keep your head bobbing). A very laidback sound good for when you want to relax and not really nitpick all the flaws in the recording but I would always be looking for a more forward midrange and a more laidback/less peaky treble.

LOL Due to my excitedness with your new mod I seem to have mixed the threads I meant to post my previous reply over at wm1x thread not the modifying one! Mind if I post it there as well? :D

Sep 20, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #2,952 of 3,042
I really am looking forward to this! I was on DMP-Z1 (switch) for a while and I loved how the bass was so unobtrusive but yet still managed to go deep (not as deep as with chameleon 2.0 but it was enough to keep your head bobbing). A very laidback sound good for when you want to relax and not really nitpick all the flaws in the recording but I would always be looking for a more forward midrange and a more laidback/less peaky treble.

The upcoming mod will be more towards the actual DMP-Z1 sound.

LOL Due to my excitedness with your new mod I seem to have mixed the threads I meant to post my previous reply over at wm1x thread not the modifying one! Mind if I post it there as well? :D

Sure, feel free to do it :)

Sep 20, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #2,953 of 3,042

The only thing I can add is, mod will propel this even to higher degree of realism and it’s not a little thing. It’s a small percentage in the teens, but a world’s difference. A much better staging, as in as if you are physically there in that room/stage/live performance/concerts. It’s sounds so real, when you close your eyes with or without a libation of your choice. Moves your emotions up and down like a little ship in middle of sea storm. If you’re going through life’s trial, expect waterworks. Storming bass like the invasion of Normandy. So, get ready for a ride or your life/lives. A word of caution, the better your hardware iems, cables etc the more closer to realism the experience will be; but synergies top them all! Except for format, I believe the most recent Mr Walkman FW allow MP3 to close the gap with higher formats. So get NayParm mod, right now, Pronto! hahaha 😂

I ain’t get paid or receive any benefits from this, but want others to experience what I did 😸

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #2,954 of 3,042
The 4 Kemet KO

IMG_20200913_000054.jpg
the blacker background would indicate less low level noise?
Very interesting.
They fit very perfectly as well, but I see you no longer using the output caps grounds together.
:)

Oyaide SS-47 Audio Grade solder
Do you think this is similar or better than the Cardass solder?

Sep 21, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #2,955 of 3,042
the blacker background would indicate less low level noise?
Very interesting.
They fit very perfectly as well, but I see you no longer using the output caps grounds together.
:)

Do you think this is similar or better than the Cardass solder?

No hiss 👍

Grounds together on this one. They are all the same ground so no difference. It helps when you need all the space you can get for upgrading 3.5mm too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back