Modifying the Xiang Sheng 708B [56K!!!!]
May 8, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #151 of 223
Wow, quite a bit happened since I was last here.

It's good to have you back Charles.
cool.gif
Bummer about the computer virus causing so much trouble. Congrats on the new job though. I've also been making plans to put together a nice two channel system since I'll be moving to San Francisco this summer. Hopefully we'll find a place big enough to have a proper setup.

Those Onix X-Statik look interesting. Open baffle speakers have some serious benefits, but bass depth and weight is usually a problem. So the hybrid approach makes a lot of sense. I've been thinking about something like the GR Research OB-7 kit, but I'd really want to hear one first before spending that much on parts. I'm also considering some Magnepan 1.6s, but again I would need to spend some more time with them first.

Since you sold your 701s and have some HD600s on the way you'll be able to use a smaller uF cap on the outputs. Have you tried those Solen 51uF caps purely as output caps? Even though Solens aren't really that great I still much prefer them to the ELNA e-caps. Of course your Mundorf e-caps are likely much better than the ELNAs I was using so YMMV.

Cloth Ears and jrhill, please feel free to add as many pics and impressions/thoughts/ideas to this thread as you want. I'd like this thread to as diverse a source of info as possible. That and I just enjoy seeing other DIYers work.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #152 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcheming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, quite a bit happened since I was last here.

It's good to have you back Charles.
cool.gif
Bummer about the computer virus causing so much trouble. Congrats on the new job though. I've also been making plans to put together a nice two channel system since I'll be moving to San Francisco this summer. Hopefully we'll find a place big enough to have a proper setup.

Those Onix X-Statik look interesting. Open baffle speakers have some serious benefits, but bass depth and weight is usually a problem. So the hybrid approach makes a lot of sense. I've been thinking about something like the GR Research OB-7 kit, but I'd really want to hear one first before spending that much on parts. I'm also considering some Magnepan 1.6s, but again I would need to spend some more time with them first.

Since you sold your 701s and have some HD600s on the way you'll be able to use a smaller uF cap on the outputs. Have you tried those Solen 51uF caps purely as output caps? Even though Solens aren't really that great I still much prefer them to the ELNA e-caps. Of course your Mundorf e-caps are likely much better than the ELNAs I was using so YMMV.

Cloth Ears and jrhill, please feel free to add as many pics and impressions/thoughts/ideas to this thread as you want. I'd like this thread to as diverse a source of info as possible. That and I just enjoy seeing other DIYers work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just to get this out of the way first...
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
You're back!! LOL
tongue.gif

Yeah, the whole PC virus bit sucked as I didn't only lose my own site, but also a client's! But he was fading out his business anyway so it didn't both him too much.

The X-Statik's are more than just interesting, they are phenomenal! I just got them in yesterday and have had them going non-stop since 3:30pm yesterday. I was just blasting the hell out of them for the first time a few minutes ago with a pipe organ CD. All I can say is WOW! Definately more than my money's worth on these babies!

I was originally going to get those OB-7 from GR (Danny Richie), which also helped design and DID design the crossovers in the X-Statik. The reason I didn't is because I suck at wood work. I mean, I can do it, but it looks like b u t t when I'm done with it.

I can tell you this, don't think about those OB-7's. JUST BUY THEM AND BUILD THEM! Trust me on this. They use 5.25" woofers where mine uses 6.5" woofers, and his uses a ribbon tweeter where mine uses a 1" soft dome. But the major thing is that the OB-7 uses 4 woofers in the sealed enclosure and uses premium caps in the crossover networks. I only have 2 woofers in the sealed enclosure and decent caps. Plus with the OB-7, you can upgrade the drivers for a small fee and have more output, lower distorsion, lower bass and higher power handling. I've had Maggies before and they don't stand a chance against these X-Statik's. The OB-7's are most likely even better!!

BTW, I have the matching X-Voce center channel coming as well. Just ordered it today.

Yep, I have the HD600's coming. As far as the amp though, I think I'm going to leave it as is until I make the move to a new chassis, which I am going to do. Then I'll have it to where it's easy to switch out caps, kind of like what you did in your NAD cdp.

And to the new guys on the block, please do post pics and comments. Every little bit helps!

Now for just a little bit of off topic eye-candy to motivate Derek!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

p496766994-5.jpg

p172850417-5.jpg

p121582817-5.jpg

p373835778-4.jpg

p170092072-4.jpg

p503053974-4.jpg

May 9, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #153 of 223
A question from a "tube-newb" (I'm copy-writing that, hands off...
rolleyes.gif
). Someone mentioned that the 6Z4's out there were all the same (or close to it). A quick search found this
85_1_b.JPG

which looks like the original and this
f6ba_1.JPG

which looks rather different. One by RCA and one by Westinghouse. Different, or the same in different shape (leopard changing its spots, maybe?).

I took some photos (and have a schematic that I'm going to transcribe) from last night - although I think James has already started making changes based on Morgan Jones' Mini amplifier circuit. But I probably won't be able to get to them until the weekend. Definitely work in progress.

May 9, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #154 of 223
There's two different types of 6Z4's out there. The ones you pulled up are the American versions. The Chinese version is the one in our amps. Two totally different tube types, however they might be designed the same internally. I guess if you changed out the tube socket, it might work, but don't quote me on that.

Derek would be the one to ask.
wink.gif

May 9, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #156 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the american 6z4's are tall. so even if you change out the socket, it won't fit the case. the chinese 6z4 is almost like the size of a 12ax7

Well, for one thing, the American 6Z4 is an entirely different tube which also happens to be a full size tube. IF, you wanted to convert over to this tube (if you even can), you would have to relocate it anyway and use a new chassis as the 708B chassis has no room for it, let alone it being taller than the chassis.

May 10, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #157 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, for one thing, the American 6Z4 is an entirely different tube which also happens to be a full size tube. IF, you wanted to convert over to this tube (if you even can), you would have to relocate it anyway and use a new chassis as the 708B chassis has no room for it, let alone it being taller than the chassis.

Thanks, Chops - pictures can fool you (the RCA looked the same size).

I've managed to take the following pictures of the work in progress, but I'd have to leave it to James to explain exactly what's been done. Please excuse the crappy photography...
b416406081.jpg

James circuit diagram of what's currently been done.
1d2f8a40ba.jpg

One picture from above.
d25a115827.jpg

Another picture from above.
6600287985.jpg

And a picture showing the (temporary) set-up for testing headphone jacks and volume controls.

Since these were taken on Thursday night he's looking at changing it to be closer to the Morgan James (with feedback) amp posted by Chu Moy (I hope I spelled that right!) somewhere on the WWW. This 708B circuit seems to resemble it in a lot of ways - which probably accounts for why it sounds so good for so little (imagine a $200 Earmax Pro).

May 16, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #158 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloth Ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Chops - pictures can fool you (the RCA looked the same size).

I've managed to take the following pictures of the work in progress, but I'd have to leave it to James to explain exactly what's been done. Please excuse the crappy photography...

James circuit diagram of what's currently been done.

One picture from above.

Another picture from above.

And a picture showing the (temporary) set-up for testing headphone jacks and volume controls.

Since these were taken on Thursday night he's looking at changing it to be closer to the Morgan James (with feedback) amp posted by Chu Moy (I hope I spelled that right!) somewhere on the WWW. This 708B circuit seems to resemble it in a lot of ways - which probably accounts for why it sounds so good for so little (imagine a $200 Earmax Pro).

Sorry for the delay, been busy with work and doing research on my new vehicle (swapped cars with one of my bro's just for the heck of it!). Looking to do lots of mods to it... Imagine that! LOL

Anyway, you amp looks pretty nice, though I'm not too sure what's up with all the duct tape everywhere.
confused.gif
Aussie's electrical tape?
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

BTW, my new cans came in a few days ago and I've had them running the entire time. They have 80 hrs on them so far and are starting to really open up. Man, I forgot how good these 600's sounded!

p1063760298-4.jpg

And just for fun, here's another shot of my amp with the 51uF Solen's along with the 100+100uF Mundie's.
cool.gif

p891935472-4.jpg

May 16, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #159 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, you amp looks pretty nice, though I'm not too sure what's up with all the duct tape everywhere.
confused.gif
Aussie's electrical tape?
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

BTW, my new cans came in a few days ago and I've had them running the entire time. They have 80 hrs on them so far and are starting to really open up. Man, I forgot how good these 600's sounded!

The duct tape is there for 2 reasons. First, electrical safety - all the 240v wires have been covered pending sealing them up later. Second, to hold the caps (and other stuff in place). Eventually it'll come off and be replaced by heat-shrink or proper mounts.

Still waiting on 2 pairs of 6DJ8's from different places, a GE JAN 5670 and a triplet of Chinese military 6Z4's (to see if we can get any better sounding). And some other Sangamo, Sprague and PIO (Russian) 0.22uF caps for trying out in the 3 places where they're used. And 3 different volume pots, a cheap one, an ALPS blue and a 24 stop stepped attenuator.

We may have to redo the baord before we finish...

Pictures and the new circuit when we get closer to finalising it.

May 17, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #160 of 223
So yeah, as Chops said there's the full-size 6Z4 as well as the mini 6Z4 that's used in the XS. I have no idea why they share the same number. As was mentioned there's no way to fit such a large tube inside the case. Also I doubt the power transformer could handle the heater current since it can barely handle the 6X4 I put in, which draws slightly more than the stock mini 6Z4.

I'm interested to hear your impressions on the three different volume pots. I was considering rigging up a switch setup to compare pots with but never got around to it.

Chops, what kind of car did you borrow? I've done this before too with cars and bikes of friends. Such a great way to experience new machines for free.
cool.gif

May 17, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #161 of 223
Quote:

So yeah, as Chops said there's the full-size 6Z4 as well as the mini 6Z4 that's used in the XS.

I'm interested to hear your impressions on the three different volume pots. I was considering rigging up a switch setup to compare pots with but never got around to it.

Well, I know these 6Z4's are definitely the mini ones, as they're coming from a guy in Shanghai and they've got 7 small pins. And hopefully aren't cloudy like the one in my XS.

My impressions of the pot probably won't be much - I'll let James do that. I mostly worry about what it sounds like when it's being turned up or down. The one we've currently got in there is apparently quite expensive, but it makes a bit of a rushing noise (sort of a combination of a hiss and the sound of the ocean far away) when being turned up or down. Bit it sound quite good otherwise. I wouldn't expect too much of the pots I'm getting - nothing over $8US!!!

May 21, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #162 of 223
Quote:

Chops, what kind of car did you borrow? I've done this before too with cars and bikes of friends. Such a great way to experience new machines for free.
cool.gif

Hey Derek,

Well at first, I was just borrowing it, for a day or two. But now, we have officially switched. We swopped my '02 Miata for his '02 Blazer.

Just in the past week alone, I have pulled the roof rack, properly reinstalled and realigned the headlights, realigned the hood, shaved all the emblems, washed it and detailed it inside and out as well as the engine compartment, and even managed to burn up the vacuum cleaner while vacuuming it out!

Near future plans include getting the windows tinted, dropping it 4" in the front and 3" in the rear, full tune-up, new rotor and cap, coil, plugs and wires, all Amsoil full synth oil, manual transmission fluid, rearend fluid, brake & steering fluid, custom chip, headers, hi-flo cat, 3" single exhaust (super quiet as well), upsizing the rear tires from 235/70-15 to 275/60-15 and eventually a posi-rearend and a supercharger.

p708239665-4.jpg

p608266252-4.jpg

And going from this...
p718844861-4.jpg

To this...
p59235572-4.jpg

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #164 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone else's 708B come with a linear pot in the volume spot?

Mine did.

I have big plans for this little amp.

how do you tell?
mine just says "B100K" on it...

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #165 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Murderer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do you tell?
mine just says "B100K" on it...

REALLY weird, mine has a 50k ohm pot.

anyways, you measure from the input of the RCA to the input on the amp board.

As always observe HV safety.

With the volume set to min, it should read 100k.

If you set the knob to the middle of its travel it should be more than 70k for a 100k-ohm AUDIO pot. If it is 50k, its linear.

Linear pots also have a very non-linear volume scale. They only offer a few degrees of usefull range, with the rest offering little increase in volume for lots of spin...

This just means that when I have money again I have to get one of the Chinese steppers. maybe i can rig a shunt in the mean-time (yuck)

edited/added:
I added a 7.5k ohm shunt resistor between the output and ground. Its better than it was, but still leaves a little to be desired. Its just a band-aid until I can get some cash for a Chinese stepper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back