Modify your Woo 6. . Sophia and EML 274B . Images pages 32, 33, 34 of int. and ext. and discussion of the SE . . .
Apr 5, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #31 of 893
Well right off I didn't like mine but it takes a while for the caps to form and you have Black Gates, which take some time for really form.

What do you think now? :^)

Did you measure the B+ on the output section? It should be around 180 volts. What is the voltage to the input section of the tube on the plate?

I have some Mundorf Silver and Gold oil caps coming. Should be interesting.

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #32 of 893
hey jamato, unless my methods are off i'm getting approx. 178for
the B+ at the output pin 8 section...

Quote:

What is the voltage to the input section of the tube on the plate?

do you mean the input pin 2? if so, it's the same...

Apr 5, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #33 of 893
The B+ on the power section of the 6DE7 is much higher than the input section triode. Pin one is 180 volts or so, give or take some and pin 6 will be around 80 volts. When you look at the bottom pin one is to the left of the gap and you go clockwise when looking from the bottom starting at one and ending up at pin 9 on the right of the opening between the pins.

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #34 of 893
gotcha...i'm using a pair of the 6ew7 and they measure 158 and 64 vdc...
i really should've measure before the mod, but i wasn't thinking...
i'll try the 6de7 at another time...

so far, i've got 5 hrs. on the new cap and i'm liking what i'm hearing.
the sound seems more expansive and complex or heavy passages
seem to be carried out effortlessly...very impressive for what i
thought was a simple mod...at hour 2, i heard some compression
in the sound but now it's very sweet...talk about fluctuations...
i hope it's not another 700 hrs. for this single cap...

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #35 of 893
I don't think it will be near that long. I am looking forward to using the silver and gold Mundorf oil. I still have the stock .1uf caps, which I doubled but the Mundorfs should be quite step up. I also ordered some Black Gates for the power supply but will let the Mundorfs settle in first to see what the sound is like.

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #36 of 893
LOL, i'm gonna have to try those out too...if it sounds anything
like the silver in oil, it's a keeper...

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #37 of 893
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
took me a couple of hours to desolder and redo the power supply but here's
my messy result:

wa6mod14.jpg

wa6mod05.jpg

i'm listening to the wa6 as i type and i can't put my finger on it, but it seems
different to me...i think i have to let it burn-in and settle a bit before i try to
figure out what's different and how...my 650 sounds different...

Damn, now I might do this mod too
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #38 of 893
it's been over 75 hrs since the power supply mod and i have to admit,
it's the best my wa-6 has sounded...i'm dumbfounded to think such
a simple mod can have this much effect in the sound.

one thing i noticed immediately after the mod was the ease with
which the sound is presented compared to the sound prior to the
mod...this is what i hear with the mpx3 slam se...but the mpx3
has slightly less resolution than this modded wa6...my mpx3 has
the jensen pio cap and i think this may be holding back the resolution...

on the modded wa-6 the bass is the most detailed and tightest
i've yet heard thru this amp... the entire range of audible freq.
seems to be even more transparent now mainly due to an increase
in the perception of the separation of notes...i'm hearing more
information from each instruments not because they sound louder
or clearer, but because each note and instrument seems to be
farther apart from each other...that's what sounded so different
to me initially but i couldn't grasp why until more careful listening...

my senn 650 sounds like a different headphone... so much more
involving now...

Apr 7, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #39 of 893
Yep, glad you are enjoying it. I have done this type of pseudo dual power supply for years. i even use it on my The Elaborate Dac that I built and have heard nothing like it.

Easy, makes sense and best of all, it works. Waiting for the silver and gold Mundorfs, Yeah baby, yeah. . . :^)

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #40 of 893
I do notice better dynamics, to the point I don't have to turn the volume up as much. Micro and macro dynamics come through better with crisp definition. Interesting. I am listening to a NOS 1956 Philips Minniwatt metal base and it does sound different from my 1957 metal base. The construction is a little different. Well back to the music and studying critical care.

Listening to some well recorded classical music really allows the amp to shine. Very nice depth and beautiful strings. The hall sound, upper bass and resonant qualities are very convincing.

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #41 of 893
shostakovichs' 11th by stokowski and the HSO is breath-taking on this
amp now... orchestral works was the only thing the maxed
wa6 was behind in compared to the mpx3 slam se, but now it's
no longer the case...

the v-cap is has so much more resolution than the jensen pio...
i want to change it to a mundorf silver or the silver/gold/oil but
don't want to void mikhails' 5 yr. warranty...

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #42 of 893
So, Jam, I am totally ignorant of everything I've read in this thread.

I am assuming my 08/07 built WA6 (with all the upgrades, vcaps and blackgates) doesn't incorporate any of what you've done, and I wonder if Jack is aware of the impact these mods have on improving the sound? And, if so, is he willing to do these mods to our amps for us?

I haven't written to him about it, because I am still not quite sure what the mods are, or how to describe them to him. What do you advise? Reply here or PM is fine.

Thanks!

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #43 of 893
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, Jam, I am totally ignorant of everything I've read in this thread.

I am assuming my 08/07 built WA6 (with all the upgrades, vcaps and blackgates) doesn't incorporate any of what you've done, and I wonder if Jack is aware of the impact these mods have on improving the sound? And, if so, is he willing to do these mods to our amps for us?

I haven't written to him about it, because I am still not quite sure what the mods are, or how to describe them to him. What do you advise? Reply here or PM is fine.

Thanks!

I have kept him abreast of what I have done and the changes. All you have to do is mention the pseudo dual power supply and he will know. Also the 470uf cathode bypass caps.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #44 of 893
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have kept him abreast of what I have done and the changes. All you have to do is mention the pseudo dual power supply and he will know. Also the 470uf cathode bypass caps.

Jamato....without bothering Jack with another of my e-mails, did it sound like this was something he'd do at our request? He's building me a max'd 6 right now, and this improvement has me intrigued.

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #45 of 893
Quote:

Originally Posted by cAsE sEnSiTiVe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jamato....without bothering Jack with another of my e-mails, did it sound like this was something he'd do at our request? He's building me a max'd 6 right now, and this improvement has me intrigued.

The other day Jack told me that the power supply splitting mod jamato is talking about is experimental and he will not do it.

"The power supply dividing mod is experimental as suggested. I would not feel comfortable to offer this mod unless we have tried it."

My woo is being built this week so I guess not.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back