Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Apr 29, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #557 of 1,323
Update on the obscure chinese amp: The amp never shipped, however I got a full refund. Disappointing.. I was excited at the hardware and the price. Interested if you decided to buy it as well. I bought from lusya technology store while it was on sale for $78. It is currently listed by them for $110 and they have a 98% approval rate so not sure what went wrong. It is also listed by saomai audio which is the original maker of the device for $160.

Decided to go with something more reliable and bought the monoprice THX AAA portable from a member on here.

How do you like the MP THX with them? Expecting a pair of Argons shortly as a fun alt for the DT1990, and haven't been super impressed with the 1060C mostly due to comfort issues.

May 6, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #558 of 1,323
I have to say I'm super impressed with the turnaround time I'm getting from Modhouse. I must of gotten extremely lucky and ordered at the right time as I'm getting mine tomorrow, and I ordered March 17th. That's 7 weeks. Really looking forward to hearing them tomorrow afternoon powered by a Stock Gustard H10.

May 6, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #559 of 1,323
I have to say I'm super impressed with the turnaround time I'm getting from Modhouse. I must of gotten extremely lucky and ordered at the right time as I'm getting mine tomorrow, and I ordered March 17th. That's 7 weeks. Really looking forward to hearing them tomorrow afternoon powered by a Stock Gustard H10.

Ordered mine on March 3rd, still waiting. Still should be worth it tho.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #560 of 1,323

The H10 will power them fairly well. I like them best on the H10 with the rear dip switches set to the +12db setting.

May 6, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #561 of 1,323
How do you like the MP THX with them? Expecting a pair of Argons shortly as a fun alt for the DT1990, and haven't been super impressed with the 1060C mostly due to comfort issues.

THX confirmed works wonders on the Argon! The Monoprice one has plenty of power.

May 7, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #562 of 1,323
I ordered March 12th and haven't heard anything since then. Did you guys get an email once they shipped? How long after being shipped did it arrive?

May 7, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #563 of 1,323
I ordered March 12th and haven't heard anything since then. Did you guys get an email once they shipped? How long after being shipped did it arrive?
I ordered mine on March 17th and received an email this morning notifying they have shipped. The shipping label was created and im guessing takes 2-5 days to ship via usps. Not sure why mine shipped before but I would assume yours will be on there way soon!
I got the stock argons, kept the single ended, with cowhide earpads, and no case. I would be interested to see if certain features take longer.

Monoprice thx AAA portable comes wednesday too :)

May 7, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #564 of 1,323
I must have gotten extremely lucky in my order. I remember I sent my TX0’s to him on 12/24/18 and got Argons back 1/7/19. Sounds like this was a crazy fast turnaround. Ryan must have a serious backlog these days.

May 7, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #566 of 1,323
They’re actually Vibrolabs Maple cups, and a standard T50rp mk3 that I built in about an hour. The preview pack is pretty much all you need, add on cables, connectors, (tuning supplies if you need to) and little bit of care when putting them together. Oh, I almost forgot a pair of Brainwavz xl pads.

https://www.vibrolabs.com/fostex-cups/maple

I assume ZMF Eikon pads would fit too as they're pretty wide, ordering Zebra wood I think.

May 8, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #567 of 1,323
I assume ZMF Eikon pads would fit too as they're pretty wide, ordering Zebra wood I think.
I would think so, the cups are 100mm diameter

May 10, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #569 of 1,323
The H10 will power them fairly well. I like them best on the H10 with the rear dip switches set to the +12db setting.

Thanks for the recommendation on the +12 setting, definitely thought the sound improves over the +6. Less dark.

Overall super happy with my purchase. I've bought into the hype on previous headphones and have been left disappointed. (looking at you Ori) It was a tough choice between the lambskin pads and the protein pads, I'm honestly still unsure if I made the right decision. I may end up rolling pads (Eikon Suede) just see what's possible though. My quick thoughts, Sounds big, really has some oomph, slightly dark but decent detail in both bass and midrange. Above average soundstage, great imaging, could use a little bump in the midbass maybe a bit more sparkle on the top end (I like treble). Excel with Rap, Hiphop, EDM, some pop, does decent with certain Rock songs. Frankly just stunning with Movies and Gaming. Although if you're a competitive gamer I'd look elsewhere.

May 12, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #570 of 1,323
I received my argons Friday and have been listening to them all weekend with the monoprice thx AAA portable. They sounds great with more than enough power. I won't go louder than -6db and the amp goes up to +16. This is my first high end headphone, used to beats by dre, apple airpods, gaming headsets and athm50. The argons blow the other headphones out of the water. The reviews on here are exactly what you get. Huge soundstage and tons of bass without sacrificing any vocals or highs. I am using the cowhide pads and am happy I with them. They are like giant pillows on my ears. However, I see why protein pads are the most popular choice for pads and will get them at some point.

As far as competitive gaming goes I think they are usable as long as you can EQ or use a surround sound setting. I play fps games and the low end overpowers footsteps if you don't make changes made to eq. With DIRAC (thx aaa surround sound setting) turned on it felt like cheating. The gunshots, explosions, and footsteps direction wwas easy to pick out and completely separated. I am coming from the sennheiser game one and have tried a friends astro a50 and these are better for pinpointing footsteps. The soundstage is bigger and imaging is better. I find it easy to visualize a player a floor beneath you in a building and the direction he is moving. With the sennheiser and a50 I could tell someone was below me or to me left but had a hard time telling how close. I highly recommend them for competitive gaming but eq is necessary.

Overall very pleased with the argons and well worth the wait.

Would love to hear recommendations of songs to listen to with the argons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back