Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Jun 17, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #616 of 1,326
Hey, folks! Appreciate everyone's contributions to the thread. I'm re-reading for the 2nd time to make sure I don't miss any details. :)

Do any Argon owners out there have experience with the oppo PM-3 or Fidelio X2s? Would love to hear your take on how they compare; from everything I'm reading this sounds like a blend of those two. Those being my current cans -
  • Love everything about the PM-3, especially the clarity, speed and punch, but it's a bit narrow. Makes me feel like I need planars for every purchase going forward, though!
  • Love the fun, comfort, and openness/soundstage of the X2, but the midbass is just a little too forward.
Also, anybody have a read on reviews for the Argon T60RP or how it changes the sound? The soundstage on the Mk3 is what's got my attention; curious if Ryan was able to make the same improvements there.

Thank you!

(edit for clarity)

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #617 of 1,326
Hey, folks! Appreciate everyone's contributions to the thread. I'm re-reading for the 2nd time to make sure I don't miss any details. :)

Do any Argon owners out there have experience with the oppo PM-3 or Fidelio X2s? Would love to hear your take on how they compare; from everything I'm reading this sounds like a blend of those two. Those being my current cans -
  • Love everything about the PM-3, especially the clarity, speed and punch, but it's a bit narrow. Makes me feel like I need planars for every purchase going forward, though!
  • Love the fun, comfort, and openness/soundstage of the X2, but the midbass is just a little too forward.
Also, anybody have a read on reviews for the Argon T60RP or how it changes the sound? The soundstage on the Mk3 is what's got my attention; curious if Ryan was able to make the same improvements there.

Thank you!

(edit for clarity)
I have X1s and Argons. The Argons are not as wide as the X1s, but are wider than every other phone I have (HD600, HD6XX, HD58X, HE-4XX with grill mods which widened the soundstage considerably, Monolith M565Cs, AKG 553 Pro, and Sennheiser HD598Cs). For a closed/semi-closed phone the Argons are very wide. In addition they have a deeper and taller soundstage than any of the other phones including the X1s. I know the X2s are supposed to be superior to the X1s (I have replaced the X1's high capacitance stock cable with an aftermarket cable btw, so differences between my X1s and X2s shouldn't be as great), but to my ears the Argons are considerably better than the X1s in every category but soundstage width. I love the Argons and will never part with them!

Jun 17, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #618 of 1,326

Thank you!

(edit for clarity)
I have X2s, but since I got Argons the X2s are back in the box and up on the loft, so no easy way to compare at them moment. The little comparing I've done Argons won hands down for me. I'm sorry, but I'm not an analytical guy. I slap headphones on the head, if I like them I use them. Argons been used pretty much everyday since I got them. X2s are gathering dust on the loft. That should tell you everything.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #620 of 1,326
I got mine last week and immediately noticed a click in the left cup when you touched it. I emailed Ryan about it, and the same day he emailed to say he'd fix it if I sent them in. Apparently there are some known issues with the swivels, but I'm not sure if those are OEM problems or a result of the mod. Has anyone else experienced this/can it resolve with time?

Jun 17, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #621 of 1,326
I got mine last week and immediately noticed a click in the left cup when you touched it. I emailed Ryan about it, and the same day he emailed to say he'd fix it if I sent them in. Apparently there are some known issues with the swivels, but I'm not sure if those are OEM problems or a result of the mod. Has anyone else experienced this/can it resolve with time?
I have the same problem with the right cup. I haven’t bothered fixing it because it doesn’t “click” when using them. Also, The right cup seems to only play about 95% volume compared to the left. Not sure if that is a problem from the headphones being underpowered or not.

Jun 18, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #624 of 1,326
I have X1s and Argons. The Argons are not as wide as the X1s, but are wider than every other phone I have (HD600, HD6XX, HD58X, HE-4XX with grill mods which widened the soundstage considerably, Monolith M565Cs, AKG 553 Pro, and Sennheiser HD598Cs). For a closed/semi-closed phone the Argons are very wide. In addition they have a deeper and taller soundstage than any of the other phones including the X1s. I know the X2s are supposed to be superior to the X1s (I have replaced the X1's high capacitance stock cable with an aftermarket cable btw, so differences between my X1s and X2s shouldn't be as great), but to my ears the Argons are considerably better than the X1s in every category but soundstage width. I love the Argons and will never part with them!

Good for you, man. According to rting.com HE400 have excellent SOUNDSTAGE. You have modded yours for even bigger soundstage, yet Argons can still beat them!

I love my HD 58X. They are excellent enjoyable headphones, unfortunately the soundstage is way too narrow.
I'm thinking ARGON!

Could you compare Argons soundstage against HD 800?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #628 of 1,326
Good for you, man. According to rting.com HE400 have excellent SOUNDSTAGE. You have modded yours for even bigger soundstage, yet Argons can still beat them!

I love my HD 58X. They are excellent enjoyable headphones, unfortunately the soundstage is way too narrow.
I'm thinking ARGON!

Could you compare Argons soundstage against HD 800?
Thanks for the kind words! I love the 58Xs also. With many types of music (rock , blues, faster music), I actually prefer the 58Xs to the HD600s and the HD6XXs. The soundstage on the 58Xs can be made wider by removing the foam behind the outer grills. With the foam removed the soundstage on the 58X is actually wider than the HD600s and HD6XXs. Performing the foam damping mod to the back of the drivers (see the 58X thread) makes a huge difference in detail and clarity. If you use Sonic Barrier foam material from Parts Express the difference is even greater. Putting Sonic Barrier on the back of the driver improves the detail level to point where they are the equal of the HD600s and HD6XXs and at that point the preference for each phone really comes down to which frequency response you prefer.

I which I could give comparisons between the Argons and HD800s as I've not heard the HD800s. Hope to change that one day however. From all indications the HD800s are probably wider than the Argons, but that's purely going on what I read.

What I love about the Argons is they just sound right to me. They are not the most analytical or technical phone that I've heard, but man are they fun to listen to! You tend to just kick back and enjoy the tunes with them where with many other phones you're analyzing the music. There's a lot to be said for that imho.

Jun 18, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #629 of 1,326
Thanks for the kind words! I love the 58Xs also. With many types of music (rock , blues, faster music), I actually prefer the 58Xs to the HD600s and the HD6XXs. The soundstage on the 58Xs can be made wider by removing the foam behind the outer grills. With the foam removed the soundstage on the 58X is actually wider than the HD600s and HD6XXs. Performing the foam damping mod to the back of the drivers (see the 58X thread) makes a huge difference in detail and clarity. If you use Sonic Barrier foam material from Parts Express the difference is even greater. Putting Sonic Barrier on the back of the driver improves the detail level to point where they are the equal of the HD600s and HD6XXs and at that point the preference for each phone really comes down to which frequency response you prefer.

I which I could give comparisons between the Argons and HD800s as I've not heard the HD800s. Hope to change that one day however. From all indications the HD800s are probably wider than the Argons, but that's purely going on what I read.

What I love about the Argons is they just sound right to me. They are not the most analytical or technical phone that I've heard, but man are they fun to listen to! You tend to just kick back and enjoy the tunes with them where with many other phones you're analyzing the music. There's a lot to be said for that imho.

Sennheiser, used to own the 600 and 800s,

could never find anything wrong with them
when I listen to music is for hours continuously and I do
not do anything else. Every time I would put on the 600's
I would fall asleep within 5 minutes.

As for the 800s there is no more unnatural headphone than these
and the sound stage well this a fad word that I could never understand

finally comparing dynamics to orthos or electrostatics is like
comparing apples and oranges, Any T50RP MK III mod and in particular the T60
in a moderately priced properly set up system with the proper set
of software will simulate any signature you like and destroy
all of the 2 to 3 thousand dollar "TOTL" hyped headphones.

Jun 19, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #630 of 1,326
Just an update, I really like the Schiit Loki in combination with the Argons. I’m able to tame the bass quantity on the fly and I feel it has improved my listening experience with certain musical genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back