Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Oct 17, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #226 of 1,323
On the subject of amps, is there anything bellow $100-150 that will be a decent match for these headphones? Or do I really need a high end amp?

I'm not asking for something that will just drive the headphones in acceptable manner, I think my FX Audio DAC X6 can do that, I am asking for an amp that will squeeze every last drop of goodiness out of these headphones but still won't break the bank :)
You're best bet would probably be a used Emotiva A-100.

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #227 of 1,323
Today I tried wrapping the pads around the cup on my Mk3 in the same way the Mk2 pads are mounted. Resulted in much less leakage and a slight increase in bass impact. This was great with the proteins. The clarity of the treble peak along with the extra bass impact meant I could listen at lower volumes and still enjoy the low end. Lower volume and less leakage means the pad over cup mounting method would make it a pretty decent office headphone if you can get an office amp worth driving it with. I also folded the very edge of the pads back into themselves, not sure if that makes a difference in seal but definitely look better.
If you mount pad this way on a MK3, means all 8 buffle vents will be sealed. Result is a mid bass override.

Oct 17, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #229 of 1,323
So if this is my best bet, there is no point going for "balanced" option then. If I'm not mistaken this amp is not "balanced"?

Right, it's single-ended, and for T50/mods folks are running it with jumpers in meaning you're getting speaker amp output through a headphone jack. Already vastly more power than anybody needs, so balanced would provide no power benefit.

If you're going to go this route, the only question would be, will you always be listening where you can be plugged into this 12-pound speaker amp. : )

Oct 17, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #230 of 1,323
Right, it's single-ended, and for T50/mods folks are running it with jumpers in meaning you're getting speaker amp output through a headphone jack. Already vastly more power than anybody needs, so balanced would provide no power benefit.

If you're going to go this route, the only question would be, will you always be listening where you can be plugged into this 12-pound speaker amp. : )
Well, I just checked and it seems it is really difficult to buy Emotiva stuff in UK. There are a couple of places selling them, but comparing to US price, they want almost double the price. Couldn't fins any second hand units either. I think I will need to find something else.

How about Schiit? Do they make something that can power these headphones with ease and won't break the bank? I have only just bought the FX-Audio DAC X6 and they power my Fidelio X2's with ease. I don't even get to quarter of volume knob with them. I am surprised it will struggle with the Argons. They really must be power hungry.

Not going for balanced will save me some money, so that's a plus :)

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #231 of 1,323
Well, I just checked and it seems it is really difficult to buy Emotiva stuff in UK. There are a couple of places selling them, but comparing to US price, they want almost double the price. Couldn't fins any second hand units either. I think I will need to find something else.

How about Schiit? Do they make something that can power these headphones with ease and won't break the bank? I have only just bought the FX-Audio DAC X6 and they power my Fidelio X2's with ease. I don't even get to quarter of volume knob with them. I am surprised it will struggle with the Argons. They really must be power hungry.

Not going for balanced will save me some money, so that's a plus :)

There's no reason to think that the amp you have no won't be able to satisfactorily power Argons. I would definitely suggest waiting until after you have the headphones and try them with your setup before going shopping for a new amp. Maybe you'll find you're completely happy with that combination, or maybe (hopefully not) you'll find the headphones themselves don't work for you in some respect, e.g., you don't find them comfortable or something. I think probably you'll love them, as most folks do, but you never know.

Now, you might find your amp isn't a good pairing with the Argon. Or maybe even though it's spec'd at more than enough power, it isn't suitable for planar headphones. (Can happen; their requirements are different from dynamic headphones. More current, rather than more voltage.)

There are definitely options for affordable amps that will put out a lot of power. Schiit Magni is $100 and should have more than enough power.

Personally, so far I've been happy with amps like the Walnut F1 ($30, 300mW at unspecified impedance) and the Phatlab Phantasy (ridiculous MSRP, 200mW at 75ohm). I also just picked up a Little Bear B4 ($65, 450mW at unspecified impedance) and that has plenty of power. I have all trans/portable stuff b/c I do a lot of my listening at work or in different places. I won't contest the benefits of going to something with enormous headroom, just saying you don't need that to enjoy these headphones.

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #232 of 1,323
There's no reason to think that the amp you have no won't be able to satisfactorily power Argons. I would definitely suggest waiting until after you have the headphones and try them with your setup before going shopping for a new amp. Maybe you'll find you're completely happy with that combination, or maybe (hopefully not) you'll find the headphones themselves don't work for you in some respect, e.g., you don't find them comfortable or something. I think probably you'll love them, as most folks do, but you never know.

Now, you might find your amp isn't a good pairing with the Argon. Or maybe even though it's spec'd at more than enough power, it isn't suitable for planar headphones. (Can happen; their requirements are different from dynamic headphones. More current, rather than more voltage.)

There are definitely options for affordable amps that will put out a lot of power. Schiit Magni is $100 and should have more than enough power.

Personally, so far I've been happy with amps like the Walnut F1 ($30, 300mW at unspecified impedance) and the Phatlab Phantasy (ridiculous MSRP, 200mW at 75ohm). I also just picked up a Little Bear B4 ($65, 450mW at unspecified impedance) and that has plenty of power. I have all trans/portable stuff b/c I do a lot of my listening at work or in different places. I won't contest the benefits of going to something with enormous headroom, just saying you don't need that to enjoy these headphones.
Thank you for detailed reply. I was told that my DAC should be enough to power the headphones, but more powerful one wouldn't go to waste too :wink: The reason why I'm thinking about a new amp is that I want to get everything possible out of the headphones. I want to be able to judge them as they are meant to be listened to and don't constantly worry that maybe I'm not getting everything out of them.

It is something I've never done before BTW, and to be honest I am a bit worried about it all. Buying a device, then instantly modding it voiding manufacturers warranty. Then there is the fact that is all will be happening on a different continent (I'm in UK) and also it will take a long time and also possible additional custom charges. On top of that, I've never actually heard them and don't even know what to expect. It is all a bit "risky" :D I am usually a safe guy. Order stuff from Amazon Prime, have it delivered same or next day. Like it - keep it, don't like it - send it back. This is a completely different experience :)

The good reviews and the fact that, on paper, this is what I am looking for (very good lows, good mids and highs, closed with good separation, comfy and good looking) means that I am very close from ordering them. I am so curious about the sound, that in my head it is worth the risk :)

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #233 of 1,323
Thank you for detailed reply. I was told that my DAC should be enough to power the headphones, but more powerful one wouldn't go to waste too :wink: The reason why I'm thinking about a new amp is that I want to get everything possible out of the headphones. I want to be able to judge them as they are meant to be listened to and don't constantly worry that maybe I'm not getting everything out of them.

It is something I've never done before BTW, and to be honest I am a bit worried about it all. Buying a device, then instantly modding it voiding manufacturers warranty. Then there is the fact that is all will be happening on a different continent (I'm in UK) and also it will take a long time and also possible additional custom charges. On top of that, I've never actually heard them and don't even know what to expect. It is all a bit "risky" :D I am usually a safe guy. Order stuff from Amazon Prime, have it delivered same or next day. Like it - keep it, don't like it - send it back. This is a completely different experience :)

The good reviews and the fact that, on paper, this is what I am looking for (very good lows, good mids and highs, closed with good separation, comfy and good looking) means that I am very close from ordering them. I am so curious about the sound, that in my head it is worth the risk :)

Oh yeah, definitely don't let me dissuade you from getting the Argons. They're great, and in the worst case if you don't like them, I'm sure you could resell them quite easily, given how high demand is for them right now.

I'm just saying: get them first, then do the amp upgrade. : )

By the way, if you did want something you could order from Amazon and return if needed, you might try the Meze 99 Classic or Neo, as they are closed units that review well and from what I've read might also fit your needs. They would also be much easier to drive. Also, it looks like ZMF has a UK Distributor -- it doesn't seem like they stock the ZMF Classic, but they might be able to special order it for you and provide service/etc. if issues arrive. The ZMF Classic is another T50RP mod which is supposed to be very close to the Argon, with just a bit less bass. (I haven't heard either of these headphones myself, just mentioning in case you decide the Argon international ordering process is going to be a problem.)

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #234 of 1,323
Oh yeah, definitely don't let me dissuade you from getting the Argons. They're great, and in the worst case if you don't like them, I'm sure you could resell them quite easily, given how high demand is for them right now.

I'm just saying: get them first, then do the amp upgrade. : )

By the way, if you did want something you could order from Amazon and return if needed, you might try the Meze 99 Classic or Neo, as they are closed units that review well and from what I've read might also fit your needs. They would also be much easier to drive. Also, it looks like ZMF has a UK Distributor -- it doesn't seem like they stock the ZMF Classic, but they might be able to special order it for you and provide service/etc. if issues arrive. The ZMF Classic is another T50RP mod which is supposed to be very close to the Argon, with just a bit less bass. (I haven't heard either of these headphones myself, just mentioning in case you decide the Argon international ordering process is going to be a problem.)
Thank you, I will keep that in mind. However, I seem to be somehow dazed by the idea of these headphones and I even forgot about the Monolith M1060C that I was so close from buying a few days ago and which I could have the next day (and most likely cheaper than Argons). I'm not sure if what I'm doing is the right thing, but somehow I cannot stop :D

Oct 17, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #235 of 1,323
@HiFiRebel I agree with what other people have been telling you:
wait on getting a new amp until you get the Argons, you may be happy with them as they are...however if you find you are listening to them at full volume, then you may need to get a more powerful amp. The Schiit Magni 3 is a great choice at $100. I have one for my mine and I love the combination. The headphones do require a lot of power, I sometimes have the dial turned as far as the 3 o'clock position. (that would be ear piercing with my other headphones)
As far as warranty concerns, I wouldn't worry too much about that. This is a design that has been around for a long time, Fostex headphones are pretty sturdy. In fact my Argons are based on some vintage Fostex t20 that I bought used.
It sounds like they would suit your tastes, I can't imagine you not liking them. But, if you get them and they don't do it for you, I think they would be an easy re-sell, especially buyers in Europe. The demand for the Argon has been steadily increasing, as evidenced by the increase in wait time. You won't have a hard time selling them to someone that doesn't want to wait 3 months to have one made.

Oct 17, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #236 of 1,323
@HiFiRebel I agree with what other people have been telling you:
wait on getting a new amp until you get the Argons, you may be happy with them as they are...however if you find you are listening to them at full volume, then you may need to get a more powerful amp. The Schiit Magni 3 is a great choice at $100. I have one for my mine and I love the combination. The headphones do require a lot of power, I sometimes have the dial turned as far as the 3 o'clock position. (that would be ear piercing with my other headphones)
As far as warranty concerns, I wouldn't worry too much about that. This is a design that has been around for a long time, Fostex headphones are pretty sturdy. In fact my Argons are based on some vintage Fostex t20 that I bought used.
It sounds like they would suit your tastes, I can't imagine you not liking them. But, if you get them and they don't do it for you, I think they would be an easy re-sell, especially buyers in Europe. The demand for the Argon has been steadily increasing, as evidenced by the increase in wait time. You won't have a hard time selling them to someone that doesn't want to wait 3 months to have one made.
Perfectly said.

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #237 of 1,323
@HiFiRebel I'm in a similar boat with an argon mk2 on the way from a fellow head-fier. I spent a lot of time browsing this thread wondering if my objective2 would be up for the task. There were a couple people saying it powered the argons fine.
I have some mods on the way that will increase the output of the amp a bit (o2 booster board + 15v rail mod). I'm mainly modding because it's fun, but I think it's good to heed advice about listening to the headphones first before buying a new amp.
To give an idea of what under-powered planars sounded like (to me)...I was running my he400i off of a Fiio e17k (a usb powered amp) before I got the o2. I found the vocals sounded great in isolation, but had trouble maintaining that clarity when there was any bass. The vocals were significantly veiled behind the bass. It wasn't until I upgraded to a powered amp that the problem went away. In my experience, it was quite easy to tell that the headphones were really under powered. Hopefully that helps you decide if you need an amp upgrade after you've had a listen on your current setup.

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #238 of 1,323
I have had a chance to give my Argons my undivided attention lately. I really love them.
I got them, and then the same week I got the Dekoni Blue (on loan) and the Fostex TR-90. There was lots of fun A/B action, I frequently had to force myself to stop listening to the Argons and give the other headphones a chance.
Now that I don't feel obligated to listen to them fight it out with any other headphones....they are fantastic sounding headphones. They are literally so good, so unusual, that I am rethinking my values in headphones. They are a dark, rich sounding headphone...at first glance, compared to my other headphones, they have rolled off treble. Maybe they are a little too smooth, lacking those sparkly details?
but...with more time to listen to them, I realize, it's easier to listen to them longer. They aren't lacking in treble and detail...there is just enough there so you aren't missing anything, but you can listen forever.

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #239 of 1,323
I have had a chance to give my Argons my undivided attention lately. I really love them.
I got them, and then the same week I got the Dekoni Blue (on loan) and the Fostex TR-90. There was lots of fun A/B action, I frequently had to force myself to stop listening to the Argons and give the other headphones a chance.
Now that I don't feel obligated to listen to them fight it out with any other headphones....they are fantastic sounding headphones. They are literally so good, so unusual, that I am rethinking my values in headphones. They are a dark, rich sounding headphone...at first glance, compared to my other headphones, they have rolled off treble. Maybe they are a little too smooth, lacking those sparkly details?
but...with more time to listen to them, I realize, it's easier to listen to them longer. They aren't lacking in treble and detail...there is just enough there so you aren't missing anything, but you can listen forever.

I have a pair of beat-up HD800 that I got cheap secondhand, and I certainly can't make the case that the Argons are better in terms of technical performance, buuuuuut the Argons are certainly more versatile and w/fenestrated pads on them I never really feel like I need to switch off to something else.

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #240 of 1,323
I have a pair of beat-up HD800 that I got cheap secondhand, and I certainly can't make the case that the Argons are better in terms of technical performance, buuuuuut the Argons are certainly more versatile and w/fenestrated pads on them I never really feel like I need to switch off to something else.
I find it really interesting that the Argons get talked about in the same breath as a lot of headphones that cost much more, or have a higher reputation. I would have never thought to ask this, because it seems like a silly question, but since you happen to have both, how does the soundstage of the Argon compare to the HD800?
I have never heard them, but I have read about the amazing soundstage of the HD800....and of course everyone says the Argon has great soundstage..but are they comparable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back