Modern rock so bad, kids turning to "classic rock"...
Feb 14, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #61 of 109
Quote:

Oh, except when I was 12 or so (1982, for reference), I got an AC/DC shirt at this cool store in town (everyone had one) that had iron-on's all over the walls, you could pick your iron-on and your t-shirt. They also sold belt-buckles, ball caps and had a Space Invaders game in the back. Man, that store was the best.

lol, there is a store a few blocks from my work that is EXACTLY like that. everything you just mentioned including the space invaders game (maybe it was pong?) to the belt buckles and baseball caps.

Feb 15, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #62 of 109
I'm 17 at the moment and I'm a straight up Music-holic. The way I see, there can be beauty in any genre, any artist, any style of music. At the end of the day, there's just something "true" about music and restricting yourself to one genre or segregating based on age is silly and trivial.

Today, I have listened to Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, a Corelli concerto, some Johnny Cash, Radiohead, the White Stripes, and god knows what else. That's not to "brag" that I'm into so much music, this stuff just appeals to me for some unexplainable reason.

Probably entering into the realm of Aesthetics but I just feel that beauty can be found anywhere. Its important to have an open mind for these kind of things
wink.gif

Edit: About the whole "shirt" thing: If people want to wear Shirt X or Shirt Y, let them! If it makes them feel better about theirselves knowing that they are now "cooler" for wearing a shirt everyone likes from some ancient or obscure band, more power to them. Doesn't bother me a bit. Some people I know love to point out how much a "poser" some people can be. Let them have their fun, just sit back and listen to the music
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #64 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
I'm glad you brought this up, because there was a demon floating in the back of my mind about this very notion. The 'trucker' phenomena of the past few years, where kids are dressing 'white trash' (solidified by the Dukes of Hazzard remake) may be a significant aspect in the rise of interest in classic rock. They may just think its funny to listen to Led Zeppelin and wear a Swan Song label t-shirt or an AC/DC logo hat. They sell those at Target, you know.......

'course your not really white trash unless you have a Foghat concert t-shirt........that you bought at the show...........in 1985.

It's really not that hard to tell if somebody is a real fan or just trying to blend in. I'm 14, I have a Pink Floyd shirt and a Jimi Hendrix shirt, I also have a Miles Davis shirt and Funkadelic shirt. Am I trying to blend in? No. It has nothing to do with a fad of any kind, it's just the kind of music I like which happens to be a huge part of my life. When I see people with their AC/DC shirts, and iPods filled with Eminem and Linkin Park, I just laugh and think to myself "at least they tried".
tongue.gif

Where I go to school, the ratio of "posers" to actual fans is probably a bit better than some other places though. I have friends who have a great jazz group, and another friend who used to live next to Eric Clapton. People like these are just as prominent as the phonies.

Feb 15, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #65 of 109
I don't know if I see much of a change. I think things are pretty much the way they always were. Yeah some kids dig classic rock and are into crazy hobbies like headphones, but the majority aren't. I don't think there has been a big shift.

I mean Nickelback is still selling to sell out stadium crowds right? [cringe]

Feb 15, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #66 of 109
To me there's enough rock (metal) with emotion and talent (and female vocals
wink.gif
) for me to have no need to dig into Classic rock (which I respect, but dont enjoy listening to)

Feb 15, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #67 of 109
My thinking (I listen to my share of classic rock) is... why only listen to what's good now? It doesn't really matter when it was made. Good music is good music, whether it was made 30 years ago or a week ago.

Feb 15, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #68 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
To me there's enough rock (metal) with emotion and talent (and female vocals
wink.gif
) for me to have no need to dig into Classic rock (which I respect, but dont enjoy listening to)

I dunno, kind of seems like you're limiting yourself. Based on your album list, there really isn't too much you have prior to the late 80's (most stuff from late 90's onward).

Feb 15, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #69 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
You think Lifehouse is bad?
confused.gif

Well, since you asked... Lifehouse is HORRIBLE. I don't mean mediocre, or not my taste, but absolutely unlistenably horrid. Their lyrics are hopelessly contrived, their music is astonishingly unoriginal, and everything about them oozes fake band manufactured by a greedy record company. Their is nothing honest about anything they do. Additionaly, this is hardly just an opinion I hold. I thought dislike of them was universal by those who actually like music. Kinda like Creed or Nickelback.

To each his own I suppose.

Feb 16, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #70 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
I dunno, kind of seems like you're limiting yourself. Based on your album list, there really isn't too much you have prior to the late 80's (most stuff from late 90's onward).

Indeed, what I said may have seem like its deliberate, but I havent found anything from that era apart from the odd few hendrix songs that I enjoy. Theres not much actual "Rock" that phases me im more of a metal person.

Feb 16, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #71 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane
Well, since you asked... Lifehouse is HORRIBLE. I don't mean mediocre, or not my taste, but absolutely unlistenably horrid. Their lyrics are hopelessly contrived, their music is astonishingly unoriginal, and everything about them oozes fake band manufactured by a greedy record company. Their is nothing honest about anything they do. Additionaly, this is hardly just an opinion I hold. I thought dislike of them was universal by those who actually like music. Kinda like Creed or Nickelback.

To each his own I suppose.

That was rather insulting I guess. But to me, it's more important to write music that the artist actually mean. When you say that there is nothing honest and that the "ooze" fakeness I really have to wonder how many albums or songs of theirs have you actually listened to and try to get what they are trying to convey? Is there any chances where you can let me know where was the band being "contrive" and "fake" lyrically speaking?
Talk about dishonesty and unoriginality, I can think of plenty of bands who are honestly making music just to entertain and will sing of things that they never mean just to acheive it. I mean it's easy and cool to beat down popular bands and all but rather hard to justify why.
So now I must dislike a band that I like to like music. "Hi, I like music, that's why I hate Lifehouse."

Feb 16, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #72 of 109
Quote:

Indeed, what I said may have seem like its deliberate, but I havent found anything from that era apart from the odd few hendrix songs that I enjoy. Theres not much actual "Rock" that phases me im more of a metal person.

Try these groups out:

Velvet Underground (specifically the song Sister Ray)
The Stooges
MC-5
Blue Cheer

Les Rallizes Denudes (Japanese: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...1fe4j575wae~T1)

icon10.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #73 of 109
I know of MC-5 and The Stooges, and Ive heard Velvet Underground mentioned on the forum before.

Punk isnt my thing, all punk music ive come across sounded horrible to me and what it stands for/lyrical content is just totally non-appealing (to me).

MC-5 and The Stooges' music sort has too much of a youth angst edge for me to like it.

I can see where you got the recommendations from too because the groups listed would be some of the pre-Black Sabbath metal foundations. I probably should have been a bit more specific.
The majority of the music has some sort of dark emotion to it, I find myself in the Darkest Desires thread quite alot
smily_headphones1.gif
Although from the "classic" darker stuff of this time the only thing that tickled my fancy was Siouxsie and the Banshees.

I thought something like Pink Floyd would do the trick although didnt seem to work for me, didnt like the vocals either.

Thanks for trying though =)

Feb 16, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #74 of 109
Hmm, Classic Rock that would appeal to Modern Metal fans...I guess just go for raw energy, but not punk? Hmm...The Who? The Kinks? Something like that? Steppenwolf?

Feb 16, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #75 of 109
Quote:

I know of MC-5 and The Stooges, and Ive heard Velvet Underground mentioned on the forum before.

Punk isnt my thing, all punk music ive come across sounded horrible to me and what it stands for/lyrical content is just totally non-appealing (to me).

MC-5 and The Stooges' music sort has too much of a youth angst edge for me to like it.

I can see where you got the recommendations from too because the groups listed would be some of the pre-Black Sabbath metal foundations. I probably should have been a bit more specific.
The majority of the music has some sort of dark emotion to it, I find myself in the Darkest Desires thread quite alot
smily_headphones1.gif
Although from the "classic" darker stuff of this time the only thing that tickled my fancy was Siouxsie and the Banshees.

I thought something like Pink Floyd would do the trick although didnt seem to work for me, didnt like the vocals either.

Thanks for trying though =)

Yeah, I think I hear you. I mentioned Sister Ray, as it is just about the darkest and most metallic that the Velvets ever got.

How are you on Joy Division?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back