Modern rock so bad, kids turning to "classic rock"...
Feb 13, 2006 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
I've noticed this trend on this site over the past several years (and I'm glad to see it, too, BTW). I know Head-Fi is mostly made up of younger people (high school/college), so it never ceases to amaze me that the most talked about band in this forum is probably Floyd. It is further evidence that today's music just doesn't cut it, if it's so bad that many youngsters are turning to "unhip" "has-been" older stuff, that really does run contrary to typical teen code of behavior that likes to mock anything that happened before them.

Anyway, Rolling Stone has a good article on this phenomenon:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...s-player=false

Quote:

A new generation of fans turn to Hendrix, Floyd and Zeppelin

Like countless parents before him, Steven Tyler is shocked at the music that's been blaring out of his fifteen-year-old son's bedroom lately. But the Aerosmith frontman can hardly disapprove. "I walk by at night and my son is listening to Zeppelin stuff, like 'Black Dog,'" Tyler says. "He's turned all his friends on to Cream, and they're all into [Aerosmith's] Toys in the Attic. I told him, 'I can't believe you're listening to this.'"
Though classic rock is in no danger of edging out emo and hip-hop on most teenagers' playlists, a growing number of kids are also making room for Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix and the Beatles. At the same time, electric-guitar sales are soaring, with the cheapest models nearly doubling in sales from 2003 to 2004. "Kids go through hard rock, hip-hop and pop very quickly, and then they're hungry for something else," says E Street Band guitarist and garage-rock DJ Steven Van Zandt -- who gets hundreds of e-mails from teens thanking him for introducing them to bands like the Kinks. "They always end up coming to [classic] rock & roll."

Nine percent of kids ages twelve to seventeen listened to classic-rock radio in any given week in 2005 -- marking a small but significant increase during the past three years -- with a total of 2.3 million teens tuning in each week, according to the radio-ratings company Arbitron. And some markets have seen more dramatic growth: Teen listenership at New York's Q104.3, the nation's largest classic-rock station, has jumped twenty percent since fall 2002. "It really started in the past five years," says Q104.3 DJ Maria Milito. "You get these boys calling to request Hendrix whose voices haven't changed yet." Van Zandt's Underground Garage, heard on 140 radio stations across the country on Sunday nights, draws a third of its audience from listeners under twenty-five.

For teens, not all classic rock is created equal. According to the market-research firm NPD, kids ages thirteen to seventeen bought twenty percent of all Floyd and Zeppelin albums sold from 2002 to 2005, and seventeen percent of Hendrix and Queen discs but accounted for just three percent of Creedence Clearwater Revival sales, six percent of Rolling Stones sales and a paltry one percent of Cat Stevens sales. "There's such a force and power to a band like Zeppelin," says Rhino Records marketing vice president Mike Engstrom, adding that young buyers drove sales for the label's 2003 DVD collection of live Zep.

Young fans' enthusiasm helps evergreen discs such as Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and AC/DC's Back in Black sell thousands of copies a week. "Week after week, a whole new group of people are discovering these albums," says Jeff Jones, executive vice president of Sony BMG's reissue label Legacy Recordings.

Veteran artists are also seeing a surprising number of young faces at their concerts; at one Tom Petty show at New York's Jones Beach last June, kids as young as fourteen showed up in packs and sang along fervently. "I don't know how to explain it," Petty says.

"We're now seeing an audience that goes from sixteen to sixty," says Allman Brothers manager Bert Holman. "Kids feel they're seeing something legendary and special." Classic-rock mainstay George Thorogood, meanwhile, has had to change his set lists to accommodate the growing number of kids at his shows. "I've had to clean it up a little bit," he says. "It's like, 'Cocaine Blues'? Maybe not."

Why would kids born in the Nineties turn to timeworn guitar anthems? For all of the vibrant rock recorded in the past ten years -- from pop punk to neogarage to dance rock -- no new, dominant sound has emerged since grunge in the early Nineties. "I can't think of a record recently that blew people's minds," says Jeff Peretz, a Manhattan producer and guitar teacher. "And there aren't really any guitar heroes around anymore. Kids don't come in and say, 'I want to play like John Mayer.'"

"There is such a drought that kids are going back and rediscovering the Who and Sabbath," says Paul Green, who runs the Paul Green School of Rock Music, which has expanded from a single Philadelphia branch in 1998 to schools in twelve other cities.

At the same time, the Internet has made forty-year-old hits as accessible as current chart-toppers. "I started to see this as a real trend when Napster started around 1999," says Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry, who has two teenage sons. Last year, teens even started believin' again in Journey's power ballads: They pushed the band's 1981 song "Don't Stop Believin' " into iTunes' Top Ten after it popped up during a romantic moment on MTV's wildly popular reality show, Laguna Beach. It has since sold more than 200,000 digital singles. "It makes me so happy that a new generation would embrace something we believed in," says former Journey singer Steve Perry. "Back when we were first successful, we were dissed -- but time has told a different story."

Old rock has become fashionable, too. The years-old couture and thrift-shop vogue for vintage rock T-shirts recently trickled down to mall retailers catering to teens, with Doors and Rolling Stones shirts selling fast at stores such as Hot Topic.

"It's almost a cyclical thing -- as music ages, it can become cool again," says Rilo Kiley frontwoman Jenny Lewis, who covers the Traveling Wilburys' "Handle With Care" on her new solo album, Rabbit Fur Coat. But Lewis also sees a simpler reason for the trend: "It's called classic rock for a reason -- it's classic. It's just really great music."

Feb 13, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 109
Absolutely. All of the "smart", "gifted" kids (proper term?) at my school are listening to classic rock, myself included. You throw a stone and hit someboy wearing a "Dark Side of the Moon", Led Zepplin, or Hendrix T-shirt. Meanwhile we all look down and laugh at all of the emo/stoners with HIM or Avenged Sevenfold shirts.

Interesting article.

Feb 13, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 109
It's not that surprising to me. It's seems that "classic rock" has always been popular and that most kids who are into some type of rock find their way back to it at some point, especially since it's the predecessor to modern rock.

FWIW, back in my younger days when I was heavily into the New Wave scene, there were plenty of kids listening to Floyd, Zeppelin, The Doors, etc. Granted, it wasn't so "classic" back then but it was still popular. When hair-metal bands took over, most of the kids I knew who listened to them also listened to their fair share of classic rock as well.

Feb 13, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 109
Classic Rock also has much better cache overall. When I first got into music I didn;t want to listen to anything that wasn;t wholly original and groundbreaking. As a result instead of listening to Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, or Nirvana I listened to Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, and Pink Floyd. Those bands were all groundbreaking and brilliant, and there was no doubting that.

It took me longer to appreciate today's music. This is because it is much harder to near impossible to change the world of rock anymore. Simply too much has been done. So, not today's music is about great bands making personal and subtle statements about music and art. As great as classic rock was, I would not hesitate to put bands like Wilco, The Falming Lips, and Radiohead into the same category as far as quality, especially when it comes to straight songwriting.

Another HUGE and more important change is how the music is marketed and consumed. All bands must have an image now, and music is consumed much more on a per song and hence much more ephemeral basis. Albums dont mean as much, or even anything, to alot of kids now. Afterall, most dont even own cds, just ipods.

Bands now also must compete against exponentially more entertainment, both musical and non-musical. Remember in the early 70s, there were no VCRs. If you wanted to do something with friends, and choose your entertainment, it was listening to music. Additionally the internet and the low cost of recording has raised the number of available albums to almost uncountable lengths. In the 60s, however, there were still relatively few albums available and relatively few places to read about music. Take a look at some people's top ten lists from last year, I havent seen a single one where I have heard about all the artists let alone heard all the records (atleast from writers with taste I respect.) This simply didnt happen in the early 70s. So while many people have recognized say, Arcade Fire - Funeral as a bonafide classic it will never be able to be as mainstream as music was in the classic rock era.

Finally, what I am saying, is that the popularity of classic rock compared to today's music is much more a function of the time and technology than it is the quality of music. As insane as it may sound, the last ten years would still stack up pretty favorably to 67-77. Especially when you take into account the amount of great music created. You just have to be willing to look.

Feb 13, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 109
As a highschooler who didn't really even get into music until a year or two ago, I'd say the problem is just what labels are trying to expose people to. I'm not a big classic rock guy and most of my stuff spans from 1990 on, but I also wouldn't have heard about most of this stuff if I didn't go looking for it. Evanescence are pushed instead of The Gathering, Slipknot instead of Arsis, HIM instead of Emperor--I'm not saying all these obscure acts would really have a shot at making Top 40 hits but it seems like the standard of what got promoted back in the 70s was much higher than now. I may not like Pink Floyd, but I at least don't hate them and I can definitely see why people love them... I can't say the same for most of the stuff out now, and if I had to choose I'd definitely go with Barrett & Co.

It also helps that we teenagers are on the whole lazy bums so we're not going to go looking for good music, we'll just see the popular tunes of today and of a while back. A minority of us have brains and would pick the old stuff.

Feb 13, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 109
This is also good news for the next generation of new bands. Some of those teens are going to grow up and be in some killer bands with some solid rock roots. The future is looking brighter!

Feb 13, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 109
Quote:

All of the "smart", "gifted" kids (proper term?) at my school are listening to classic rock, myself included.

I haven't yet seen many people enjoy classic rock on campus (UTDallas) but maybe they play it in their apartments or in their cars and don't have it blaring on loud (and crappy) speakers that shake buildings.

I'm kind of curious as to what classic rock encompasses...
I didn't really like Hendrix or Floyd or Zepplin, but I do like ELO, Boston, Journey and Aerosmith.

Feb 13, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 109
Whatever was popular between 1960-1980, loosely? The Wikipedia article defines it as a "radio programming format."
Hey, it started locally too
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 109
I'm a frequenter of the Classic Rock forum and a whole lot of the participants there are high-schoolers. I've actually noticed this for about 10 years or so, though it is definitely growing.

Feb 13, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 109
I'm really not too surprised at this. There is a reason that "classic rock" has staying power - it's the best of what was around during that period.

Good music is at least somewhat timeless, though tastes may fluctuate from time to time. Most of the stuff that Steven Tyler's kid is listening to certainly meets that criteria.

Of course, I can think of a few reasons why Pink Floyd might still be popular...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 109
I'm one of the semi-recently reintroduced younger-ish crowd kids. I didn't really start listening to classic rock until I confiscated my parent's old vinyls a few years ago (on the grounds that they have no turntable). About 200 LP's richer, and my taste in music (IMO) is also much improved. But I was still more than a little disilusioned that though my friends and I listen to and play classic rock, we were not hearing anything new that resembled our personal rebirths on the radio. That is to say, there are no 'new classic rock' bands.

Then I heard Silvertide: I already started a thread about them here so I won't belabor you all again with how much I enjoy them or how much I think it is absolutely paramount to your own musical blossomings that you immediately drop what you are doing and check them out. No, I won't do that.

Great thread. I'm glad these murmurings are going on else wheres, too.

Feb 13, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 109
Quote:

This is also good news for the next generation of new bands. Some of those teens are going to grow up and be in some killer bands with some solid rock roots. The future is looking brighter!

Jahn, I was thinking the exact same thing!

Feb 13, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 109
This is a very very good thing. Kids today (including myself, as I'm a youngster of only 22 years of age) are tired of all the trash they hear begin advertized everywhere. I think we realize that most of today's rock is commercial-goaled and due to this, loses all meaning and feeling. Sure, alot of bands do have great musicians who can play their instruments very well, but today's music industry will not let you release music that IN THEIR OPINION will not appeal the public much, even if its a work of art.

The answer to that is to stop buying crappy music just because all your friends listen to it because MTV told them it was cool. HEAR the music and decide for yourself what is worthy of your ears, time, money, and attention. For me, like many others, classic rock is the way to go.

Feb 13, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 109
wow... so im NOT a freak!
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #15 of 109
I just don't see this as news at all. When did people ever stop listening to Jimi, or the Allman Bros, or Led Zeppelin? Sure there are the current popular trends over the years, but the classics are classics!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back