Modern rock so bad, kids turning to "classic rock"...
Mar 3, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #106 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewtz
I miss power ballads, southern rock, and guitar solos a lot also. What happened to them?

They left the mainstream and now live & breed in the small & independant labels.

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #107 of 109
Got any new examples? Would be interested in finding some.

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #108 of 109
GlendaleViper....Insightful post but you dismiss the other genres much too casually. Some are very worth pursuing. Popularity and sales in commercial music is 80% marketing and 20% substance. The vast majority of the record buying public are casual listeners and will gravitate towards what is popular (marketed) and what is being played on radio. This is why rock music is most popular, regardless of how good or bad it may be. It was made for the key demographic buying public (teens). This is not to say that there is not good music out there. There is but it's rare because the record companies do not have the patience for anything "different" and they do not want to take risks. Artists do not get several chances anymore. There are many Bruce Springsteens out there working retail jobs because record company will not wait 3 records for an artist to churn out a "Born to Run." Just look at how many flash in the pan bands are out there. It has become a business not an art. You could hold your breath forever waiting for another "Tommy", "Quadrophenia" or "The Wall" because projects of that nature will never get support or patience in today's market. Too risky.

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #109 of 109
I'm a big metal head. I respect all the great metal bands from the 80's : Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth and so on. I also have respect for bands like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd even though you wont find any of their music on my playlists. But regarding music these days, and particularly metal, I look to Finland and Sweden for great metal. They seem to have a never ending supply of great bands. 95% of the music coming out from over there is unlike anything coming out here in the US. The reason I bring this up is because I think alot of people seem to think that if there isn't anything good coming out here in the US, then there must not be anything good coming out anywhere. In other words, if they dont hear it on the radio or see it on MTV, then it doesn't exist. I guess my point is that I personally dont look backwards as much as I look forwards in other places besides the US for music that I enjoy. Just thougth I'd put in my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back