Modern rock so bad, kids turning to "classic rock"...
Feb 17, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #91 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Quite.

I went out with a girl for a long time who wore a Ramones shirt. I complimented her on it one day, and asked her what songs she liked from the band. She couldn't name one song from them. I was kind of shocked - but she was very, VERY pretty so I really didn't care in the long run
biggrin.gif

That reminds me of that line in the Wedding singer when his Ex woke up in his Van Halen T-Shirt - "Take that off before you give them bad luck and they break up!"
icon10.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #92 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
Or... because you thought it's only because he thinks it sounds cool?
Base on the fact that the band comprises of Christians and by simply reading thru the lyrics, I'll probably imply that the song was written from a human to God.

As a straight man I assumed Rob Halford (of Judas Priest) was singing about women in many of his songs because I assumed he was also straight. And look how that turned out.

PS: Evil Fantasies never ever sounded the same again
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #93 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
As a straight man I assumed Rob Halford (of Judas Priest) was singing about women in many of his songs because I assumed he was also straight. And look how that turned out.

PS: Evil Fantasies never ever sounded the same again
frown.gif

LOL How about Jawbreaker? Read the lyrics and think about that name:

[size=xx-small]
Deadly as the viper
Peering from its coil
The poison there is coming to the boil

Ticking like a time bomb
The fuse is running short
on the verge of snapping if it's caught

And all the pressure that's been building up
For all the years it bore the load
The cracks appear, the frame starts to distort
Ready to explode - Jawbreaker

Crouching in the corner
Wound up as a spring
Piercing eyes that flash are shimmering

Muscles are all contorted
Claws dug in the dirt
Every ounce of fiber on alert

Ready to explode - Jawbreaker[/size]

Also I started out as a teenager listening to a lot of Industrial Rock. I loved NIN remix cds and that lead to other harder groups. However I have always loved Pink Floyd and think they are the most important band ever. I can't stand listening to Led Zeppelin, though I admit it has been 5+ years since I last gave them a chance.

Oh yeah, nice quote. I love Supernaut.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #94 of 109
I think it's great that this subject has been brought up with such passion and yet remains so thoughtful. As a 26 year old, I've seen the record turn into the tape turn into the CD turn into the mp3.
I've seen rock die. Saw it die again as 80's "alternative" and Punk/Thrash Metal made way for the bombastic freshness of Hip-Hop and Techno - which took hold of urban music in much more profound ways than disco and funk ever could have.
And here we are again. Are we looking at revivals? Ressurections? Or is the appeal of rock deeper than we think - Maybe it never died!?
I think one of the most important facets of Rock and Roll has always been its ability to remain honest. Think about it: In nearly every form it has taken, Rock has remained the cockroach of the music industry throughout the decades. From early beginnings as an offshoot of Blues and Honky Tonk, to Garage, Surf, Psychedelia, New Wave, Avant-garde, Punk, Metal, and just about every conceivable iteration in between, rock has remained in our minds, hearts, sometimes the charts.
Love it or hate it, people keep finding ways to come back to rock and roll. Why? Honesty. There's a degree of playfulness in Rock that just can't be found elsewhere. Rap tends to have inaccesible lyrics and ultimately neglects melody. Techno tends to focus on dance or pure soundscape and often abandons message. Classical is rigid and (thankfully) has not yielded to embrace those not accustomed to the time commitment required and feeling emotion through strict instrumentation. Jazz alienates with an often outright pretentious attitude to the uninitiated. (I'm missing genres here, but let's get to the point):
From a three-piece to full orchestral set ups, the experiments in sound, delivery of lyrics and range of recording styles have kept rock fresh; the consumption of which keeps rock validated. True, in a lot of cases this translates to a return to form - retro-rock-revival as it were. In other cases, we see the fabricated pop-rock (Crock and Roll?) on the charts. Even pure expansion of unchallenged paradigms.
But it's all beyond the point. Music is good based upon taste alone. A snobby connoisseur can dismiss the trendy listener as an uneducated sheep who listens to music for it's chic status. The same uneducated sheep can come back and dismiss the snob as a sucker for punishment who can't find enjoyment out of life without sucking some out of another. Fact is, you like what you like and your own reasons for it alone are what matter.
There have been a lot of excellent points made throughout this discussion, but I think one in particular has really emerged as the catalyst: The idea of the dig. Let's disregard rock and move this to music as a whole. The moment one starts to dig - to see what's available outside the margins, to see what's been pushed aside into obscurity and to delve into the roots of a particular music style - we learn one critical point about a person.
Not just that they want to see what else is out there.
Not just to see what they're missing.
Not just to give themselves a history lesson.
Certainly not just to take a critical approach in discovering why they like what they like.
What someone is truly trying to uncover, is more of what they love. Inside or outside the confines of what they already know, the musical archaeologist is simply trying to uncover pieces of history, past and present, that culminate in an endlessly expanding database of experience, and above all, joy.

I feel confident that I can speak for all of us when I say there would be no hunt, no turned stones, not even this thread, if we would all be content with the idea that our musical escapades were limited. We do it for fun. We do it for our souls. And given the forum, we all do it for our precious, precoius ears!
orphsmile.gif

I hope this sparks more thought than it does controversy!
icon10.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #95 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
Like 4... 5 songs? Have you heard their latest album? They changed their sound.

Grrr...Lifehouse irritate me. They're a dreadfully bland, identikit rock band, who have nothing original going for them, and are ultimately dull. The 'change of sound' still didn't bring much new into the mix - they fall right into the middle-of-the-road, Nickelback, Creed, Foo Fighters etc bland rock bands. My music loving tends towards the bands who do something different - ergo my favourite albums of last year were Gorillaz - Demon Days (perfect blend of hip-hop and dark pop, not a bad (or even mediocre) song on the album, shoulda taken album of the year), SOAD - Hypnotize (take a lot of bashing from 'musos', but the Middle-Eastern flavour to their music adds enough to interest me, and the crazed rhythms and lyrics made me really like them), and Sigur Ros - Takk (what a religious experience would sound like were it put to music). Bland, safe, dull rock does nothing for me.

Feb 22, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #96 of 109
breaking news, care of The Onion:

Quote:

Father Doesn't Understand Teenage Son's Obsession With Classic Rock

February 20, 2006 | Issue 42•08

SAN LUIS OBISPO, CA—Phil Poole, 42, said Monday that he is coming to grips with his 15-year-old son Carter's taste in music. "I thought he was playing it as a sarcastic thing, and I was like, 'Hey, kid, your mother and I dated to Boston and Journey,'" Poole said. "But after I overheard him talking about it with his friends, I realized he actually likes it. Then I got worried—I mean, his mother and I dated to Boston and Journey." Michaels added that he will not give Carter $30 to buy a Hot Topic rip-off of the Asia T-shirt he bought for $10 at Spencer's Gifts in 1982.

Feb 22, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #97 of 109
Glendale Viper, you're a writer for Rolling Stone, aren't you?
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #100 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
LOL How about Jawbreaker? Read the lyrics and think about that name:

[size=xx-small]
[/size]

You just ruined my favorite Judas Priest song. Damn You!
mad.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #101 of 109
I've grown up on "classic rock" from my parents, both of them growing up in that time period. And though I know all the classics by heart, and enjoy them when I hear them, I cant say I'd ever go out of my way to hear any "classis rock". In fact I wouldnt even play it, if I hear it at my parents or somewhere else, then grand.

My choice of music leans towards female singer/song writers in same ways (I'm a HUGE Tori Amos fan) and even more female (I love Bjork), and a lot of music influenced around that.

Then my personal choice of music: Progressive death metal, with my favorite band being Opeth. I'm not an agreesive person, but my music would say otherwise, as I listen to tons of death metal, folk metal, and various other "extreme" or somewhat rare metal genre's.

I also enjoy music that's heavily layered, I'm a huge fan of any of Devin Townsend's work. Then there's also my more crazy side, I've been in love with Mike Patton since by the power of luck I was handed a demo disc of Mr. Bungle's "*******it! I Love America!". Needless to say I have an obession with Mike Patton, being a huge fan of Mr. Bungle, Faith No More, Fantomas, Tomahawk, his work with The Melvin's, and his amazing array of side projects.

In highschool many of the kids claimed to listen to "classic rock". I must say I had a rather fun time calling many a person on this, I'd say that half of the time they ended up having no clue even about the band's t-shirt they were wearing that day. Like most trends (sorry if that term upsets anyone) there are those who truely are immressed in the movement, but I find like most things its made of mostly followers.

But my motto for life is do whatever floats your boat, and if "classic rock" floats your boat and sets your sails...... so be it.

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #102 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrying
I've grown up on "classic rock" from my parents, both of them growing up in that time period. And though I know all the classics by heart, and enjoy them when I hear them, I cant say I'd ever go out of my way to hear any "classis rock". In fact I wouldnt even play it, if I hear it at my parents or somewhere else, then grand.

My choice of music leans towards female singer/song writers in same ways (I'm a HUGE Tori Amos fan) and even more female (I love Bjork), and a lot of music influenced around that.

Then my personal choice of music: Progressive death metal, with my favorite band being Opeth. I'm not an agreesive person, but my music would say otherwise, as I listen to tons of death metal, folk metal, and various other "extreme" or somewhat rare metal genre's.

I also enjoy music that's heavily layered, I'm a huge fan of any of Devin Townsend's work. Then there's also my more crazy side, I've been in love with Mike Patton since by the power of luck I was handed a demo disc of Mr. Bungle's "*******it! I Love America!". Needless to say I have an obession with Mike Patton, being a huge fan of Mr. Bungle, Faith No More, Fantomas, Tomahawk, his work with The Melvin's, and his amazing array of side projects.

In highschool many of the kids claimed to listen to "classic rock". I must say I had a rather fun time calling many a person on this, I'd say that half of the time they ended up having no clue even about the band's t-shirt they were wearing that day. Like most trends (sorry if that term upsets anyone) there are those who truely are immressed in the movement, but I find like most things its made of mostly followers.

But my motto for life is do whatever floats your boat, and if "classic rock" floats your boat and sets your sails...... so be it.

hehe thats me, i grew up on classic rock and funk etc
i mean i watch mtv and see the stuff on these days and i cant see how they sell records. ehh it will be like 2050 ill still be listening to Zeppelin and Santana hahha

and ps

i used to call people on wearing there "Trendy" shirts, i always ask them to name 5 songs on said album., 95% of the time they cant....

Feb 23, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #103 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Good music is good music, and will endure over time, and continue to excite listeners; if it has a built-in "sell-by" date, it never had any value to begin with.

woo!
/thread

Feb 23, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #104 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
i used to call people on wearing there "Trendy" shirts, i always ask them to name 5 songs on said album., 95% of the time they cant....

someone tried to pull that crap on me once when i wore an iron maiden jacket to school in 7th grade (my metal year). i made them feel very small.

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #105 of 109
Just found this thread and bringing it up. I find it quite refreshing. I'm 26 and feel old now with music. Bands that influenced me during the early 90's... Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Beck, Green Day, etc, all the leaders in the "Alt Rock" movement are "old". It's funny I would never have thought GreenDay would have been one of the ones out of that group to survive, and stay popular. But as odd as it sounds, I think their music is getting a lot better.

Another newish band, I find will get more respect in years to come, System of the Down. To me personally, they have a very refreshing, distinct sound.

I miss power ballads, southern rock, and guitar solos a lot also. What happened to them? As far as classic rock goes, I love it all, except the beatles.. never.. ever.. have I gotten into the beatles as blasphimous as that might sound to some. Give me some Floyd, Cream, Queen, CCR, Lynyrd Skynryd, Hendrix.

Metal wise, where is Slash Metal gone? Any new bands like Slayer, Anthrax? I'll be the first to admit, I haven't kept up with anything recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back