Modding the Alessandro ms1
Jan 30, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #16 of 49
gary is the guy behind the pa2v2 amp. he's a great, friendly guy who provides excellent service. he's located in canada, but ships internationally.

http://www.electric-avenues.com/

you can buy the pa2v2 on ebay, but its much better to buy them directly from him from the website above. just shoot him an email.
the pa2v2 has a red light, indicating that the amp is working.

Jan 30, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #17 of 49
well, thanks for the advice, but these are not my first pair of headphones, just almost the best i ever had.
i just don't want to make them better, but louder because my small mp3player is to weak to supply them with enough power!
so i'm currently considering about an amp, you know?
wink.gif

and i just wanted to make them circumaural because i think there's to much noise coming through them. that's mostly because they're completely open, but i think this can be reduced by having some good circumaural pads and that's also why i'm asking here for advice
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gary is the guy behind the pa2v2 amp. he's a great, friendly guy who provides excellent service. he's located in canada, but ships internationally.

http://www.electric-avenues.com/

you can buy the pa2v2 on ebay, but its much better to buy them directly from him from the website above. just shoot him an email.
the pa2v2 has a red light, indicating that the amp is working.

so you'd prefer the pa2v2? not the cmoy?
okay... i'll write him an email...

Jan 30, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0ol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so you'd prefer the pa2v2? not the cmoy?
okay... i'll write him an email...

PA2V2 is a Cmoy based amplifier AFAIK that uses opamp chip he likes. PA2V2 is his product name.

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

well, thanks for the advice, but these are not my first pair of headphones, just almost the best i ever had.
i just don't want to make them better, but louder because my small mp3player is to weak to supply them with enough power!
so i'm currently considering about an amp, you know?
wink.gif

and i just wanted to make them circumaural because i think there's to much noise coming through them. that's mostly because they're completely open, but i think this can be reduced by having some good circumaural pads and that's also why i'm asking here for advice
smily_headphones1.gif

As for amps, the MS1's are fairly easy to drive so anything will do. I would only get the CMOY as a last resort (I don't really like it) but since you say that it's very cheap, why not go for something a bit better...if you could find a Govibe that would be great.

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #21 of 49
hum.. that govibe seems to be a lot more expensive... also i don't really know how to pay the money to "gary" because i'm used to the europen currency called euro and i also don't have a credit card...

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #22 of 49
I have a PA2V2 and think the gain in sq is minimal and not really worth carrying it around. These are v.easily driven cans that still sound good unamped, so I would recommend just trying out a bunch of pads to find which gives you the sound your looking for.

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by libertine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a PA2V2 and think the gain in sq is minimal and not really worth carrying it around. These are v.easily driven cans that still sound good unamped, so I would recommend just trying out a bunch of pads to find which gives you the sound your looking for.

it's not the sound! it's the volume! my mp3-player is to silent!

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #24 of 49
they're great headphones that are driven well out any portable device. i would say to just enjoy them as they are.

if you really must mod them, here are some ideas that were floating around my head when i owned them.

1. recable with some higher quality cable. i'd tried canare starquad on my sr225 before and didn't notice any difference. if i did it again, i'd use silver coated copper.

2. replace plastic screen of cup with steel mesh. not sure if this will do anything but it's worth a try.

3. a dab of bluetak on the back of the driver housing. grado uses some type of black goop on the rs1. i think it's to help reduce vibration

4. pad modifications as others have suggested. i personally would go with bowl pads

5. for comfort, i'd get a beyer dt770 headband pad and put it on over the ms1 plastic headband.

good luck!

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Thats wierd, cuz my SR225 is INSANELY loud out of my Creative MuVo TX Mp3 player, and they are exactly same in efficiency.

Time to check you hearing?
blink.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #26 of 49
please read the whole thread... we (or just i) got to another point considering about an amp... about pads: i'll try the 414 modded somewhen, they're not that expensive so it's worth a try and i leave my stock pads stock
icon10.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

please read the whole thread... we (or just i) got to another point considering about an amp... about pads: i'll try the 414 modded somewhen, they're not that expensive so it's worth a try and i leave my stock pads stock
icon10.gif

MaZa brings up a VERY good (often overlooked) point.... Earwax build up can be the root of all evil around these parts. MANY forum members have reported SUBSTANTIAL sound quality gains by having their ears cleaned out. So... its in your best interest.

FWIW... my SR60 is VERY loud straight out my my muvo V100.

If youre using MP3 as your format you can use MP3Gain to boost the overall amplitude of your files. If your files are all ripped at a low db level, this could help.

Good Luck!!
Garrett

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MaZa brings up a VERY good point.... Earwax build up can be the root of all evil around these parts. MANY forum members have reported SUBSTANTIAL sound quality gains by having their ears cleaned out. So... its in your best interest.

FWIW... my SR60 is VERY loud straight out my my muvo V100.

well i have a trekstor i.beat classico fm 2gb it's even very loud as i turn it up to maximum volume (even to loud) BUT: it loses highs and lows, so the sound get's very uncomfortable.
i'm cleaning my ears almost everyday because listening to music is very important to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #29 of 49
Just out of curiosity...how loud do you listen to your music?

If you're in the same room with someone (ie a bedroom or classroom) and he or she can *articulately* hear what's being played, it's too loud. Open headphones should leak enough sound so that anyone in the room can hear that there's music playing through them, but it shouldn't be clearly audible.

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

You havn't inadvertently turned on a volume limiter or anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back