mod: Monoporice 8323
Dec 30, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #91 of 208
The silver cable I used was around $40 delivered. Sorry, I don't have a link. Most will think it crazy to spend more on the cable than the can, but after the mods, I quit reaching for my Grados and will sell them shortly.

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #92 of 208
Jan 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #93 of 208
I believe that is the one.  It is very thin but does a good job with the highs.  I am listening to them right now and they are pretty amazing.  Of course, I am feeding them pretty well.  (FLAC files through an Ibasso D10).

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #94 of 208
im  a lil ignorant when it comes to the files,,,   but my latest from Itunes was a binaural file Amber Rubarth NOVOCAINE and its amazing,,,  gonna compare my 8323 with my coworkers UE6000 using that song....   

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #96 of 208
cant wait to buy a pair and try some of these mods! :) enjoying my fidelio x1 for now until I get some free time for an 8223 project :D

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #97 of 208
Got a question guys my 8323 is arriving in few days and I noticed i got loads of adhesive acoustic foam seems to be the same one that Armaegis used.

So I wanted to ask what is the actual benefit covering the inside of the cup walls with the acoustic foam?

Thanks

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #98 of 208
I find it usually helps even out treble response. In many cases in might actually decrease overall treble quantity, but it should feel more balanced. 

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #101 of 208
I just received mine and they sound pretty great out of the box. I did some soundproofing and I think they sound a bit worse in smaller aspects but not that much. I think I might go along and paint mine a different color because this matte black isn't the most attractive to me. I was thinking like a clear coated gray or something with a little taste. 

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #102 of 208
Alright, I haven't heard anything about anyone else trying this. Really wanted feedback first but don't want to keep waiting. I gave that pair posted above to my friend for Christmas but he is coming from some random Logitech headset...he says it sounds good but doesn't really have comparison. So I'll post this with the hope that others try it.

I don't have the time to do any measurements yet. I can't say yet how these will measure. I've modded 3 pairs so far and they sound great...I am regularly picking them up and putting them on, but sadly this mod doesn't do anything for comfort. =)

--

Here's my passive EQ mod for the 8323. It can be installed behind the driver or inline. The purpose is to attenuate bass and remove peaks in the 6-8k range to elevate the seriously lacking 3-5khz range, balance the sound, and reduce fatigue. The cans will be a little more forward and mid-oriented after the mod, but will still have solid (just not overdone) bass and should be less fatiguing. The can will work with far more types of music after the mod. Details in the upper mids and highs that were simply missing will be heard after the mod. It does change the sound signature so if you are a bass-head or like the 8323 sound, you may want to avoid (or use the less intense values, or buy two and mod one...).

This is what it looks like installed behind the driver:

Here's the schematic. There are also tables with different component values you can use to tune the circuit:

Here's the parts at Mouser. $10 shipped for one can, $15 for two. Also has spares in case you want to change some values.
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=4b2e76698b

If you do this mod with the parts from Mouser, it may look a little different from the photo as I substituted two inductors for cheaper ones with higher resistance. They do little to nothing to the mod but do make the mod smaller and cheaper.

I can post the inline (non-permanent, plug-in box) parts list if anyone wants to do it that way. I don't like box dongles hanging off of my headphone cords and the cans are cheap enough so I just bought multiples and modded a couple. =)

By the way, they're still on sale for $20 and change at Monoprice.

Anyone willing to try this out and give me feedback?

i am considering this mod but have a little concern about C3 and C4. Im guessing these should be the same value for left and right so one is probably incorrect. Anyone know what it should be?

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #103 of 208
I'm contemplating trying some of these mods.  I only wish I understood what each individual modification is supposed to accomplish, so that I can better pick and choose which I'd like to implement.  I have a pair of 8323's, and I have 2 pairs of NXG HTDJ's which are just a better looking version/re-brand of the 8323 that come with stock velour pads and headband. The NXG pads improve the soundstage and make the headphones sound brighter and less boxed-in, but cause a little reduction in bass, loss of isolation, and increase in sound leakage.  

Since I like the look of the NXG's and the comfort of the headband better than the 8323, I took the plastic pads from my 8323 and swapped them with the velour pads from one of my NXG's.  This caused that pair of NXG's to sound exactly like the stock 8323.  This way I have a pair that I can wear at the office without bothering anyone and another pair for home use that sound better to me.  The only other mod I've done for the set with the plastic pads is to replace the foam/fabric that covers the front grill of the drivers with a thinner material.  This enhanced the upper-mids and highs slightly.

So, with all that being said... what modification should I try to increase brightness on the set with the plastic pads?  And, increase some low end on the set with velour pads?

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #104 of 208
to increase brightness...
- get rid of any material in front of the driver
- attenuate bass (which just makes the headphone seem brighter as a result)
- squish the pads so the driver is closer to your ear

to increase bass...
- improve the seal between ear and pad (ie: switch to pleather pad)
- improve the seal between pad and baffle (ie: tape it down)
- increase the size of the cup vents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back