mod: Monoporice 8323
Dec 9, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #79 of 208
Quote:
That looks pretty nice. Did you have to prep the surface? how many coats?

Thanks, No i didn't prep but after painting my first coat like an idiot (got newspaper stuck to it and other stuff) I had to sand it down using 150 Sand paper. This is the second-ish coat, i'll be sanding again lightly and applying another

Here it is after sanding after screwing up the first coat

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #80 of 208
Thanks, No i didn't prep but after painting my first coat like an idiot (got newspaper stuck to it and other stuff) I had to sand it down using 150 Sand paper. This is the second-ish coat, i'll be sanding again lightly and applying another

Here it is after sanding after screwing up the first coat
--picture omitted--

Nice =)

I modded a pair as a gift - closed cell thin foam backing, upgraded cord and the v2.1 electrical mod - and hopefully the recipient doesn't read about it here. Interestingly they sound better than my older modded pair with all the same mods...highs are a bit better, clearer... Component variation shouldn't make that much of a difference, so maybe driver variation?

Anyway, I didn't go so far with my painting, instead only painting a metallic shiny blue mod logo.

(click for larger)

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #81 of 208
Quote:
I designed a 3-5khz freq fix circuit for 8323. Just installed today, testing for a couple hours now, and it's a HUGE improvement. It brings the recessed upper midrange and lower highs more into focus and balances the sound. Effect can be tuned/tweaked by changing one resistor. An effect of the mod is also a boost above 11khz, which is lacking on this can anyway. It makes the headphone seem fairly airy for a closed headphone and doesn't seem to add fatigue. The sound is WAY more balanced now and reminds me sort-of like AD900 but with bass impact and extension, less detail and a slightly more closed soundstage. I like the AD900 comfort more, but like the freqmod 8323 sound FAR more =)
Bass-heads probably need not apply. But bass extension and feel is still there, it just isn't the priority. Effect can be tuned though.
The mod works by reducing bass, starting to slope around 1khz to make the affected 3-5khz region more prominent, and notches the 8-9k peak (the Frys parts I used don't do this well though; low-z inductor would work way better). Makes the headphone WAY more listenable.
If you feel the 8323 is too bass-heavy and / or lacks upper mid and high freq detail, you'd like this mod. It's about $10 in parts from Fry's and will perform much better and probably be cheaper if parts are ordered online. One can make an inline box or do as I did and solder the parts to the drivers.
I haven't measured and done graphs yet...need to set up the equipment for that. They are audibly better and match my expectations from simulation and application of simulation response to electronic EQ.
Anyone interested?

Any update on this one?
Schematics and measurements are eagerly being anticipated!

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #86 of 208
I made some adjustments to my pair. Basically I added my silverstone foam to cover up as much of the inside of the cups as I could and added some more cotton. Tried messing with some stiff craft felt, but it killed the bass so I removed it in the end. I'm quite pleased with the end result. The bass has been reduced, but is still present to provide enough impact and extension. Overall the sound signature is now similar to my modded T50rp but with a little less treble. These don't really stack up head-to-head with my T50rp, but I didn't have any expectation that they would. I'm quite happy for the $25 I paid 
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #87 of 208
I've made two mods to my pair so far and I am pretty impressed with these.  They are great straight out of the box however could use some help in the treble area especially at the very upper end.

1. I cut the cloth material out of the cups so that there is nothing between the plastic grill and my ears.  This helped add a few db to the extreme upper end.

2. I replaced the stock cable with a silver cable from Ebay.  This added a bit to the overall clarity especially of the mids-highs.

The sound now sparkles like I want it to.  I may add some dampening to the cups as my next mod.

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #88 of 208
Quote:
I've made two mods to my pair so far and I am pretty impressed with these.  They are great straight out of the box however could use some help in the treble area especially at the very upper end.

1. I cut the cloth material out of the cups so that there is nothing between the plastic grill and my ears.  This helped add a few db to the extreme upper end.

2. I replaced the stock cable with a silver cable from Ebay.  This added a bit to the overall clarity especially of the mids-highs.

The sound now sparkles like I want it to.  I may add some dampening to the cups as my next mod.

do u have a link to the ebay auction,,, im interested in getting new cable,,,  thnx

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #89 of 208
Alright, I haven't heard anything about anyone else trying this. Really wanted feedback first but don't want to keep waiting. I gave that pair posted above to my friend for Christmas but he is coming from some random Logitech headset...he says it sounds good but doesn't really have comparison. So I'll post this with the hope that others try it.

I don't have the time to do any measurements yet. I can't say yet how these will measure. I've modded 3 pairs so far and they sound great...I am regularly picking them up and putting them on, but sadly this mod doesn't do anything for comfort. =)

--

Here's my passive EQ mod for the 8323. It can be installed behind the driver or inline. The purpose is to attenuate bass and remove peaks in the 6-8k range to elevate the seriously lacking 3-5khz range, balance the sound, and reduce fatigue. The cans will be a little more forward and mid-oriented after the mod, but will still have solid (just not overdone) bass and should be less fatiguing. The can will work with far more types of music after the mod. Details in the upper mids and highs that were simply missing will be heard after the mod. It does change the sound signature so if you are a bass-head or like the 8323 sound, you may want to avoid (or use the less intense values, or buy two and mod one...).

This is what it looks like installed behind the driver:

Here's the schematic. There are also tables with different component values you can use to tune the circuit:

Here's the parts at Mouser. $10 shipped for one can, $15 for two. Also has spares in case you want to change some values.
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=4b2e76698b

If you do this mod with the parts from Mouser, it may look a little different from the photo as I substituted two inductors for cheaper ones with higher resistance. They do little to nothing to the mod but do make the mod smaller and cheaper.

I can post the inline (non-permanent, plug-in box) parts list if anyone wants to do it that way. I don't like box dongles hanging off of my headphone cords and the cans are cheap enough so I just bought multiples and modded a couple. =)

By the way, they're still on sale for $20 and change at Monoprice.

Anyone willing to try this out and give me feedback?

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #90 of 208
do u have a link to the ebay auction,,, im interested in getting new cable,,,  thnx

You don't need a fancy silver cable for these cheap cans. Just get one of the "Made for Mobile" cables on Monoprice, it's what I use for mine. Bonus is that they are cheap and if you are ordering a pair from Monoprice then it can be a part of that order.

6ft black http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=9765
6ft white http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=9297
10ft black http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=9766
10ft white http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=9298

Note: I don't work for Monoprice. I have and use about 12 of these cables. I've had one fail after a couple months (bad connection at connector) but Monoprice is shipping me another at no charge and I don't have to return the broken one. Effortless warranty service, I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back