mod: Monoporice 8323
Aug 22, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #46 of 208
Quote:
The ATH-M50s are definitely the better cans.  They are much better out of the box, more comfortable, better bass...pretty much everything asdfqwerty said.  BUT, they are $150+ depending on where you get them and which version you get compared to $30 shipped and maybe some other materials for mods.

yeah, i must admit.. MP 8323 lacks some punch when it comes to bass.. not as punchy as my XB500.. but i'm really satisfied with its thick mids (thicker than my srh440) ;D

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #47 of 208
I'll give the comfort nod to the M50, but I think I might actually prefer the sound from my modded 8323. 

I should get my hands on another set of M50s and try modding them too... 

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #49 of 208
Hah, let me know how that goes. I make no guarantees that my preferred sound signature meshes with other peoples' 
rolleyes.gif
. I'm not actually a fan of the M50 either, so there's that too. 

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #51 of 208
M50s are on sale on Amazon right now for $111 w/free shipping. Cheapest I've ever seen for those. I might have to pick up a pair.

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #53 of 208
Any chance of over stuffing causing the bass to be boomy?  It sounds less boomy with less cotton in it. But if I stuff it so much that there may be some pressure against the back of the driver it becomes boomy.

Pretty new to listening to specific things and seeing how different mods sound.  Just wondering if this is realistic.

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #54 of 208
Hard to say, though possible. My guess could be that all the stuffing has attenuated the highs making the bass seem more prominent.

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #55 of 208
Cool, thank you for the response. I have settled on a specific fill. Going to listen to that for a week or so then try something else and see what I notice. Thanks for all the great info you have wrote up about these.

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #56 of 208
I'm glad you've found it useful. Modding is really half about the adventure. Just messing around with things and hearing new things. 

Have you only been putting cotton in and nothing else? 

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #59 of 208
I'm gonna grab some mats to mod them soon, I really like how they sound already, but maybe bringing out the bass (either adding quantity or clarity, without sacrificing the other) would be nice, if that makes sense. Perhaps smoothing out the treble, bring it down a tiny bit.

What would be the specific suggestions from those who have been messing with these so far? I'm probably just going to try the tape mods to begin with, though I don't have anything except maybe cotton balls around :p

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #60 of 208
Wait a minute...what? Bring out the bass and reduce the treble on the 8323? Are you trying to kill the sound of them?
IMO they have way too much bass (maybe not sub-bass) as it is and not enough treble. When I modded these I actually tried to REDUCE the bass and to make them not so dark.
M50 pads do help a bit too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back