mod: Monoporice 8323
Sep 4, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #152 of 208
  You guys forgot to add the first step of removing the ear pads by just pulling them. Then you unscrew them

Sometimes I forget to add the basic steps as those should be intuitive.
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #153 of 208
i've actually seen a guy who fried his headphones because he had them plugged in and playing music when he opened them up...

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #154 of 208
Got a pair of these the other day to mess about with, the first time listened to them I noticed the bass was way too overpowering (for me) and drowned out a lot of the mids, highs echoed like they were underwater but I knew that would happen with empty cups (my HA-RX900's did the same thing).

I pulled apart both cups and cut 2 pieces of spare mousemat to cover ~70% of the inside cup wall, that got rid of the underwater highs but the bass was still boomy, I ended up pulling off 1 piece of the white tape above the speaker (top front), this seemed to do the trick.

To be honest they sound great now and I'm kind of annoyed as I wanted to mess about with them some more!

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #156 of 208
IMO modding these is almost fruitless. Using a FiiO Mont Blonc however is magic. They could actually could take more power and therefore more amplifier control. I recently heard Sure 440's, crap against these. I own Martin Logans with Vandersreen subs. The 8323's are far from perfect, it's like riding a REALLY great roller coaster. I'm addicted to these crazy things.

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #157 of 208
Thanks for posting this mod. I joined just to comment on this but I plan to stay. I used closed cell epe foam (like used in life jackets) against the back of the cup. Then a layer of mid weight fleece and then a bunch of cotton balls stretched into mats and shredded into filler. I also put duct tape over the vents. I did not fill the hinge holes. I am very happy with the result. Tighter less boomy bass. Nice mids and highs. The overall effect is to make it sound much less hollow. Thanks for the inspiration.

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #158 of 208
I'm glad you're having fun with it. Next step would probably be to get some better pads.

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #159 of 208
I am in China. If you know of some super cheap pads on Taobao, let me know.

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #160 of 208
Sorry, I don't know of any. I liked Shure 440/840 pads, but those are practically as expensive as the 8323 itself
rolleyes.gif

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #161 of 208
Take a look at this:  http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.44.lZIsnG&id=43171528748&ns=1&abbucket=9#detail

Velour for about $8.  

There are some cheaper pleather ones for around $5

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.34.cMKojS&id=23899044768&ns=1&abbucket=9#detail

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #162 of 208
Those look ok, but I have no experience with those exact pads so your guess is as good as mine.

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #163 of 208
If you were to choose one would you go with the cotton/velour fabric one or the pleather one?

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #164 of 208
Pleather for more bass, velour for now.

Personally I don't like the feel of velour, so I usually go with pleather or leather.

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #165 of 208
Hi,
I'm new, found the forum by searching for headphones, which lead to  InnerFidelity's "Wall of Fame" Full-Size Sealed, which lead to Monoprice 8323, which lead to Monoprice 8323 Mods (here).

Just ordered 4 sets for home studio.

I was reading thru the mod variations in the thread; closing cup vents to increase isolation reduces bass, closing driver vents to increase clarity reduces bass, etc,

Started thinking about the mods similarities to closed box speakers transient response vs vented speakers augmented bass.
In speaker boxes

Why is a speaker cabinet with a transmission line better than a cabinet with a simple port?
The definition of a "transmission line" differs depending on who you ask or what you read.  A simple port by some definitions is a type of transmission line.  But we distinguish our designs from simple ported designs because we don't just cut a hole in the cabinet and insert a straight plastic tube.

Instead, we build a channel in every cabinet that goes inside the cabinet and up at least a portion of the back wall with a length that is equal to a minimum 1/12 the desired wave length.  In same cases this transmission line wraps around inside the cabinet.  The difference is obvious in the improved bass performance (both depth and control) of our speakers.

I got an idea how about a transmission line mod for the 8323, a cup port that vents thru a 3/16" plastic tube filled with acoustic stuffing, using 1/12th wavelength the tube would be; 28 inches long for 40hz, 18.7 inches for 60hz  14 inches long for 80hz 

If you run the vent tube The cup to cup over headband distance is about 19 inches.

Any thoughts?

V/R CBS  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back