Mod list for Koss KSC 75?
Mar 5, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #2 of 25
Search is your friend!

1) Quarter Mod to the Pad = lets out more highs and mids, less muddled sound
2) Kramer Mod = UNLEASHES the treble, makes these things shine
3) Recable Mod (mini Star-Quad/ebay SPC seems to be the winners) = tightens up the sound, increase in overall clarity especially if you have a Koss cable with an in-line volume controller
4) 75 Ohm resistor mod (soldered in parallel) - tightens the bass so its less muddled/flabby

Think that about covers it. Overall, cheap upgrades that transform this into an amazing bang for the buck portable. (Quarter mod/Kramer mod free, recable ~10 bucks maybe (check navships SPC teflon on ebay), 75 ohm resistors can get it for cents @ Radio Shack or a few bucks for Allen Bradley types on ebay). Super easy to do, and if you mess up, you got Koss's No Questions Asked Warranty to cover you.

As long as you have a knife and soldering iron, your good. Very good to practice your DIY skills.

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 25
Yeah the main mod is the quarter mod and Kramer mod, both gives a decent boast to the sound quality. The headband mod gives the KSC75 more bass but eats up the air and makes the KSC75 very uncomfortable.

To be honest, the biggest boast is to get another headphone, cause with the RX700/RX900 the KSC75 can no longer claim to be the best bang/buck phone out there.

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 25
The jvc's looks like a real bargain. Only if you are from the US though. They're 99$ in audiocubes.com. Wouldn't call it bang for the buck..

As for the KSC75 mods. All mods listed here are just sound tweaks. If you really want to transform your KSC75 into something else, get the Sennheiser px200 pads for them. You'll drop your socks man. I vouch for it.

EDIT: looks something like this
imageupload7770291.jpg

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 25
The kramer mod opens them up wonderfully. They fit nicely into the HD414 pads as well and they make the sound less muffled.
Happy tinkerin'.
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 25
I really wouldn't pay 10$ for the HD414 when you can get the px200 pads for 13$ (or 6$ if you can order directly from Sennheiser).
Seriously the SQ difference is night and day (and I don't mean "head-fi night and day"). They yellow pads didn't do much for me.
And besides, the ksc75/portapro's are ugly as is. No need to make them 10 folds uglier with the huge ass yellow pads
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 25
Retail 2002

Theres the site for the PX200 pads.

Online Price

$7.69

May 4, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 25
Too continue my habit of bumping old threads and eventually going to head-fi hell -- has anyone tried the KSC75 in an ear defender, ala this mod: Headphone Hack! Make You Own Noise Eliminating Headset! - Video

I have a cheapish set of Motorola S805 headphones, which are C-cup, but they still let in too much noise on the busy London streets...

... but I suppose closing in the back of the KSC75s will negatively effect the sound? It may also become a bit echo-y?

May 5, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #11 of 25
Well, what you are describing is already being sold by Koss in the form of a UR40 headphone, which is essentially the KSC75 in a full size headphone design.

I'm sure its been done, I think Google has one somewhere.

The thing is though, they are a open back design. And the KSC75 is considered semi-open. I think if you want to place them in cups, make sure there's plenty of space so that the drivers have enough room to breathe.

Try this - wear your KSC-75s, then use your hands and cup the headphone. If the sound doesn't sound worse, then it should be OK.

May 6, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #12 of 25
I think the UR40 has flat-back drivers, like in a KSC55. The KSC75 has round-back drivers.

The flat-back sounds better (to me that is, of course).

The best mod for KSC75 is to leave them alone and just enjoy them. Spend the $ and time for something of higher potential, such as a low end Grado.

May 6, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 25
Koss KSC75 £15 - Grado SR60 £70-£80 ...

Don't get me wrong I want some! I just don't have that sorta dosh lying around, and grados are overpriced like a mother in the UK... pity...

May 6, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the UR40 has flat-back drivers, like in a KSC55. The KSC75 has round-back drivers.

The flat-back sounds better (to me that is, of course).

The best mod for KSC75 is to leave them alone and just enjoy them. Spend the $ and time for something of higher potential, such as a low end Grado.

That doesn't make much sense. Not to me atleast
regular_smile .gif
Why leave them alone if you can make them sound better for free/cheap? "Spend some more money..."- what kind of philosophy is that?
But yeah, money aside, modding is just fun. That's why people overclock their comps, mod their cars, women (j/king. we don't do it. they do it on their own), watches, whatever...

Besides, you're forgeting that the KSC75's are portable cans. That's the whole point. They're portable and sound good. Grado's may sound good but they aren't really portable. So how much more do you need to pay for a good sounding portable? And will you even like the sound sig if you find one? That's why peeps mod them.

May 7, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #15 of 25
Yeah, I also bought the KSC75s cause I'm new to modding, and wanted to try some stuff out on a cheaper set. Catch my impressions of the 'ear defender mod' on the 'kramer mod ksc75' thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back