Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
May 22, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #3,016 of 3,179
Hello everyone, been a while since I was on here! I decided to order a DS pair through Mimic because I love the colors. I know it will be a LONG wait and that's ok, but the amp pairing is bothering me. I will probably order a Topping A70 Pro but I do have a class A speaker amp laying around (Redgum RGi60). I have read that using a class D amp is a no-go otherwise I'd probably use a Fosi. Can anyone let me know if the class A amp would work? I'm very bad at figuring out pairings and don't want to fry these things on day 1. What other options would be good under 1500? I listen quite loud.
Flux Mentor for $1299 is an amazing Class A amp and will drive Tungz greatly.

May 23, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #3,017 of 3,179
Flux Mentor for $1299 is an amazing Class A amp and will drive Tungz greatly.
My Flux Mentor is awesome. Also note that if you're in the US, it's $1650 with the upgraded power cable, delivered. Shipping and PayPal fees are pricey from Ukraine.

May 23, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #3,019 of 3,179
Is one really enough to drive the DS version LOUD or do I have to get two of them? Any idea when they might be listing more? I've been out of the loop with audio for years, just enjoying what I had :)
One is enough, it puts out 11w, but, 2 is better (33w) hahaha. Still only have one myself and it's sufficient. The double stack is overkill but sounds wonderful with a more fullness to the sound.

May 23, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #3,021 of 3,179
Hi, my first post on this forum😃
I am considering to put in an order for the Tungstens and would really appreciate it if someone can answer if my Auris Ha-2SF amp will be able to drive them properly.
Welcome and well-done for planning your Christmas gift just in time. :wink:

May 23, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #3,022 of 3,179
I am considering to put in an order for the Tungstens and would really appreciate it if someone can answer if my Auris Ha-2SF amp will be able to drive them properly.
Maybe someone else can confirm thats tried one but i dont think it's powerful enough.

May 23, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #3,023 of 3,179
2W output is the bottom line of power needed for the Tungsten. So technically you should be fine, though there might be a risk it may sound a bit weak. However as a tube amp, selecting the right tubes may just fix that issue.

May 24, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #3,025 of 3,179
Somewhat depends on the level at which you listen as well as the input source feeding the amp.
If feeding directly from a DAC, does your DAC have variable output voltage, or is it the nominal 2V SE and 4V Balanced.

To put this in perspective DMS recently gave his opinions on the Tungsten and stated that while being hard to drive he enjoys using them with a DarkVoice
** NOTE: Using DMS as a datapoint, not a definitive statement about anything, YMMV :)

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #3,030 of 3,179

I hoped after his first failed review he would apologize and make and objective review. But I was wrong.

1. In his first review he stated that Arya was technically better headphone which was absolutely not true
2. Now in this second review he stated that hybrid pads were congested, bloomy and bloated - and that's not true neither
3. He stated that some adapters would fix that. Yes, they can do some improvements, but no adapters can fix a bad headphone as he was saying

I can't trust WaveTheory anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back