Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 22, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #2,583 of 2,870
From talks with Jeff at Wells Audio, his new V8 OTL doesn't drive them fully. He recommends the Milo or Headtrip.

Also, pretty sure those are my set of Tungsten's on the left in the picture posted. Should be here Tuesday.

I demo-ed that amp’s initial prototype with my Tungsten and it wasn’t a great fit.

It’s unlikely though for an OTL to be a good fit for any planar, and exceedingly unlikely for the Tungsten (the Glenn OTL being a truly rare exception).

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #2,589 of 2,870
Susvara isn't really a good Benchmark for subbass. If Tungsten doesn't even reach that it might not be for me :frowning2:
Susvara’s ability to do very low sub bass works really well. It’s the upper bass regions that can fall short without extra help. Before I just thought that the bass wasn’t what I want but after some time I began to understand its tuning.

An analogy would be sufficient here. With regular headphones, a person’s voice might boom a little in the bass region. It’s not natural but at the same time it’s pleasant, because good bass feels good. It’s like sugar I guess. But Susvara’s bass tuning is accurate in that you get a person’s natural voice. But the lack of boom might make you feel like something is missing. Or maybe it really works well.

Rap music for example can sound a bit dry with Susvaras but sometimes that sub bass will hit so hard that you can forgive the lack of bass in other areas but it’s good and clear.

Mar 24, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #2,590 of 2,870
Susvara’s ability to do very low sub bass works really well. It’s the upper bass regions that can fall short without extra help. Before I just thought that the bass wasn’t what I want but after some time I began to understand its tuning.

An analogy would be sufficient here. With regular headphones, a person’s voice might boom a little in the bass region. It’s not natural but at the same time it’s pleasant, because good bass feels good. It’s like sugar I guess. But Susvara’s bass tuning is accurate in that you get a person’s natural voice. But the lack of boom might make you feel like something is missing. Or maybe it really works well.

Rap music for example can sound a bit dry with Susvaras but sometimes that sub bass will hit so hard that you can forgive the lack of bass in other areas but it’s good and clear.
It may not be a Susvara problem but a source problem. I don’t have any of your issue with my Yggy GS2 to Flux Mentor setup. I get very detailed low sub bass and impactful mid bass.

You can clearly hear each rap words that comes out of the rapper’s mouth. I used to think it was part of the music for the words to blur a bit into a melody and rhythm so I had to look for printed Lyrics for most of the rap songs, but boy was I wrong after I got my current setup. You experience a different sensation when all the words are clearly separated and understandable.

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #2,591 of 2,870
Heard this combo with tungsten DS at a meet yesterday and wow, was absolutely phenomenal with tungsten, the synergy was incredible. @msq123

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #2,592 of 2,870
Hey lads, noob here as I’ve always been an IEM guy for outside use, listening to music on my LS50 wireless II for home entertainment.

However, a new GF came to live with me and she doesn’t like music (I know, an option would be to change the GF but that’s another topic) so I’ve decided to go the headphone path and after many hours watching reviews, I have settled down on the Tungsten DS as neutral/warmth sound is what I prefer and its value seems unbeatable.
I’m aware the wait will be quite long but it will actually let me save money for the amp so it’s not that an issue for me.

Speaking of amp, I’m quite lost when reading the spec and so on…
So far I only have a topping dx5 as dac/hp amp and I plan to use it only for the dac part and buy a HP amp that would drive the Tungsten, probably not perfectly when I see pictures and prices of amps shown in this thread but it will leave me room for improvement in the future.

So my questions are if is using the dx5 as dac only make sense and is it suitable? Secondly, what amp would you advice with a limited budget (around 1000 to 1500€, the less the better)? I like tube amp sound a lot but I’m guessing it’s out of my budget for now.

Many thanks in advance to the gentle heart who will take the time to answer.

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #2,593 of 2,870
Hey lads, noob here as I’ve always been an IEM guy for outside use, listening to music on my LS50 wireless II for home entertainment.

However, a new GF came to live with me and she doesn’t like music (I know, an option would be to change the GF but that’s another topic) so I’ve decided to go the headphone path and after many hours watching reviews, I have settled down on the Tungsten DS as neutral/warmth sound is what I prefer and its value seems unbeatable.
I’m aware the wait will be quite long but it will actually let me save money for the amp so it’s not that an issue for me.

So far I only have a topping dx5 as dac/hp amp and I plan to use it only for the dac part and buy a HP amp that would drive the Tungsten, probably not perfectly when I see pictures and prices of amps shown in this thread but it will leave me room for improvement in the future.

So my questions are if is using the dx5 as dac only make sense and is it suitable? Secondly, what amp would you advice with a limited budget (around 1000 to 1500€, the less the better)? I like tube amp sound a lot but I’m guessing it’s out of my budget for now.

You could place your order for the Tungsten now and maybe try to see if you can find another GF in the 4/5 months it'll take for the headphones to get there?

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #2,594 of 2,870

Well from what I found out the topping A70 will be just fine to drive them and is half your budget (which is also the amp I bought for mine when they finally arrive…).
Some will probably Disagree with me and tell you that you need a 5k amp for your 2k headphones to make them work but I strongly believe that your dx5 and a A70 pro will do just fine.
If you still want some tubey sound you can get the dac for the A70, the D70 pro sabre which has a „tube mode“. Basically just simulates the distortion tubes do

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #2,595 of 2,870
However, a new GF came to live with me and she doesn’t like music
Just as an FYI, the Tungsten is an open back headphone. Meaning that she will hear sound leakage when you are listening to music. If you don't want any sound leakage then you might want to consider a closed back headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back