Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #2,611 of 2,882
It is a bit off topic, but kind of 'refreshing' in the ocean of delay complaints. These rare conditions are crazy. First time I hear some people are unable to appreciate music. And they never know what they are missing. I read this article recently about another rare condition; people who see all faces in distortion.
I will resist the temptation to assign those people the same conclusion @Erick Muller arrived at for cats, but, it'd explain it lolol.

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #2,612 of 2,882
I will resist the temptation to assign those people the same conclusion @Erick Muller arrived at for cats, but, it'd explain it lolol.
I would be willing to assign that if the people that can't appreciate music also suffer from afantasia and lack an internal forum, then we can truly say they lack a soul.

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #2,613 of 2,882
My set of single-sided have arrived. Not much of a glamor shot, but very pleased with how everything came out. For those who ordered the perforated pads, I suppose you need to request the added bass port? Thought maybe that was the standard now, but apparently not.

Will update with impressions most likely after the weekend, as I'm currently shifting around my desktop set up and need time for burn in. Will be testing on the Rag 2, HA-3A, Mjolnir 3 and Jot 2 through the Yggy MIB.

1000001601.jpg
Did you request the sleeving for the cable or is that just the new standard?

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #2,614 of 2,882
Did you request the sleeving for the cable or is that just the new standard?

No, mine is a custom sleeved cable. Personally didn't like the stock copper with the color scheme I was going for. Most of my gear and desktop peripherals is a combination of gray, silver and black. Was going to upgrade to Skedra's silver plated, but got laid off when in discussions with him months back. This is definitely a bit stiffer, but not enough to bother me and very well made.

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #2,615 of 2,882
I'm somewhat allergic to nuts, specifically hazelnuts and extremely allergic to bananas. It's not the end of the world.

Tho not being able to enjoy or appreciate music, that's indeed really rough and through no fault of your own.
Oh noes, how horrible. Bananas and hazelnuts are my fav. Ask your doctor for monthly Xolair injections and have it with a banana sundae.

Mar 26, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #2,616 of 2,882
what amp would you advise with a limited budget (around 1000 to 1500€, the less the better)? I like tube amp sound a lot but I’m guessing it’s out of my budget for now.

At this budget, you have a few great options for the Tungsten if you’re ok buying a used amp on the classifieds here (which I’ve done often and works very well and gets bang for the buck!). The following all come up once in a few weeks and can be purchased without difficulty with a bit of patience and decisiveness:

(1) Violectric V281 - the warmest on of these 3, it is the most “tube-like sounding” SS amp on this short list. Super powerful, great synergy with the Tungsten, and relatively small form factor for desktop use.
(2) Ferrum Oor - super fun and dynamic amp that is very engaging. Very small form factor with a bit bite.
(3) Well Milo - quirky vertical design, this amp is raw power delivered raw. It’s very enjoyable and has a loyal fan bass (as do each of these).

I’ve tried all of them and they liked them all.

I’d recommend forgetting about the DAC for now. If the Tungsten is your path, focus first on ordering it as others recommended, the patiently hunt the amp. When you have the system, if you like it, you can then take your time to upgrade your DAC.

Good luck!

Mar 26, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #2,617 of 2,882
However, a new GF came to live with me and she doesn’t like music (I know, an option would be to change the GF but that’s another topic) so I’ve decided to go the headphone path and after many hours watching reviews, I have settled down on the Tungsten DS as neutral/warmth sound is what I prefer and its value seems unbeatable.
Can relate to your situation as it's similar to how I got more into head-fi as once I moved in with my gf discovered she generally prefers silence after working all day running a music study teaching classical piano.

As open backs go, Tungstens are very open and have more sound leakage than something like an Atrium so hopefully that won't bother the gf too much.

Mar 26, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #2,619 of 2,882
Can relate to your situation as it's similar to how I got more into head-fi as once I moved in with my gf discovered she generally prefers silence after working all day running a music study teaching classical piano.

As open backs go, Tungstens are very open and have more sound leakage than something like an Atrium so hopefully that won't bother the gf too much.
Working with music all day, every day, I guess some silence makes sense.

Mar 26, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #2,620 of 2,882
Oh noes, how horrible. Bananas and hazelnuts are my fav. Ask your doctor for monthly Xolair injections and have it with a banana sundae.
totally would ruin my favorite smoothies for sure

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #2,621 of 2,882
Thx, I will look into that.

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #2,622 of 2,882
At this budget, you have a few great options for the Tungsten if you’re ok buying a used amp on the classifieds here (which I’ve done often and works very well and gets bang for the buck!). The following all come up once in a few weeks and can be purchased without difficulty with a bit of patience and decisiveness:

(1) Violectric V281 - the warmest on of these 3, it is the most “tube-like sounding” SS amp on this short list. Super powerful, great synergy with the Tungsten, and relatively small form factor for desktop use.
(2) Ferrum Oor - super fun and dynamic amp that is very engaging. Very small form factor with a bit bite.
(3) Well Milo - quirky vertical design, this amp is raw power delivered raw. It’s very enjoyable and has a loyal fan bass (as do each of these).

I’ve tried all of them and they liked them all.

I’d recommend forgetting about the DAC for now. If the Tungsten is your path, focus first on ordering it as others recommended, the patiently hunt the amp. When you have the system, if you like it, you can then take your time to upgrade your DAC.

Good luck!
Excellent advice.

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #2,623 of 2,882
totally would ruin my favorite smoothies for sure
I used to enjoy bananas when I was a child, bet then suddenly I became really allergic to them, it's not life threatening or anything like that, but it's extremely uncomfortable and unpleasant to be sure.

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #2,624 of 2,882
Mar 27, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #2,625 of 2,882

Users who are viewing this thread

Back