Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 28, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #2,641 of 2,880
i believe it is around a thousand dollars more expensive in the usa according to his review, which i regard as significant. the price difference is around two and a half thousand dollars in my part of the world.
About 2.5k in your part of the World?
Crazy.

Well as we can see, very Region dependent

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #2,642 of 2,880
About 2.5k in your part of the World?
Crazy.

Well as we can see, very Region dependent
crazy, perhaps. i'd call it significant.

well a price difference of 500 euros may be considered significant by some folks - even in your region.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #2,644 of 2,880

SPOILER ALERT: YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!!

So yes, basically this review has confirmed my suspicion that for both the Tungsten SS and DS, the HIFIMAN offerings at those respective price points are overall better or at the very least very competitive vs ModHouse Tungsten, and just because of the amping requirements for it alone, I think I'm going for an Arya Organic instead and not worry about this headphone anymore and I already bought an LCD-X which is significantly less demanding amp wise and it will not require for me to run it at it's fullest to get a speaker amp or another headphone amp that will go into the thousands of dollars to get the most out of it or to at least run them properly compare to the Tungsten and also I can get to play with EQ and HQP upsampling without any fear of running into headroom issues or that kind of stuff, but that's more specific to my use case and I know it's not going to be a problem for many people in this hobby.

That being said, I still think the Tungsten are an excellent and outstanding headphone, specially for being Ryan's first try at a brand new headphone, I hope Ryan comes with a new version of these that are less demanding in their amp requirements in the near future at a similar price point and I think he's going to be able to dominate in this sector of this very niche market.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #2,645 of 2,880

So yes, basically this review has confirmed my suspicion that for both the Tungsten SS and DS, the HIFIMAN offerings at those respective price points are overall better or at the very least very competitive vs ModHouse Tungsten, and just because of the amping requirements for it alone, I think I'm going for an Arya Organic instead and not worry about this headphone anymore and I already bought an LCD-X which is significantly less demanding amp wise and it will not require for me to run it at it's fullest to get a speaker amp or another headphone amp that will go into the thousands of dollars to get the most out of it or to at least run them properly compare to the Tungsten and also I can get to play with EQ and HQP upsampling without any fear of running into headroom issues or that kind of stuff, but that's more specific to my use case and I know it's not going to be a problem for many people in this hobby.

That being said, I still think the Tungsten are an excellent and outstanding headphone, specially for being Ryan's first try at a brand new headphone, I hope Ryan comes with a new version of these that are less demanding in their amp requirements in the near future at a similar price point and I think he's going to be able to dominate in this sector of this very niche market.
That's a lot of conclusions without actually having auditioned the Tungstens.

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #2,646 of 2,880
I wouldn't say significantly, in europe the difference is 500€. Less even if you choose a custom color or both pad options.
In the US a SS Tung is HALF the price of a Empy2.
Meze is definitely a better value in Europe.

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #2,647 of 2,880

If you are going for Hifiman why the Arya Organic over the HE1000 Stealth?
Seemed like a no-brainer to me and I certainly have never regretted it.

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #2,648 of 2,880
That's a lot of conclusions without actually having auditioned the Tungstens.
Granted, but counter-points:

Impossible in my situation to audition a pair and, I was extrapolating given the comments and conclusions by WaveTheory.

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #2,649 of 2,880
If you are going for Hifiman why the Arya Organic over the HE1000 Stealth?
Seemed like a no-brainer to me and I certainly have never regretted it.
Honestly, the looks, and I can always EQ to get the most out of the organics.

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #2,650 of 2,880
(Review already posted)

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #2,651 of 2,880
Honestly, the looks, and I can always EQ to get the most out of the organics.
Fair, i like the woodgrain better on Arya, but, i do prefer the silver to the black so for me looks fell on the HeK side. This pricing is a STEAL though-

image_2024-03-28_164346974.png

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #2,652 of 2,880

It is well known, that he is a big fan of oval HiFiMan sound (which I find a bit weightless and bright) and Focal (which I also find bright with some sub-bass roll off). His personal taste plays a role in his evaluation (as it does with all reviewers to some extent).
That aside, the way he is positioning the two Tungstens on the current market probably sounds more realistic than what the initial hype suggested.
Taste plays the biggest role when we choose $2K+ headphones. The Tungstens seem to follow the footsteps of ZMF and Meze in a sense that they have a smoother and more euphonic tuning as opposed to chasing ultimate technical levels. Perhaps the DS is the most neutral of this tuning philosophy so far.
I do like WaveTheory, very much indeed, his explanation of the fawning over the A90D was brilliant

However I do get the feeling, of how he rewiews stuff, he definitely has his sound that he likes and quite often if they don't match it is vocal about that, without always considering the viewer will have a different preferred sound. This is going to sound harsher than I mean, but I get the feeling of Grado about him, in that, "This is the way".

I will counter that by it's actually nice to get less hyped review just to tame expectations, and AFAIK his amp pairing is by far the most varied on any review.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #2,653 of 2,880
I do like WaveTheory, very much indeed, his explanation of the fawning over the A90D was brilliant

However I do get the feeling, of how he rewiews stuff, he definitely has his sound that he likes and quite often if they don't match it is vocal about that, without always considering the viewer will have a different preferred sound. This is going to sound harsher than I mean, but I get the feeling of Grado about him, in that, "This is the way".

I will counter that by it's actually nice to get less hyped review just to tame expectations, and AFAIK his amp pairing is by far the most varied on any review.
Not sure where your getting Grado vibes from Wavetheory as states in his videos that he loves the HEKSE and Susvara

Users who are viewing this thread

Back