Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 26, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #2,596 of 2,884
You could place your order for the Tungsten now and maybe try to see if you can find another GF in the 4/5 months it'll take for the headphones to get there?
She "doesn't like music"? What does she hate dogs too?
Yikes.

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #2,597 of 2,884
Mar 26, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #2,598 of 2,884
Hey lads, noob here as I’ve always been an IEM guy for outside use, listening to music on my LS50 wireless II for home entertainment.

However, a new GF came to live with me and she doesn’t like music (I know, an option would be to change the GF but that’s another topic) so I’ve decided to go the headphone path and after many hours watching reviews, I have settled down on the Tungsten DS as neutral/warmth sound is what I prefer and its value seems unbeatable.
I’m aware the wait will be quite long but it will actually let me save money for the amp so it’s not that an issue for me.

Speaking of amp, I’m quite lost when reading the spec and so on…
So far I only have a topping dx5 as dac/hp amp and I plan to use it only for the dac part and buy a HP amp that would drive the Tungsten, probably not perfectly when I see pictures and prices of amps shown in this thread but it will leave me room for improvement in the future.

So my questions are if is using the dx5 as dac only make sense and is it suitable? Secondly, what amp would you advice with a limited budget (around 1000 to 1500€, the less the better)? I like tube amp sound a lot but I’m guessing it’s out of my budget for now.

Many thanks in advance to the gentle heart who will take the time to answer.
In America, if we heard "she doesn't like music" she'd have to go! But we are a replacement society.

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #2,599 of 2,884
Mar 26, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #2,600 of 2,884
Hey lads, noob here as I’ve always been an IEM guy for outside use, listening to music on my LS50 wireless II for home entertainment.

However, a new GF came to live with me and she doesn’t like music (I know, an option would be to change the GF but that’s another topic) so I’ve decided to go the headphone path and after many hours watching reviews, I have settled down on the Tungsten DS as neutral/warmth sound is what I prefer and its value seems unbeatable.
I’m aware the wait will be quite long but it will actually let me save money for the amp so it’s not that an issue for me.

Speaking of amp, I’m quite lost when reading the spec and so on…
So far I only have a topping dx5 as dac/hp amp and I plan to use it only for the dac part and buy a HP amp that would drive the Tungsten, probably not perfectly when I see pictures and prices of amps shown in this thread but it will leave me room for improvement in the future.

So my questions are if is using the dx5 as dac only make sense and is it suitable? Secondly, what amp would you advice with a limited budget (around 1000 to 1500€, the less the better)? I like tube amp sound a lot but I’m guessing it’s out of my budget for now.

Many thanks in advance to the gentle heart who will take the time to answer.
She might like music, just not the type you listen to. Just ask her what she enjoys and have her listen to the Tungsten.

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #2,601 of 2,884
Mar 26, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #2,602 of 2,884
There’s an actual condition where you can’t appreciate music, I had a roommate in college who had it, he didn’t enjoy it at all, he only listened to it because other people did. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_anhedonia
I pitied him more than anything, almost like people who have the gene where cilantro tastes like soap, except worse lol.

Tungstens are very open headphones so she’ll be able to hear what you are listening to if you are in the same room. If you think they that will be a problem, I’d suggest closed backs, like the Dan clark E3.

Mar 26, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #2,603 of 2,884
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #2,604 of 2,884
My set of single-sided have arrived. Not much of a glamor shot, but very pleased with how everything came out.

Will update with impressions most likely after the weekend, as I'm currently shifting around my desktop set up and need time for burn in. Will be testing on the Rag 2, HA-3A, Mjolnir 3 and Jot 2 through the Yggy MIB.

1000001601.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #2,605 of 2,884
My set of single-sided have arrived. Not much of a glamor shot, but very pleased with how everything came out. For those who ordered the perforated pads, I suppose you need to request the added bass port? Thought maybe that was the standard now, but apparently not.

Will update with impressions most likely after the weekend, as I'm currently shifting around my desktop set up and need time for burn in. Will be testing on the Rag 2, HA-3A, Mjolnir 3 and Jot 2 through the Yggy MIB.

1000001601.jpg
Please elaborate about the bassport. Haven't read about that yet

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #2,606 of 2,884
Well from what I found out the topping A70 will be just fine to drive them and is half your budget (which is also the amp I bought for mine when they finally arrive…).
Some will probably Disagree with me and tell you that you need a 5k amp for your 2k headphones to make them work but I strongly believe that your dx5 and a A70 pro will do just fine.
If you still want some tubey sound you can get the dac for the A70, the D70 pro sabre which has a „tube mode“. Basically just simulates the distortion tubes do
Thank you for the suggestion, I might even sell the dx5 for the D70 pro to have a nice stack on my desk, although I wouldn't mind spending a little more, especially when I have 5 months to save.
GF only listens to classical music while working, apart from that she prefers the apartment to be "silent" but an open-back HF would be still acceptable.
I know this is not a good match on this matter but being 40+, I can't afford to be picky anymore :wink:

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #2,607 of 2,884
Please elaborate about the bassport. Haven't read about that yet
Apparently over in the private Modhouse Telegram chat or Discord, there's a popular mod going on where you modify the perf pads with a bass port at the bottom. Some others have gotten it that way from Ryan I read somewhere, but maybe it was requested. I'm not in those channels, so can't confirm anything myself nor give any real specific details outside of hearsay.

**Edited w/ info from Ryan:

"1. I have started using new pad adapters that have lines on them that line up with the magnets instead of a hex pattern. This ensures nothing is obstructing the diaphragm (likely not an issue though), and also provides a stronger grip between the adapter and magnets without adding any weight. I use these now for all units unless there are extenuating circumstances or requests.
2. An air gap can be created to give a bass boost similar to abyss, but not as extreme. This is done by taking the pads off, and rotating them a little bit, and putting back on…but not engaging fully. This creates a gap between the adapter and baffle and opens up air for the vents at the bottom of the cups.
3. Some users reported issues relating to pressure build up with the hybrid pads (because they are sealed), so I made some new vented adapters to act as inserts between the hybrid pads and the baffles. However, I only send these out when folks are having issues. It’s just extra weight and cost otherwise.
4. I recently created some vinyl gaskets to go between the pad adapter and baffle. This provides a better seal for perf pads OR a vented version for hybrid pads so that pressure can equalize and not build up slowly, but the vent is so small that it doesn’t hurt bass performance. Personally I am thinking of making the vented gasket standard for hybrid pads, but not the other for perf pads, because in my tests it provided very little benefit, but I haven’t gotten a chance to get feedback from others yet."

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #2,608 of 2,884
There’s an actual condition where you can’t appreciate music, I had a roommate in college who had it, he didn’t enjoy it at all, he only listened to it because other people did. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_anhedonia
I pitied him more than anything, almost like people who have the gene where cilantro tastes like soap, except worse lol.

Tungstens are very open headphones so she’ll be able to hear what you are listening to if you are in the same room. If you think they that will be a problem, I’d suggest closed backs, like the Dan clark E3.
Some people are allergic to stuff like chocolate, cannabis, strawberries, hell even sugar. Horrible lot in life and one can only have empathy for the afflicted and gratitude that it isnt them.

That said those poor folks should still allow the rest of us to enjoy our music while ingesting cannabis chocolates though.

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #2,609 of 2,884
Some people are allergic to stuff like chocolate, cannabis, strawberries, hell even sugar. Horrible lot in life and one can only have empathy for the afflicted and gratitude that it isnt them.

That said those poor folks should still allow the rest of us to enjoy our music while ingesting cannabis chocolates though.
It is a bit off topic, but kind of 'refreshing' in the ocean of delay complaints. These rare conditions are crazy. First time I hear some people are unable to appreciate music. And they never know what they are missing. I read this article recently about another rare condition; people who see all faces in distortion.

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #2,610 of 2,884

I'm somewhat allergic to nuts, specifically hazelnuts and extremely allergic to bananas. It's not the end of the world.

Tho not being able to enjoy or appreciate music, that's indeed really rough and through no fault of your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back