Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 26, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #1,397 of 2,978
Grats to those who got in on this last purchase. I just tried (took me literally just a hair under 60 seconds) and it was already sold out. This literally sold out in under a minute. I had everything ready for copy/paste etc. and still wasn't fast enough. I guess I'm just going to let this one go since it seems impossible to buy (unless you're some kind of purchasing sniper). Again.. grats to those who are able to hear this thing. Grats to Ryan for getting lucky to have such a purchasing frenzy; I hope this means good things for you business. Maybe I'll get to try one of your products a couple years down the road after you've been able to increase production capacity (and probably prices too).
Or more likely market demand has been meet to a greater degree, I'm still saving up to buy this headphones so I'm not so worry about buying them right now, tbh I think that most if not all of this year it's going to be kind of difficult to get a pair of this headphones given the crazy demand they have, so Ryan is going to be busy for a really long time.

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #1,398 of 2,978
From my research etc. I think the HPA V281 is the model I'm shooting for. The sound characteristics are more in line to what I'm looking for and what I enjoy. The v550 is amazing, I'm sure but I prefer a warmer tilting sound with emphasis to bass whenever possible. The fact that it's described to have a tube-like sound is a selling point for me.
Pretty much my thoughts/upgrade path as well. Waiting on my v281LE to hopefully ship in the next week. Tho I suspect I have another 10 weeks before the Tungsten arrive 🥲

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #1,399 of 2,978
There really needs to be a better way to handle selling this thing... bringing back real bad memories of buying a video card two years ago
Yeah but that was mostly Nvidia being greedy bastards and increasing their prices and deliberately choking up supply of their cards because of muh crypto craze and now the AI craze, ModHouse doesn't have that kind of power, in fact it is him going full steam ahead trying to keep up with demand but demand being so crazy high that he's having trouble meeting it.

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #1,400 of 2,978
I agree. Submitting all payment info etc. in 55 seconds flat and being told "unit no longer available" leaves a sense of disappointment and hopelessness that is difficult to describe. Time to move on and just enjoy my stable. Going to try not think about this thing... Hey on the bright side.. just saved me allot of money. Now I don't need to buy that HPA V281 that I was going to get since I don't think I'll ever be fast enough to buy one of these.
It also sucks that, at least for me, the site wasn't responding to anything for like a minute after 11am EST. So by the time I was even at the cart checkout it was probably sold out.

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #1,401 of 2,978
It also sucks that, at least for me, the site wasn't responding to anything for like a minute after 11am EST. So by the time I was even at the cart checkout it was probably sold out.
Unless you can perfectly begin your purchase exactly at 11am (I actually didn't see it available until maybe 11:00:10 or so), and have it completed in 30-40 seconds, don't get your hopes up too much. That's my advice from what I just observed. This is also why I think I'm out. Trying to buy this is going to stress me out too much and leave me feeling depressed not excited about the product. Heck, to be honest I already feel that way now.

BTW - Looks like the bi-weekly buy attempt is now a monthly buy attempt. Next one is Feb 23rd.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #1,402 of 2,978
Yeah but that was mostly Nvidia being greedy bastards and increasing their prices and deliberately choking up supply of their cards because of muh crypto craze and now the AI craze, ModHouse doesn't have that kind of power, in fact it is him going full steam ahead trying to keep up with demand but demand being so crazy high that he's having trouble meeting it.
Of course I don't mean that Modhouse is acting like greedy Nvidia - it's just very disappointing dealing with this kind of subpar online sales setup once again. There has to be a better way even for such a small unit production and company. It's 2024, why are we still doing these kinds of timed monthly drops of a very low unknown quantity in a method that guarantees hyper competition and disappointment for the majority? Might as well just take deposits and do a lottery for each batch, at least that'd feel more fair in terms of your chances.

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #1,403 of 2,978
Of course I don't mean that Modhouse is acting like greedy Nvidia - it's just very disappointing dealing with this kind of subpar online sales setup once again. There has to be a better way even for such a small unit production and company. It's 2024, why are we still doing these kinds of timed monthly drops of a very low unknown quantity in a method that guarantees hyper competition and disappointment for the majority? Might as well just take deposits and do a lottery for each batch, at least that'd feel more fair in terms of your chances.
Given the demand for this headphone, I don't think there exists a way for what basically is a one man operation that's ModHouse to make everyone happy, this again is a small shop operation, making what is in essence a boutique headphone that's getting inundated with a number of orders that you might expect for a bigger and more establish brand like Audeze tbh.

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #1,404 of 2,978
Given the demand for this headphone, I don't think there exists a way for what basically is a one man operation that's ModHouse to make everyone happy, this again is a small shop operation, making what is in essence a boutique headphone that's getting inundated with a number of orders that you might expect for a bigger and more establish brand like Audeze tbh.
As I keep saying, the way they are handling that tsunami of potential orders is subpar. There are many ways that are exponentially better than fighting for scraps once a month - this is the kind of thing people can easily write bots for, just like the gpu situation back then. Can a one man operation using Squarespace as the sales backend handle that?

As a potential customer (I'm trying to buy your $1500+ headphone, please take my money) I am having a terrible time and don't foresee ever getting this product unless they start mass producing it unfortunately. Nobody said Modhouse needs to make everyone happy - but they are definitely making many the opposite.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #1,405 of 2,978
As I keep saying, the way they are handling that tsunami of potential orders is subpar. There are many ways that are exponentially better than fighting for scraps once a month - this is the kind of thing people can easily write bots for, just like the gpu situation back then. Can a one man operation using Squarespace as the sales backend handle that?

As a potential customer (I'm trying to buy your $1500+ headphone, please take my money) I am having a terrible time and don't foresee ever getting this product unless they start mass producing it unfortunately. Nobody said Modhouse needs to make everyone happy - but they are definitely making many the opposite.
I 100% agree with this statement. I also would not be surprised to see these headphones appear on the 2nd hand market at insane markups. Just wait and see.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #1,406 of 2,978
Unless I heard wrong, isn’t Ryan only taking 5-7 actual orders when he opens each time? So between the folks on here and elsewhere, you’ve got probably 3-4x that vying for them in that short window of taking orders. It is unfortunate but as a consumer we can understandably be frustrated but as a business I don’t think there’s a high enough demand to ramp up production yet as Mod House is not a (no pun intended) household name.

Either way, it seems the few that have them in hand have exclaimed the wait was worth it, given the nature of this game, hang in there and keep trying.
There’s always Mimic’s version to get in line with as well. I suspect you could order different colored parts later if the color scheme isn’t to your liking.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #1,407 of 2,978
I was one of the lucky few that got in on today’s order list with my dual-sided version with custom color. I’m sorry that you guys didn’t get in; I totally feel you. I missed last order window earlier this month by 1 minute.

If it’s about 12 weeks out, I’m hoping I’ll get them right around my birthday!

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #1,408 of 2,978
You have to have some perspective here. Would you rather get an order in today along with 100 (or more!?) others and then wait 6-10 months for your headphone? It is much better to have impatient potential customers than impatient paid customers. He is taking orders at a rate that allows him to manufacture and deliver in a reasonable amount of time. I am sure he would love to be able to accept more orders but until the business ramps it is what it is.

Ryan is only guilty of making an amazing headphone, not the hype that has caused the mismatch of supply and demand. The most important part is he has made a headphone that is not just a great value but an amazing listen regardless of price. Everything is going to work itself out as he scales his business and production I am sure of that. Just give Ryan some slack during what is probably a pretty stressful stretch on his end. The headphone is worth the wait. I promise!

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #1,409 of 2,978
What perspective is there to have? Modhouse is selling a highly sought after product in a method that is akin to musical chairs, but there's 100 people vying for 1 chair.

I for one am not trying again until they are actually available for purchase. Congrats to all who got in though!

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #1,410 of 2,978
What perspective is there to have? Modhouse is selling a highly sought after product in a method that is akin to musical chairs, but there's 100 people vying for 1 chair.

I for one am not trying again until they are actually available for purchase. Congrats to all who got in though!
The hype will eventually die and these will be available, you just have to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back