Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 25, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #1,381 of 2,978
Really considering the Tungsten, right now I run my regular headphones of the RME ADI 2/4 Pro SE, the one with 4.4 pentaconn connector and other minor changes.

Really loving it especially after the remote software came out and hardware EQ and settings are now so easy to set up and change on the fly :)

It is quoted at:
3.4 Watts balanced at 32 Ohms, per channel.

Would this mean it is close to 7watt(6.8watt) at 32ohm if looking at the headphone wattage calculator and what to expect in terms of listening volume what can be achieved, or comparing to running non balanced in terms of power?

Just with some quick maths, converting impedance and power and looking on the calculator charts in both cases such as the HE6 and the Tungsten it gets me to around 93dB max volume but not sure if this is the right way to do it :p

I have tried to drive the LCD4(relatively easy) and the OG HE6(close to maxed out with EQ and bassboost) on it.

Loving these headphones, something inbetween these two are my dream Planar and the Tungsten seems close according to what I have read.

I am not afraid to play around with eq and such, not always saying its needed, the Tungsten(DS magnet version) seems neutral and might not need much adjusting in terms of EQ.

I also have the Perun Rock V2 and run it without EQ, sometimes a small bassboost only depending on genre more like EDM and HipHop.

TLDR: Tungsten on RME ADI 2/4 Pro SE, yay or nay ? :)
No, it just means each channel receives a steady 3.4W power stream. You do not "double" them like it may sound. This doesn't necessarily mean the amp wouldn't do well though... you would need to know what it is capable of putting out at about 150 ohms of impedance, not 32 ohms.

Jan 25, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #1,383 of 2,978
Weird question- Anyone here have a chance to try the Tungsten with Violetric V281 vs the V550 model? I'm considering possibly trying the V550 instead of the V281.. if anyone has any thoughts they'd like to share, I'd most appreciate it! It seems like the two units are not far off power-wise from one another...
Make sure to also check out the V550 thread here on Headfi. Some owners are reporting problems with the volume control on some models.

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #1,384 of 2,978
Make sure to also check out the V550 thread here on Headfi. Some owners are reporting problems with the volume control on some models.
From my research etc. I think the HPA V281 is the model I'm shooting for. The sound characteristics are more in line to what I'm looking for and what I enjoy. The v550 is amazing, I'm sure but I prefer a warmer tilting sound with emphasis to bass whenever possible. The fact that it's described to have a tube-like sound is a selling point for me.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #1,385 of 2,978
Really considering the Tungsten, right now I run my regular headphones of the RME ADI 2/4 Pro SE, the one with 4.4 pentaconn connector and other minor changes.

Really loving it especially after the remote software came out and hardware EQ and settings are now so easy to set up and change on the fly :)

It is quoted at:
3.4 Watts balanced at 32 Ohms, per channel.

Would this mean it is close to 7watt(6.8watt) at 32ohm if looking at the headphone wattage calculator and what to expect in terms of listening volume what can be achieved, or comparing to running non balanced in terms of power?

Just with some quick maths, converting impedance and power and looking on the calculator charts in both cases such as the HE6 and the Tungsten it gets me to around 93dB max volume but not sure if this is the right way to do it :p

I have tried to drive the LCD4(relatively easy) and the OG HE6(close to maxed out with EQ and bassboost) on it.

Loving these headphones, something inbetween these two are my dream Planar and the Tungsten seems close according to what I have read.

I am not afraid to play around with eq and such, not always saying its needed, the Tungsten(DS magnet version) seems neutral and might not need much adjusting in terms of EQ.

I also have the Perun Rock V2 and run it without EQ, sometimes a small bassboost only depending on genre more like EDM and HipHop.

TLDR: Tungsten on RME ADI 2/4 Pro SE, yay or nay ? :)
I'm finding no problems running the Tungsten DS on an RME ADI 2/4 Pro SE. In fact at my normal listening volume, the unit doesn't even move out of IEM mode. I also had an opportunity to compare running it out of the v281 as well as the Ferrum OOR. At the volumes I listen at, I really couldn't pick out any meaningful differences between the 2/4 and the ORR being fed with the RME. However, if I listened at louder volumes (beyond what I could listen to without my tinnitus acting up) the OOR definitely sounded more open and effortless and could easily push the Tungsten further with more authority. I felt the same about the v281, though that I could only compare at a show and can't recall what the source was (may have just been my phone now that I think of it).

Best thing to do is give it a shot. Ultimately it comes down to your preferred listening levels.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #1,386 of 2,978
I'm finding no problems running the Tungsten DS on an RME ADI 2/4 Pro SE. In fact at my normal listening volume, the unit doesn't even move out of IEM mode. I also had an opportunity to compare running it out of the v281 as well as the Ferrum OOR. At the volumes I listen at, I really couldn't pick out any meaningful differences between the 2/4 and the ORR being fed with the RME. However, if I listened at louder volumes (beyond what I could listen to without my tinnitus acting up) the OOR definitely sounded more open and effortless and could easily push the Tungsten further with more authority. I felt the same about the v281, though that I could only compare at a show and can't recall what the source was (may have just been my phone now that I think of it).

Best thing to do is give it a shot. Ultimately it comes down to your preferred listening levels.
Thank you!

So hard to try to make an educated guess about power needed, been reading manuals and calculating and trying to figure out what to expect :)

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #1,387 of 2,978
Thank you!

So hard to try to make an educated guess about power needed, been reading manuals and calculating and trying to figure out what to expect :)
No problem. However, I think I might be on the lower listening level side of the spectrum. While I was at that show testing the v281 with my Tungsten, I could hear the music of the person sitting next to me over my own music, so YMMV.

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #1,390 of 2,978
Grats to those who got in on this last purchase. I just tried (took me literally just a hair under 60 seconds) and it was already sold out. This literally sold out in under a minute. I had everything ready for copy/paste etc. and still wasn't fast enough. I guess I'm just going to let this one go since it seems impossible to buy (unless you're some kind of purchasing sniper). Again.. grats to those who are able to hear this thing. Grats to Ryan for getting lucky to have such a purchasing frenzy; I hope this means good things for you business. Maybe I'll get to try one of your products a couple years down the road after you've been able to increase production capacity (and probably prices too).

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #1,394 of 2,978
Grats to those who got in on this last purchase. I just tried (took me literally just a hair under 60 seconds) and it was already sold out. This literally sold out in under a minute. I had everything ready for copy/paste etc. and still wasn't fast enough. I guess I'm just going to let this one go since it seems impossible to buy (unless you're some kind of purchasing sniper). Again.. grats to those who are able to hear this thing. Grats to Ryan for getting lucky to have such a purchasing frenzy; I hope this means good things for you business. Maybe I'll get to try one of your products a couple years down the road after you've been able to increase production capacity (and probably prices too).
did try the Mimic Audio Route in November, lets see when my Pair ships to see if thats a better route than winning the biweekly lottery :p

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #1,395 of 2,978
There really needs to be a better way to handle selling this thing... bringing back real bad memories of buying a video card two years ago
I agree. Submitting all payment info etc. in 55 seconds flat and being told "unit no longer available" leaves a sense of disappointment and hopelessness that is difficult to describe. Time to move on and just enjoy my stable. Going to try not think about this thing... Hey on the bright side.. just saved me allot of money. Now I don't need to buy that HPA V281 that I was going to get since I don't think I'll ever be fast enough to buy one of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back