Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 26, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #1,411 of 3,172
November 3rd purchase off Mimic Audio. No update at all. I dunno if I should just wait longer or just cancel the order :deadhorse:

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #1,412 of 3,172
What perspective is there to have? Modhouse is selling a highly sought after product in a method that is akin to musical chairs, but there's 100 people vying for 1 chair.

I for one am not trying again until they are actually available for purchase. Congrats to all who got in though!
Not trying to be rude, but you sound like a kid who didn’t get the candy he wanted.

Ryan makes a small batch of headphones and opens sales on a given time public to everyone.

If you’re too slow, try the next time.

I don’t think he’s handling this in a bad way. Orders open, the fastest one get them.
A lottery would be unfair imo. There could be people who wait months to be pulled from all the names while others might be chosen immediately.

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #1,413 of 3,172
November 3rd purchase off Mimic Audio. No update at all. I dunno if I should just wait longer or just cancel the order
Unless you need the money for something else, it probably makes sense to keep waiting. Even if it turns out they're not to your taste, you won't lose money on resale given the severe supply crunch.

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #1,414 of 3,172
Unless you need the money for something else, it probably makes sense to keep waiting. Even if it turns out they're not to your taste, you won't lose money on resale given the severe supply crunch.
Very true. I'll keep waiting. I just wish I could get an update, but I'm sure he is swamped. If March comes around and I hear nothing, things might be different though.

I have very low expectations about this pair of headphones, but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. :L3000:

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #1,415 of 3,172
Very true. I'll keep waiting. I just wish I could get an update, but I'm sure he is swamped. If March comes around and I hear nothing, things might be different though.

I have very low expectations about this pair of headphones, but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. :L3000:
I emailed asking a question about the Tungsten weeks ago and have not seen a reply (and don't think I will). Either he's too busy to check/reply to email or he's only responding to specific emails (like existing customer orders etc).

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #1,416 of 3,172
I don’t think he’s handling this in a bad way. Orders open, the fastest one get them.
A lottery would be unfair imo. There could be people who wait months to be pulled from all the names while others might be chosen immediately.
The current system is essentially a lottery weighted toward the most nimble. To my mind, it would make more sense to just have a standard waiting list, first come, first served. At this point, it's academic to me since I've not yet heard the Tungsten, but even if I like it I wouldn't consider a purchase until the current system is replaced. YMMV.

Jan 26, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #1,417 of 3,172
The hype will eventually die and these will be available, you just have to wait.
Except I don’t want to wait. I want it now! :L3000:

Jan 26, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #1,418 of 3,172
Not trying to be rude, but you sound like a kid who didn’t get the candy he wanted.

Ryan makes a small batch of headphones and opens sales on a given time public to everyone.

If you’re too slow, try the next time.

Having a valid complaint about the way they're selling their product makes me sound like a spoiled child? No need to defend a company that paper launched a highly visible product. Is this thread only around for the 10 people out there to talk about their experience with the headphone? If it's a one man custom job, so be it - I aired my grievance with how Modhouse handles the sales/interest in the headphone, that's all there is to it.

Nothing indicates I was too slow. Site didn't even let me add to cart until past 11 am, which was no doubt too late already.

A lottery draw from that drop's batch makes sense to me - not sure why you suggest they would draw from the entire pool of paid customers old and new.

Jan 26, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #1,419 of 3,172
He should either hire somebody else to help him or stop taking new orders until he's caught up. 🤷‍♂️

Jan 26, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #1,420 of 3,172
There really needs to be a better way to handle selling this thing... bringing back real bad memories of buying a video card two years ago
Thats EXACTLY what it's like and I bet bots are snagging them all for jacked-up resell prices at this point.

Jan 26, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #1,421 of 3,172
Yeah but that was mostly Nvidia being greedy bastards and increasing their prices and deliberately choking up supply of their cards because of muh crypto craze and now the AI craze, ModHouse doesn't have that kind of power, in fact it is him going full steam ahead trying to keep up with demand but demand being so crazy high that he's having trouble meeting it.
Naw, man,. it is merely a function of supply and demand. TSMC fabs all the silicon and that waiting list is long af.

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #1,422 of 3,172
Ryan actually sent an email (~week ago) indicating the current delay in timelines.
It stated that Nov 3rd orders are expected to be ready by first week of Feb, while Nov 10th orders will be ready by the 3rd week of Feb and Nov 24th orders will probably slip into March.
You can do the math for the following order dates.

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #1,423 of 3,172
Naw, man,. it is merely a function of supply and demand. TSMC fabs all the silicon and that waiting list is long af.
Partially true, but and specially around the launch of the 30's series cards, Nivdia was selling either them or through their partners cards to miners and also it's well known(because Jensen has said it itself publicly) that they "control" all the supply chain of cards, so they control how much supply there is at any given point in order that they can maintain their over inflated prices to present the best possible quarterly reports to their investors.

I also heard that Nivida is super heavily leveraged debt wise, so there might be a reason why they need to do this things and why they need to have between 60%-70% margin on their cards, still a really crappy situation for us mortals that don't have the capital to buy directly from Nvidia gpus by the pallet load.

But to bring this back to Tungsten, Ryan is not at all a Jensen, he's just a guy that's trying his best to meet demand for his product.

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #1,424 of 3,172
Being in the market for a new set of ~$2,000USD cans, and being so intrigued by the Tungstens, is another reminder that my stance of never pre-ordering or even "waiting in line" for hobby stuff can be tough "ideals" (for lack of a better term) to stick with sometimes, hahaha.

Those of you trying to nab a set during one of the drops: hang in there. I don't have the mindset to do that, thus I also won't have a pair of Tungstens either! hahaha

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #1,425 of 3,172
Having a valid complaint about the way they're selling their product makes me sound like a spoiled child? No need to defend a company that paper launched a highly visible product. Is this thread only around for the 10 people out there to talk about their experience with the headphone? If it's a one man custom job, so be it - I aired my grievance with how Modhouse handles the sales/interest in the headphone, that's all there is to it.

Nothing indicates I was too slow. Site didn't even let me add to cart until past 11 am, which was no doubt too late already.

A lottery draw from that drop's batch makes sense to me - not sure why you suggest they would draw from the entire pool of paid customers old and new.

Lotteries are just as easy to game as drops (if not easier because depending on its implementation a person could easily sign up multiple times themselves) if we're taking at face value that scalpers with bots are the ones taking up orders, which I doubt that there are many of if at all, I think it's just a case of a highly passionate bigger than anticipated fanbase and the limited production capabilities of a one man shop. As others have mentioned, we're talking about potentially very limited inventory each time.

Sure, Ryan could implement bot prevention mechanisms if he wanted to establish a lottery system, but those are expensive and would require him devoting time to not just figuring out a lottery system but figuring out how to prevent that system from being gamed and as others have mentioned, that's time spent that could potentially be spent fulfilling orders. When you're dealing with such a small scale operation the time you spend is the most important resource available to you.

All this to say, there is no perfect system at this point, and yeah while the wait and the feeling of not being able to place an order when you want to do so sucks, there are no easy fixes until he feels like his company can scale up enough to be able to handle those things or if he figures out a way to increase production while maintaining the level of quality he desires and which others have already remarked upon for each headphone made. These are growing pains, nothing more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back