Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 23, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #1,367 of 2,898
How is the dynamics, macro-contrast, slam, and impact (i.e. overall sense of physical tactility) on this headphone?

Do kick drums hit with the force of the entire universe imploding?

The Tungsten is meant to be the spiritual successor to the Hifiman HE6 - and by most accounts the most special qualities of that headphone was the above described sense of physicality.

So how does this quality on the Tungsten compare to the OG HE6? Hopefully at least as good?

And how does it compare to the physicality of the Focal Clear, or Audeze LCDX, or Hifiman HE6SEV2?

Please mention whether you're using the SS or DS Tungsten as a reference...

Jan 23, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #1,368 of 2,898
I'd like to add to the availability discussion-

IF it was readily available it would cost more. Part of the savings comes from exactly that wait.

Jan 23, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #1,369 of 2,898
Anyone able to talk about what it is that had you in love with your Tungsten? I am on the fence on buying a SS version or a HE1000SE (not he1000v2 or he1000 stealth but an actual HE1000SE .. they are easy to confuse). Can you guys talk about which traits of the sound appeal to you and what has you reaching for the Tungsten over your other options? I have a couple handfuls of headphones in the 1$-4$k range.. if I go for the SS, I would also be purchasing a V281 amp to go with it so this would not be a small expense.. My question.. is it worth it? Is the Tungsten hype really worth of.. well.. the hype? lol.
HEKSe is an amazing headphone and a resolution monster, but it is undeniably bright. I haven't heard Tungsten yet, but I feel pretty confident the biggest difference is going to be the "brightness" factor. HEKSe will probably "out-resolve" Tungsten, but Tungsten will be the generally more enjoyable listen for most people.

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #1,370 of 2,898
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/mod-house-tungsten.26823/reviews#review-32108

Based on what you describe, I do think the Tungsten would be the better cholice for you, and SS is probably also the right choice - though I can't stress enough that if you like the SS you'd like the DS and vice versa; they are much more similar than different.

I disagree. I kept the DS because, to me, it was more fun. It's not like a mixing/pro tuning. It's simply more neutral tonally, but still a bit warm and very textured. Both versions are highly engaging and are a blast.

FWIW (super subjective), I came about it the opposite way - I heard a prototype of the SS at Chicago CanJam and, because of that ended up buying the Tungsten.

I have a few ZMF headphones and patiently waited the 3-4 months to receive them, all worth it.

Some brands are built to mass scale and are immediately available; others are built to order with a more personal touch. That, in itself, doesn't add or detract from their quality. It's just part of the feature set of their purchasing process.

That was me.. I still think so.. and I agree with this comment (subjectively).

As far as value for price, it is unbeatable.
I did read the review and I did see the part about Susvara vs Tungsten. But what I was hoping for is for the different genre testing. The review only discussed a few songs and not as comprehensive as I would have liked.

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #1,371 of 2,898
@goldwerger you mentioned that you found the DS more “fun” than the SS. Can you go into detail on that? I feel the SS would be the more “fun” sound if it’s U shape tuned with added bass, warmer tonality, and more treble extension with more up front vocals. What about the DS got you to feel it was more fun? I understand that it may be more nuanced & refined but I’m surprised to see the word fun being used in this specific comparison.

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #1,372 of 2,898
@goldwerger you mentioned that you found the DS more “fun” than the SS. Can you go into detail on that? I feel the SS would be the more “fun” sound if it’s U shape tuned with added bass, warmer tonality, and more treble extension with more up front vocals. What about the DS got you to feel it was more fun? I understand that it may be more nuanced & refined but I’m surprised to see the word fun being used in this specific comparison.

"Fun" is just a subjective term of enjoyment, no audiophile terminology implied or intended... I just enjoyed it more. (by a bit, mind you).

What I liked about the DS more was the following:
  • Bigger soundstage (neither artifically big nor small, just natural; the SS in comparison are slightly more intimate in their presentation)
  • Slightly more relaxed and less fatiguiing (again, small differences, but I found that with the SS I had some time limit to my listening, with DS I could listen for hours)
  • The DS is slightly more resolving (the thing I care about the least in this case; they are both plenty resolving)
Also, in isolation I would consider them both balanced; I could only tell the differences in tonality whe comparing them side-by-side.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #1,373 of 2,898
"Fun" is just a subjective term of enjoyment, no audiophile temrinology implied or intended... I just enjoyed it more. (by a bit, mind you).

What I liked about the DS more was the following:
  • Bigger soundstage (neither and artifically big nor small, just natural; the SS in comparison are slightly more intimate in their presentation)
  • Slightly more relaxed and less fatiguiing (again, small differences, but I found that with the SS I had some time limit to my listening, with DS I could listen for hours)
  • The DS is slightly more resolving (the thing I care about the least in this case; they are both plenty resolving)
Also, in isolation I would consider them both balanced; I could only tell the differences in tonality whe compating them side-by-side.

Hope this helps
Ah that makes more sense. Thank you =]

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #1,374 of 2,898
Weird question- Anyone here have a chance to try the Tungsten with Violetric V281 vs the V550 model? I'm considering possibly trying the V550 instead of the V281.. if anyone has any thoughts they'd like to share, I'd most appreciate it! It seems like the two units are not far off power-wise from one another...

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #1,375 of 2,898
Weird question- Anyone here have a chance to try the Tungsten with Violetric V281 vs the V550 model? I'm considering possibly trying the V550 instead of the V281.. if anyone has any thoughts they'd like to share, I'd most appreciate it! It seems like the two units are not far off power-wise from one another...
Both have been mentioned as driving the Tungsten without issue.
As to a comparison I found this review / comparison from WaveTheory to be useful.
** As always, take all reviews, reviewers, and their findings with a grain of salt, but it's a data point.

I own the V281, and have a Tungsten on the way, but cannot personally comment on the V550 since I don't have one.
:beerchug:

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #1,379 of 2,898
I'm going to A/B the two next week. I have the V281 and my buddy has the V550. I've heard the SS and DS on both. From memory, the V550 is more analytical with a very deep sound soundstage with great layering. The V281 is slightly warmer with a slightly narrower stage. Both are VERY good. I think it depends on your preference. I will report back next week with some impressions on the V281 versus V550. Power wise, both are fine. They are both extremely powerful amps.

Another thing to consider is that the V281 is discontinued. You can get the reissue from Power Holdings but there's a bit of gray area as to when they actually ship. If I didn't already have the V281 that I happened to find used, I'd go with the V550. The Soekris 2541/V550 combo I heard at my friend's house was magical with my SS.

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #1,380 of 2,898
Really considering the Tungsten, right now I run my regular headphones of the RME ADI 2/4 Pro SE, the one with 4.4 pentaconn connector and other minor changes.

Really loving it especially after the remote software came out and hardware EQ and settings are now so easy to set up and change on the fly :)

It is quoted at:
3.4 Watts balanced at 32 Ohms, per channel.

Would this mean it is close to 7watt(6.8watt) at 32ohm if looking at the headphone wattage calculator and what to expect in terms of listening volume what can be achieved, or comparing to running non balanced in terms of power?

Just with some quick maths, converting impedance and power and looking on the calculator charts in both cases such as the HE6 and the Tungsten it gets me to around 93dB max volume but not sure if this is the right way to do it :p

I have tried to drive the LCD4(relatively easy) and the OG HE6(close to maxed out with EQ and bassboost) on it.

Loving these headphones, something inbetween these two are my dream Planar and the Tungsten seems close according to what I have read.

I am not afraid to play around with eq and such, not always saying its needed, the Tungsten(DS magnet version) seems neutral and might not need much adjusting in terms of EQ.

I also have the Perun Rock V2 and run it without EQ, sometimes a small bassboost only depending on genre more like EDM and HipHop.

TLDR: Tungsten on RME ADI 2/4 Pro SE, yay or nay ? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back