Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 19, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #1,337 of 2,989
Most definitely. On many headphones if you increase the distance between your ears and the drivers (using thicker earpads) the perceived soundstage size grows. Tubes can also give the sensation of a larger space. As well as DACs and amps can come across as more or less spacious.

Agree..

Jan 19, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #1,338 of 2,989
@Resolve,
I get the feeling that while you like these phones, you don't REALLY like them. What phones would you get aside or as an alternative to these and why?
Also how do these compare to say the ZMF closed back fare Bass wise, which hits harder?
Thank you.
No I definitely REALLY like these. If I were buying a high end planar today it's probably between these and empy2. Although I haven't tried the E3 yet.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 19, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #1,339 of 2,989
When you mentioned large but diffuse soundstage vs. smaller but more focused (better dynamic slam), I immediately thought of the oval HiFiMan headphones. Those sound large, but also quite diffuse which I too dislike. Always gravitated towards a more 'precise' image and dynamic punch versus a big but diffuse stage (preferred LCD-X versus the first Arya for example). That said, I like a larger soundstage, but it is not easy to find headphones that can sound spacious and precise/dynamic at the same time. Meze Elite has a large stage too, although images are not as huge/tall as they are on the HE1000 series for example but still very spacious. It is a laid-back sounding headphone, so won't slam your brain out, but to me already sounds a lot more 'focused' (with angled pads) than the HE series. Caldera has smaller stage than the Elite, but still bigger than 2/3rd of the headphones. Plus, there is plenty of slam and dynamics. It is about finding the right concoction for you, the perfect personal blend of soundstage size, precision, clarity, dynamic slam.

Most definitely. On many headphones if you increase the distance between your ears and the drivers (using thicker earpads) the perceived soundstage size grows. Tubes can also give the sensation of a larger space. As well as DACs and amps can come across as more or less spacious. DAC filters maybe not so much.

I am fully aware, that soundstage is created in our head by our brain as an illusion, but I think you need to feed the right data to the brain for it being able to create a believable illusion. By believable I mean precise and clear enough to feel it is real. It also seems, the size of the soundscape depends on the information we feed to our brain. So, from certain sonic clues the brain will create a smaller, from other audio data it will create a bigger perceived stage. That is why I do not think I contradict any previous posts; science will always be behind and has to catch up with explanations why people experience what they experience.
You hit on why I prefer the HE1000 Stealth out of all the Hifiman (sans Susvara) - big enough soundstage but more intimate than HE1000se , for instance.

It's a delicate balancing act, tuning headphones. I bet Ryan had a blast playing with all the drivers and different materials while in the development phases of Tungsten.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #1,340 of 2,989
No I definitely REALLY like these. If I were buying a high end planar today it's probably between these and empy2. Although I haven't tried the E3 yet.
If you were to dismiss technical aspects (and comfort, amping, etc) and base it purely for musical enjoyment, which one would you prefer?
Also, how big of an impact did the hybrid pads have in terms of subjective enjoyment?

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #1,341 of 2,989
Finally is here after so long wait. But definitely worth to wait.
20240123_142550.jpg
20240123_140327.jpg
20240123_224734.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #1,342 of 2,989
That is a great color!!

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #1,343 of 2,989
boy rockin dem baby blues

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #1,344 of 2,989
Jan 23, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #1,349 of 2,989
My homage arrived, it can definitely drive the tungsten double sided. I don’t know about single sided though. Using the Bifrost 2/64 xlr as the dac. Sounds great IMO.
Really? Have you been able to compare that to anything else out of curiosity? I only ask because I really didn't think the Homage would given the voltage/power ratios. I mean, synergy matters for sure and if you enjoy the sound at the end of the day that is all that matters.
Oh and Tungsten aside, congrats! The Homage was an excellent sounding amp when I tried it at CanJam!

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #1,350 of 2,989
Really? Have you been able to compare that to anything else out of curiosity? I only ask because I really didn't think the Homage would given the voltage/power ratios. I mean, synergy matters for sure and if you enjoy the sound at the end of the day that is all that matters.
Oh and Tungsten aside, congrats! The Homage was an excellent sounding amp when I tried it at CanJam!
Yeah, out of all my amps the only ones prior to this that could drive the tungsten’s were the HA-3A and the Hifiman EF400. The bass is definitely better on the homage than it is with the EF400. I’ll have to try it again on the HA-3A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back