Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Nov 12, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #496 of 3,025
Outside of the feedback issue (Would love to hear other users able to reproduce this?). I'm sitting on my Liquid Platinum, but very tempted to just pull the trigger on a v281 Reissue.

What were your feelings on SS vs DS Tungsten?
Ah sorry, I listened to the two over a month apart, and with different songs, and on different amps, so I don't think I could make a detailed comparison between the two, especially since my experience is that amp feedback makes such a difference in the presentation. From memory, they aren't all that different though, so when I heard the SS Tungsten, my mind went "yes, this sounds very much like the other Tungsten".

Nov 14, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #497 of 3,025
So tungsten will be on sale on 24.11.23? Did I just buy a pair of headphones for 2k just for them to be on sale two weeks later?!

Bruh

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #500 of 3,025
So tungsten will be on sale on 24.11.23? Did I just buy a pair of headphones for 2k just for them to be on sale two weeks later?!

Bruh
It has been understood that Ryan is doing rolling releases every other week or so unless he specifies otherwise due to limited labor/supplies he has, yep yep. I noticed in this particular case, every other Friday.

Nov 14, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #501 of 3,025
Ah well I already shed a tear lol.

homepage said it’s on sale on 24.11. which would be Black Friday so I concluded it will already have a price drop.

Anyways. I hope they’ll arrive soon

Nov 14, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #502 of 3,025
I'd like to add to my previous post about hearing the single-sided version of the Tungsten at Capital Audio Fest last weekend. I posted an enthusiastic set of impressions of these headphones from a fancy setup, the Mytek Empire streamer and DAC and then the Headamp CFA3 amp. The next day I got to hear a different pair of the single-sided Tungstens with a much more modest setup, the Geshelli Labs J2 DAC and E2 amp, which together sell for about $500 vs the ca. $30k for the other, fancy setup.

There was a bit of a problem with the right channel of the second pair of Tungsten, which the Geshelli rep knew about, but when I got the sound coming through properly, the headphones again sounded really good. They were significantly less impressive than with the other setup, but for $500, the sound was very good. The bass was still nicely forward and robust, if not quite as tight and impactful, and the mids were likewise pleasant, and I didn't hear any oddities with the treble. The overall sound, though, was much less refined, less resolving, less even and smooth, and just a bit rougher around the edges, as you'd expect for a comparatively modest chain.

I don't think I'd recommend the Geshelli stack as a pairing with the Tungsten. But if you're on a tight budget and have dropped $1,600 on the headphones, the Geshelli gear will serve you reasonably well while you refill the piggy bank to get a source and amp pairing that'd do justice to the headphones. They clearly scale well, and impressively, with high-end gear. But, for the price, the Tungsten and Geshelli stack would get you going nicely.

Nov 14, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #503 of 3,025
I'm really wondering about the types of cables you can use with the Tungstens and this leads me to ask a few questions here:

-Knowing 4-pin XLR male to dual 3.5mm males exists, can each cup connector have a 3-pin XLR male to 3.5mm male cable going to it?
--Is this even possible?
--Are these cables a good idea? Redundant/not needed yes, I don't care about that, but it's the same thing going to the headphones yeah?
--Will these cables cause any issues a 4-pin XLR to dual 3.5mm male cable wouldn't?

I could just get a dual 3pin XLR males to 4pin XLR female cable, but I wanted to explore the possibility of separate 3-pin XLRs.

Nov 15, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #505 of 3,025
I went with a A70 pro and will feed it from my element III with RCA. Hope it has enough power when the Tungstens arrive

Nov 15, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #507 of 3,025
Topping A70 Pro is known to have enough power
Yeah but I don’t feed it with an D70 with balanced input and some other user said I’d loose a ton of output power with only the elements RCA output into the A70

Nov 15, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #509 of 3,025
I'm probably going to just bite the bullet and snag a Violectric v281(Run it off a J2 :p) can't see many comments or perspectives saying I'll regret getting it for the DS Tungsten.
It will be a nice pairing. I had my J2 running to a Violectric V222 and it was good synergy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back