Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Nov 19, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #526 of 3,179
Can one do this swap generally on amps that support 12au7? Do the 6922 use the 12.6 or the 6.3V heater mode of 12au7? Any adapter required? Might be fun to try this.
My amp has separate sockets for 12AU7 and 6922. It is a CRAZY custom amp.
In general, with adapters, you can use 6922 instead of 12AU7 and vice versa. The only consideration is 12.6V vs. 6.3V. AFAIK 6922 tubes only support 6.3V, while 12AU7 tubes can work in 12.6V or 6.3V.
So, make sure you do not plug 6922 tubes (with adapter) to an amp that powers its 12AU7 sockets with 12.6V...

Nov 20, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #527 of 3,179
At this point we really need to get a community google doc going to compile a list of amplifiers that pair well with this headphone and links to impressions of people who have tried the pairing!

Nov 20, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #528 of 3,179
I have received my Tungsten a couple of days ago, and due to work and life constraints - I FINALLY just had a couple of hours with my new Tungsten DS.
Testing them on 4 of my amps:
* Holo Bliss solid state: had to almost max the volume. Sounds good but not its best.
* McChanson UltimatE (custom tube SET amp by Eric, Australian tube amp designer and builder): with 6J5 as drivers, and Mazda 6p25 output tubes. Volume pushed to 12 o'clock - the highest ever (big surprise). Sounded better than Bliss. Due to HUGE list of tube options - very likely other tube combination could be better, but would take a while to try more options... :wink:
* Solar Flare (crazy custom 45/2A3/300B tube amp by Mischa, super talented amp designer and builder from Canada): again, only tested (so far) on the configuration that was last in use, so FAR from ideal config for Tungsten. Using 12AU7 as drivers and 2A3 as output tubes, amp in SET topology - had to almost max the volume. I will not pass judgement until I try with 300B tubes which should have more power!
* Glenn 6EL3N (again, 1 of a kind design - this time by Glenn): this tube amp uses 6 x EL3N tubes (as the name implies). 2 as drivers, and 4 as output. Out of the 4 amps tested - this was by far the best synergy with the Tungsten. Felt effortless, with volume knob between 5 and 6 (out of 11. Really... :laughing:).

Over the weekend, I plan on trying my Wells Milo (solid state amp), as well as try other tubes on the UltimatE (#2 above) and Solar Flare (#3 above). I expect both to get better with other (more powerful) tubes.
As a northerner myself who likes to buy locally when I can (in part because the international shipping for heavy amplifiers is super expensive!), where can I learn more about Mischa and his amplifiers? I have tried a quick search on google which didn't yield much results

Nov 20, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #529 of 3,179
As a northerner myself who likes to buy locally when I can (in part because the international shipping for heavy amplifiers is super expensive!), where can I learn more about Mischa and his amplifiers? I have tried a quick search on google which didn't yield much results

https://1101audio.com/index.html

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #530 of 3,179
just to reference.... I tried the Tungsten on two of the Burson offers.... both drove the Tungsten fine ... the Burson amps are the newly released Soloist Voyager and the Soloist 3x GT... mated with the RME Dac... plenty of power with the volume around 60 ... they sounded very good with that setup... these are 10watt units...

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #531 of 3,179
just to reference.... I tried the Tungsten on two of the Burson offers.... both drove the Tungsten fine ... the Burson amps are the newly released Soloist Voyager and the Soloist 3x GT... mated with the RME Dac... plenty of power with the volume around 60 ... they sounded very good with that setup... these are 10watt units...
That is good to know, I'm just curious where was your gain set at?
Thank you

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #535 of 3,179
I ordered the DS, mostly so I wouldn't have to wonder "What if" - if I grew tired of the mild v-shape tuning.

G8torbyte, would you be able to weigh in on v222 vs v281? Maybe just trying to talk myself into the v281 at this point...

I doubt that the V222 has the juice to properly drive the Tungsten. It’s powerful for sure but I think the magic number for the Tungsten is minimum 20vrms into 150ohms and I think the Violectric V222 is slightly below that. It might do fine but it will probably be straining itself with the Tungsten.

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #536 of 3,179
I am debating gettin a DS. I feel that my ampsandsound Bigger Ben Rev 2 should be enough. I have a Trafomatic head 2 which is only 2wpc but does have a higher gain than most amps. I have a Dac where I can change the output voltage and I run it through a preamp that can add up to 9 db of gain.

Cable seems kind of short. Is there any options for longer Cables?

Nov 21, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #537 of 3,179
I have a Dac where I can change the output voltage and I run it through a preamp that can add up to 9 db of gain.

That will help. If you feed an amp a higher voltage (e.g. 9V vs. 4V) you’ll be able to of away with lesser gain. But make sure you have an amp with excellent noise floor in this scenario.

Nov 21, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #538 of 3,179
That will help. If you feed an amp a higher voltage (e.g. 9V vs. 4V) you’ll be able to of away with lesser gain. But make sure you have an amp with excellent noise floor in this scenario.
I'm glad you brought this up Gold. Can you feed ANY amp a 4V+ amount? Like for example, Benchmark's DAC 3B outputs 12V. I'm assuming if an amp can only safely accept a 4V input, ANY website selling that specific amp specifies that.

Nov 21, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #539 of 3,179
I'm glad you brought this up Gold. Can you feed ANY amp a 4V+ amount? Like for example, Benchmark's DAC 3B outputs 12V. I'm assuming if an amp can only safely accept a 4V input, ANY website selling that specific amp specifies that.

No. And I’m glad you asked..

That depends on the amp - sometimes spec-ed and other times you can ask the manufacturer what’s the higher limit that’s safe to feed it. Some older single ended tube amps may like 2V inputs and designed around it. Modern amps tend to have more tolerance but it’s not uniform. Always check the specs (listed or inquired)

Nov 21, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #540 of 3,179
I am debating gettin a DS. I feel that my ampsandsound Bigger Ben Rev 2 should be enough. I have a Trafomatic head 2 which is only 2wpc but does have a higher gain than most amps. I have a Dac where I can change the output voltage and I run it through a preamp that can add up to 9 db of gain.

Cable seems kind of short. Is there any options for longer Cables?

You can ask for longer cable options. I previously asked Ryan about it, if you email him he can work something out with Skedra, the provider of the cable. The price he quoted me previously was $50 extra per foot from the 6ft stock cable, so you can order it according to your needs. Otherwise, it's a 3.5mm jack so lots of options for custom cables if you wanna go that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back