Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Nov 16, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #512 of 3,179
Could anybody give me a definitive answer to what the difference is between the single and double sided Tungsten? Debating if I should try the easier to drive single or go with the double.

A definitive answer is impossible as this will vary from person to person based on your HRTF (shape of your ears, how the headphone fits you, and consequently how your specific ears will receive the sound waves directionally, phase wise, etc); and, mostly, it will vary based on taste.

FWIW, I offered my take on the difference between the SS and DD in my review of the Tungsten, in a specific section dedicated to that comparison (toward the end of the review):

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/mod-house-tungsten.26823/reviews#review-32108

TLDR; you can’t go wrong.. 😊

Nov 16, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #513 of 3,179
A definitive answer is impossible as this will vary from person to person based on your HRTF (shape of your ears, how the headphone fits you, and consequently how your specific ears will receive the sound waves directionally, phase wise, etc); and, mostly, it will vary based on taste.

FWIW, I offered my take on the difference between the SS and DD in my review of the Tungsten, in a specific section dedicated to that comparison (toward the end of the review):

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/mod-house-tungsten.26823/reviews#review-32108

TLDR; you can’t go wrong.. 😊
Thanks much appreciated.

Nov 16, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #514 of 3,179
I ordered the DS, mostly so I wouldn't have to wonder "What if" - if I grew tired of the mild v-shape tuning.

It will be a nice pairing. I had my J2 running to a Violectric V222 and it was good synergy.
G8torbyte, would you be able to weigh in on v222 vs v281? Maybe just trying to talk myself into the v281 at this point...

Nov 16, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #515 of 3,179
I ordered the DS, mostly so I wouldn't have to wonder "What if" - if I grew tired of the mild v-shape tuning.

G8torbyte, would you be able to weigh in on v222 vs v281? Maybe just trying to talk myself into the v281 at this point...
Sure, I can comment some on the V222 but I have not listened to the V281. I've had the V222 since the Spring when I put in an order with Power Holdings earlier this year.

It performs great with all my gear. It pairs especially well with my planar headphones and made the DCA Aeon-2's sound their best which these can be finicky on other pairings. It is a superb SS amp with plenty of power and I agree with many who posted similar experiences here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/violectric-v222-and-v202.963504/

I recently purchased the Schiit Bifrost 2/64 multibit and agree with others on that thread that it pairs nicely with the V222. I think it will work very well with a ZMF Caldera planar I ordered.

I have not experienced the V281 but some members here say the V222 carries on much of the V281’s character. Violectric is working with Arthur at Power Holdings on a revision release of the V281 that looks very interesting:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vio...mited-reissue-edition-up-for-preorder.705318/

It is a higher price but does have additional power, a pair of RCA/XLR pre-outs, 4.4mm pentaconn jack, an updated volume pot among some of the revisions.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #516 of 3,179
The ordering commencement time on Modhouse's website of 11.00am est translates to 3.00am my time. Not happy.
There has been no talk regards a closed version of the Tungsten, is there such a piece forth coming or not.
BTW, if you're on the fence regards purchase, don't wait for the next model as prices will go through the roof. ZMF when 'fresh' had very reasonable pricing and as the business grew so did their pricing. As Modhouse grows (as it should) more staff will be hired and needed machinery and added accessories and so on will force upwards pricing. Next base price will be 2.5K, my opinion.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #517 of 3,179
I have received my Tungsten a couple of days ago, and due to work and life constraints - I FINALLY just had a couple of hours with my new Tungsten DS.
Testing them on 4 of my amps:
* Holo Bliss solid state: had to almost max the volume. Sounds good but not its best.
* McChanson UltimatE (custom tube SET amp by Eric, Australian tube amp designer and builder): with 6J5 as drivers, and Mazda 6p25 output tubes. Volume pushed to 12 o'clock - the highest ever (big surprise). Sounded better than Bliss. Due to HUGE list of tube options - very likely other tube combination could be better, but would take a while to try more options... :wink:
* Solar Flare (crazy custom 45/2A3/300B tube amp by Mischa, super talented amp designer and builder from Canada): again, only tested (so far) on the configuration that was last in use, so FAR from ideal config for Tungsten. Using 12AU7 as drivers and 2A3 as output tubes, amp in SET topology - had to almost max the volume. I will not pass judgement until I try with 300B tubes which should have more power!
* Glenn 6EL3N (again, 1 of a kind design - this time by Glenn): this tube amp uses 6 x EL3N tubes (as the name implies). 2 as drivers, and 4 as output. Out of the 4 amps tested - this was by far the best synergy with the Tungsten. Felt effortless, with volume knob between 5 and 6 (out of 11. Really... :laughing:).

Over the weekend, I plan on trying my Wells Milo (solid state amp), as well as try other tubes on the UltimatE (#2 above) and Solar Flare (#3 above). I expect both to get better with other (more powerful) tubes.

Nov 18, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #518 of 3,179
I have received my Tungsten a couple of days ago, and due to work and life constraints - I FINALLY just had a couple of hours with my new Tungsten DS.
* Holo Bliss solid state: had to almost max the volume. Sounds good but not its best.
* McChanson UltimatE (custom tube SET amp by Eric, Australian tube amp designer and builder): with 6J5 as drivers, and Mazda 6p25 output tubes. Volume pushed to 12 o'clock - the highest ever (big surprise). Sounded better than Bliss. Due to HUGE list of tube options - very likely other tube combination could be better, but would take a while to try more options... :wink:
* Solar Flare (crazy custom 45/2A3/300B tube amp by Mischa, super talented amp designer and builder from Canada): again, only tested (so far) on the configuration that was last in use, so FAR from ideal config for Tungsten. Using 12AU7 as drivers and 2A3 as output tubes, amp in SET topology - had to almost max the volume. I will not pass judgement until I try with 300B tubes which should have more power!
* Glenn 6EL3N (again, 1 of a kind design - this time by Glenn): this tube amp uses 6 x EL3N tubes (as the name implies). 2 as drivers, and 4 as output. Out of the 4 amps tested - this was by far the best synergy with the Tungsten. Felt effortless, with volume knob between 5 and 6 (out of 11. Really... :laughing:).

Over the weekend, I plan on trying my Wells Milo (solid state amp), as well as try other tubes on the UltimatE (#2 above) and Solar Flare (#3 above). I expect both to get better with other (more powerful) tubes.
Okay great but how do they sound?

Nov 18, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #519 of 3,179

Congrats buddy!

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #520 of 3,179
Okay great but how do they sound?
Too early to tell, but initial impressions:
* Great extension both in treble and sub-bass.
* Very detailed - great resolution and instrument separation.
* Energetic. What I mean by that: these are not the type of headphones to use for background listening while you're working etc. They will grab your attention and keep it.

Nov 19, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #521 of 3,179
It always amuses me when you hear polar opinions on something. In this case, some say the sound on the DS version being very smooth while others say energetic.
We all hear differently I know although not that differently. :sunglasses:

Nov 19, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #522 of 3,179
It always amuses me when you hear polar opinions on something. In this case, some say the sound on the DS version being very smooth while others say energetic.
We all hear differently I know although not that differently. :sunglasses:
It's energetic compare to other headphones I have. Never heard the single-sided magnet version of Tungsten, so no idea how those 2 versions compare...
Regardless, you are correct - people do hear differently.

Nov 19, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #523 of 3,179

Today, I swapped 12AU7 tubes (drivers) to 6922 tubes (also drivers). Reason being 6922 gain is higher than 12AU7. The result: MUCH more headroom!
I had to lower the volume from 3 o'clock to 1 o'clock for roughly the same loudness levels. That is a BIG difference. Now, I am confident the Solar Flare amp is a better match for Tungsten than before! That is even before swapping the output tubes from 2A3 to 300B which should provide another jump in power.

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #525 of 3,179
Today, I swapped 12AU7 tubes (drivers) to 6922 tubes (also drivers). Reason being 6922 gain is higher than 12AU7. The result: MUCH more headroom!
I had to lower the volume from 3 o'clock to 1 o'clock for roughly the same loudness levels. That is a BIG difference. Now, I am confident the Solar Flare amp is a better match for Tungsten than before! That is even before swapping the output tubes from 2A3 to 300B which should provide another jump in power.
Can one do this swap generally on amps that support 12au7? Do the 6922 use the 12.6 or the 6.3V heater mode of 12au7? Any adapter required? Might be fun to try this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back