Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Aug 24, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #151 of 2,978
Hey. I'm glad you liked them. I've been enjoying them for the last few days at home since I got home from the show. They've quickly grown to be one if not the favorite headphone I have at the moment. Especially the staging and even handedness throughout the whole frequency band is just something that grabs me every time. Vocals sound absolutely stunning and natural. On my Zähl amp the bass performance is just something else. Very well controlled and digging very deep. With a beautiful weight to the sound.
My D8k in comparison still has the edge in pure treble detail and texture but the Tungsten makes up for it with a more natural presentation. When comparing the two side by side it's just crazy how huge Tungsten sound in comparison. And on top they are one of the most comfortable headphones I've owned. A very compelling package Mod House managed to put together here.
1692926109139.png
How does one buy one of these like you? As far as I can find, they haven’t been released yet.

Aug 24, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #152 of 2,978
Hey. I'm glad you liked them. I've been enjoying them for the last few days at home since I got home from the show. They've quickly grown to be one if not the favorite headphone I have at the moment. Especially the staging and even handedness throughout the whole frequency band is just something that grabs me every time. Vocals sound absolutely stunning and natural. On my Zähl amp the bass performance is just something else. Very well controlled and digging very deep. With a beautiful weight to the sound.
My D8k in comparison still has the edge in pure treble detail and texture but the Tungsten makes up for it with a more natural presentation. When comparing the two side by side it's just crazy how huge Tungsten sound in comparison. And on top they are one of the most comfortable headphones I've owned. A very compelling package Mod House managed to put together here.
1692926109139.png

is yours the single or double sided?

PS
Killer amp...:wink:

Aug 24, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #153 of 2,978
The stock cable looks really nice too!

Aug 24, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #154 of 2,978
Do you know if that new jds/zmf amp is more powerful than the element 3?
The ZMF amp is 2W per channel/4w total - it drives susvara without any problem. It barely drove the Tungsten with 2v in from the element - I am fairly sure that it will drive it but it would need 3V or more from the DAC to get there well.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 25, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #155 of 2,978
The stock cable looks really nice too!
It's a Viking Weave, not sure what model. I have one of their products and the build quality is solid, it looks great, and it has zero mechanical noise / microphonics which is a close second to sound quality for me in important cable features. I haven't listened to it enough yet to give sound quaility impressiosn but no easy to spot complaints.

Aug 25, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #157 of 2,978
Aug 25, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #158 of 2,978
is yours the single or double sided?

PS
Killer amp...:wink:
I've got the double sided version.

Any yeah. The Zähl is something else. It's been the main hub of my whole setup since I got it start of this year and I wouldn't wanna miss it anymore.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #159 of 2,978
I was wondering how they compare to your atrium?

Aug 25, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #160 of 2,978
What you are proposing is Caldera. None of this is interesting. I don't want concession in value. I want bleeding edge performance.

Between 1266 or Valkyria, you have bespoke at a cost, you also have RAAL as an offset offering the performance targeting a professional audience.

Everything must be sold as a giant killer. Desperately.
Looks like You're as starved for the new "best" headphone as I am. But to be fair to Mod House, this is quite a revolution for them. And I really hope these Tungstens punch above their weight, because that would inevitably lead to a successor :beyersmile:
To me the most frustrating cans are the ones that give You hope that they may challenge the top (like LCD-5 or DCA Expanse ) and then they are just ...not quite there. I currently have the Charybdis for tests and once again ... very interesting, very promising, very good ... but not quite there ( though to be fair they are significantly cheaper ).

I wish Mod House all the best - hope the new headphone is a banger(both of the versions), hope they continue developing, and hope that they'll be able to push the absolute top further!

Aug 25, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #161 of 2,978
I currently have the Charybdis for tests and once again ... very interesting, very promising, very good ... but not quite there
Massive thanks.
I was held back by the dangling connectors and the weight, it got an insanely good review by Mr. Hype (Soundnews) himself (which he always does until the next thing comes out).
I posted a small breakdown of the current state of TOTL's in the Susvara thread and came to the conclusion that we have reached somewhat of a ceiling.
I'm still interested to hear both the Charybdis and the Tungston for a week or so and compare them with other TOTL's, that's just how the hobby goes.

Aug 25, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #162 of 2,978
Aug 25, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #163 of 2,978
I was wondering how they compare to your atrium?
I've just put my Atrium up for sale. Not necessarily only because of Tungsten but in general I've listend to them the least recently and I hope they find a place where they get more use. I still love them but compared to Tungsten (or many higher end planars for that matter) they are just not as resolving as I'd like. Their stage and timbre were the reasons to hold onto them still though. Since I prefer the staging on the Tungsten now - and all the other benefits like no bass roll off, speed etc. It's just not enough for me to keep them anymore. And I also try to limit my headphone lineup to 2 open backs and one closed back at a time.

If you have any specifics you'd like me to compare, let me know.

Aug 25, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #164 of 2,978
I've just put my Atrium up for sale. Not necessarily only because of Tungsten but in general I've listend to them the least recently

(not to take this thread too much off topic, but a quick one on that - after a a short break from listening to the Atrium, I tried the new Caldera Ultra Perforated pads at CanJam Chicago and took a pair home with me on the spot. Instant upgrade to the headphones, and a really joyful rediscovery. May worth a quick try if you already have them)

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #165 of 2,978
I've got the double sided version.

Any yeah. The Zähl is something else. It's been the main hub of my whole setup since I got it start of this year and I wouldn't wanna miss it anymore.
Have you heard the single-sided version as well? If so, I would really love to hear your thoughts on how they compare. I recently got to very briefly demo the single-sided and loved it. But knowing the double-sided is coming has prevented me from pulling the trigger...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back