Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 9, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #1,201 of 2,978
Jan 9, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #1,203 of 2,978
I'm not aware of a DAP that can drive them properly but there probably is one... it probably is going to cost into the thousands of dollars tho and it's going to be a chunker like the Fiio M17, so at that point you might as well go for a dedicated desktop headphone amp to drive them.
Can confirm FiiO M17 drives the DS Tungstens in both overear and enhanced overear (plugged in) headphone modes.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #1,204 of 2,978
Jan 10, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #1,205 of 2,978
I only have experience with relatively easy to drive cans/IEMs. Regarding the Tungstens needing all that voltage, is that just to get everything out of them and allow them to play at maximum volume? What happens if you use them with a lesser amp such as my Aune S17 Pro, does the sound quality deteriorate? Do you lose bass with an amp that can't deliver that much voltage or just maximum volume? Has anyone tried them with the S17?

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #1,206 of 2,978
I only have experience with relatively easy to drive cans/IEMs. Regarding the Tungstens needing all that voltage, is that just to get everything out of them and allow them to play at maximum volume? What happens if you use them with a lesser amp such as my Aune S17 Pro, does the sound quality deteriorate? Do you lose bass with an amp that can't deliver that much voltage or just maximum volume? Has anyone tried them with the S17?
Zeos has and he said that the S17 doesn't drive them that well, that said, he at the time had the even less efficient pre-production version of the tungsten.

Don't worry Simon, latter during the year I will buy a pair of the SS Tungsten and I will run them on my S17 and give everyone my impressions and compare them to my LCD2C, if I'm having trouble running them to a sufficient degree to be enjoyable in our amp then the comparing them to my audeze will make more evident the problem to some degree.

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #1,207 of 2,978
Zeos has and he said that the S17 doesn't drive them that well, that said, he at the time had the even less efficient pre-production version of the tungsten.
Thanks, I must have missed that. I am interested in what it means when an amp doesn't drive them well though, does it mean they just won't go all that loud or does it affect sound quality? I don't listen loud so as long as they sound good at medium volume I'll be happy.
Don't worry Simon, latter during the year I will buy a pair of the SS Tungsten and I will run them on my S17 and give everyone my impressions and compare them to my LCD2C, if I'm having trouble running them to a sufficient degree to be enjoyable in our amp then the comparing them to my audeze will make more evident the problem to some degree.
That will be very useful. I won't be able to afford them for a few months, let alone how long it'll be until we're able to actually buy them, but they do sound as if they'll be amazing.

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #1,208 of 2,978
Thanks, that's an interesting link. So the DS version needs less power than the SS?
Yes. Believe the difference on average in sensitivity between the two versions is now roughly 2 dB whereas Ryan was initially expecting a larger difference in the 3 to 4 range. There is also some unit variations per driver on either version so could be a bit more or less.

Regarding the amplifier's ability to drive Tungstens, I had thought there was no longer any real material difference between the two and in most use cases that's probably true. However, ran into one recently where that wasn't the case. A telegram chat friend with SS Tungstens didn't have enough headroom on his Fiio M17 at maximum volume and gain whereas it was fine on my DS Tungstens.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #1,209 of 2,978
Very interesting, thanks. I don't think I'll be able to afford an amp good enough to fully drive them and, having read the reviews here, I was thinking that the SS might suit me better but maybe I need to consider the DS model if it has more chance of working with something I could afford (i.e. under 1K).

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #1,210 of 2,978
Thanks, I must have missed that. I am interested in what it means when an amp doesn't drive them well though, does it mean they just won't go all that loud or does it affect sound quality? I don't listen loud so as long as they sound good at medium volume I'll be happy.
In his review of the Tungsten he says the amp doesn't run them well, what does that mean? Idk, he probably means in comparison to other things he has in his table.
That will be very useful. I won't be able to afford them for a few months, let alone how long it'll be until we're able to actually buy them, but they do sound as if they'll be amazing.
I plan to try my first attempt at buying them in April of this year, given the 12-14 week time to ship, If everything goes according to plan I should be getting a pair by August of this year, fingers cross!!!

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #1,211 of 2,978
In his review of the Tungsten he says the amp doesn't run them well, what does that mean? Idk, he probably means in comparison to other things he has in his table.

I plan to try my first attempt at buying them in April of this year, given the 12-14 week time to ship, If everything goes according to plan I should be getting a pair by August of this year, fingers cross!!!
In my experience, a bad amp pairing is that there just isn't enough volume for normal listening. Either that or there is just enough volume but no headroom for lower volume tracks.

I did have one amp that actually distorted on bass hits. That was the ifi Black Label.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #1,212 of 2,978
In my experience, a bad amp pairing is that there just isn't enough volume for normal listening. Either that or there is just enough volume but no headroom for lower volume tracks.

I did have one amp that actually distorted on bass hits. That was the ifi Black Label.
My gustard h26 able use on high sensitive iem and tungsten single.The tungsten is test by my friend which hear pretty loud volume so it drive well but if have low master track is gonna be max out.I waiting for my tungsten ds to reach.

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #1,213 of 2,978
Very interesting, thanks. I don't think I'll be able to afford an amp good enough to fully drive them and, having read the reviews here, I was thinking that the SS might suit me better but maybe I need to consider the DS model if it has more chance of working with something I could afford (i.e. under 1K).
Well if you get the SS, then you have enough money left over to get the Jot 2 amp. SS + jot2 = DS in cost.

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #1,214 of 2,978
Well if you get the SS, then you have enough money left over to get the Jot 2 amp. SS + jot2 = DS in cost.
I like the way you think. :)

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #1,215 of 2,978
Saw two of the three reviews each tried the Violectric V281 and the V550, each praised their pairing respectively. Wondering if both are equally good for the DS or would the newer V550 have an edge for headroom and voltage. Was eyeballing the LE release of the v281 but found out you can order the V550 Pro for the same money from Thomann.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back