Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 9, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #1,187 of 3,109
how many single sided Tungsten versions will be available each time they are for sale? what is the cheapest amp price about to drive these well?
For a dedicated headphone amp, from the research I've done, the cheapest you can get to drive them properly is a Topping A70 Pro at about $500 usd, it gives the 20v that Ryan recommended to drive his tungsten's properly, whatever you like topping's sound signature that's another matter.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #1,189 of 3,109
i don't think i'll be buying than as i do not like always having to be connected to big clunky amps
If you want a "portable" solution for the tungsten's, according to Zeos Pantera you can drive tungstens well enough with the xDuoo XD05 Pro and it seems other people here in this forum already had, you're looking at $800usd for that portable amp.

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #1,191 of 3,109
can't a good dap drive them?
I'm not aware of a DAP that can drive them properly but there probably is one... it probably is going to cost into the thousands of dollars tho and it's going to be a chunker like the Fiio M17, so at that point you might as well go for a dedicated desktop headphone amp to drive them.

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #1,193 of 3,109
how many single sided Tungsten versions will be available each time they are for sale? what is the cheapest amp price about to drive these well?
Not sure about the SS but the Schiit Jotunheim 2 is only 400 usd and can drive the DS version.

Anyone tried the Jot 2 with the SS?

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #1,194 of 3,109
Not sure about the SS but the Schiit Jotunheim 2 is only 400 usd and can drive the DS version.

Anyone tried the Jot 2 with the SS?
Problem with Jot2 is that it delivers 18v, so you're still 2v below what Ryan has recommended for Tungsten, Ryan did used Jot2 and it said it drove them fine but you definitively are not gonna have much headroom with that amp.

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #1,196 of 3,109
Problem with Jot2 is that it delivers 18v, so you're still 2v below what Ryan has recommended for Tungsten, Ryan did used Jot2 and it said it drove them fine but you definitively are not gonna have much headroom with that amp.
At one point Ryan recommended 12V. It probably really just comes down to listening volume. 20V is safer but lower could potentially be good too. The difference between 18V and 20V might be like 1-2 dB.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #1,197 of 3,109
At one point Ryan recommended 12V. It probably really just comes down to listening volume. 20V is safer but lower could potentially be good too. The difference between 18V and 20V might be like 1-2 dB.
That gives me hope that my current amp might be able to drive them just fine enough without having to buy a brand new amp.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #1,198 of 3,109
Has anyone tried the SS Tungsten with the Centrance Hifi-M8 V2?

Jan 9, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #1,199 of 3,109
If you want a "portable" solution for the tungsten's, according to Zeos Pantera you can drive tungstens well enough with the xDuoo XD05 Pro and it seems other people here in this forum already had, you're looking at $800usd for that portable amp.
My XD05+ drives single-sided fine in high gain, unless you're looking for ear splitting volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back