Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Feb 26, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #2,086 of 2,978
We need to remember the DAC involved.
If your DAC is pushing 2v, probably not, but if you can push 5- 6v, then yes.

Currawong did a review on the MJ3 not too long ago. Drives the Sus fine.
Sus is harder to drive than Tungsten and it’s around 1-2 o’clock on the mj3 with 6v. Certain recordings will require more vol.
they are very different, but, Sus doesnt need as many volts as Tungsten, but, does require more current.

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #2,087 of 2,978
Oh, man, then he DEFINITELY lost track of you. Email him again. I promise he'll get back to you.
I emailed him a few times during that time. I moved on. Arctic will get my business if I’m in the market.

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #2,088 of 2,978
I emailed him a few times during that time. I moved on. Arctic will get my business if I’m in the market.
Fair enough.

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #2,089 of 2,978
they are very different, but, Sus doesnt need as many volts as Tungsten, but, does require more current.
I understand this.
Have the Tungsten right here, it’s working fine with the MJ3 with 6v from the DAC.

I used the Sus with the Envy, WA33, Bliss, and even a DNA stratus to just mess around. It was my favorite off the Envy but something like a MJ3 will get you 95%+ out of the Sus.
I honestly didn’t think the bliss wasnt that great. Over hyped imo.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #2,090 of 2,978
I understand this.
Have the Tungsten right here, it’s working fine with the MJ3 with 6v from the DAC.

I used the Sus with the Envy, WA33, Bliss, and even a DNA stratus to just mess around. It was my favorite off the Envy but something like a MJ3 will get you 95%+ out of the Sus.
i'd want KTE if i had anything Holo.
Have you tried the Wa33 with Tungstens?
That's such a beautiful amp. Obviously so is Envy.

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #2,091 of 2,978
i'd want KTE if i had anything Holo.
Have you tried the Wa33 with Tungstens?
That's such a beautiful amp. Obviously so is Envy.
Yeah, I think they only made the bliss in kte. Or the other option was dumb. I had the kte.

I sold the envy and wa33. Same with the sus. I may get the sus back to try vs the tungsten.

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #2,092 of 2,978
I understand this.

I picked up an SMSL D1se for good price.

I think I’m right in thinking that has 5v out on xlr. I assume thats not perfect 6v has been mentioned a lot for a top DAC, but good enough going into the (2022) 3XGT?

Have half an eye on the Holo Spring 3, can’t really justify the cost of anything above that in their range.

Feb 26, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #2,093 of 2,978
We need to remember the DAC involved.
If your DAC is pushing 2v, probably not, but if you can push 5- 6v, then yes.

Currawong did a review on the MJ3 not too long ago. Drives the Sus fine.
Sus is harder to drive than Tungsten and it’s around 1-2 o’clock on the mj3 with 6v. Certain recordings will require more vol.
i doubt that the susvara is more difficult to drive than the tungsten. both headphones present challenges for most head-amps and have different amplification requirements from what i am seeing.

Feb 26, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #2,094 of 2,978
From comparing both directly, the Tungsten is definitely just a bit harder to drive than the Susvara. Not by much, but enough worth noting.

To me, the conversation around harder to drive headphones becomes unnecessarily complicated. Just look for amps that are known to drive insensitive headphones or speaker amps and you are set (Susvara thread is probably a good proxy here). Speaker amps represent an immediate budget option, and there are quite a few headphone amp based solutions that are known to be solid in handling the job.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #2,095 of 2,978
i doubt that the susvara is more difficult to drive than the tungsten. both headphones present challenges for most head-amps and have different amplification requirements from what i am seeing.
There does seem to be more high powered amps that drive Susvara than high voltage amps to drive Tungsten.

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #2,096 of 2,978
From conversation with other tungsten owners, these one will run well with Tungsten:
Speaker amp - SGP1
Enelum/Bakoon R23/R13 (or current drive amp)
Mass Kobo 394ii

I bet Ferrum Orr or Holo Bliss or CFA3 will run well with Tungsten too.
I'm looking and maybe getting the SGP1 in order to not *****-foot around the issue and just give the tungsten MAXIMUM POWER and not worry about it.

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #2,097 of 2,978
I'm looking and maybe getting the SGP1 in order to not *****-foot around the issue and just give the tungsten MAXIMUM POWER and not worry about it.
i think they are all gone

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #2,098 of 2,978
From comparing both directly, the Tungsten is definitely just a bit harder to drive than the Susvara. Not by much, but enough worth noting.

To me, the conversation around harder to drive headphones becomes unnecessarily complicated. Just look for amps that are known to drive insensitive headphones or speaker amps and you are set (Susvara thread is probably a good proxy here). Speaker amps represent an immediate budget option, and there are quite a few headphone amp based solutions that are known to be solid in handling the job.
tbh, i had formed the view that the tungsten was the more difficult headphone to drive out of the two from my 'research'

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #2,099 of 2,978
tbh, i had formed the view that the tungsten was the more difficult headphone to drive out of the two from my 'research'

I'm pretty sure it is. And that's using the Dave on both the RCA and XLR outs, despite the voltage differences.. very consistent vs. the Susvara. But any amp that can drive the Susvara with authority will be just fine for the Tungsten, with just a slight adjustment of the volume knob.

I do agree with one of the earlier posters that for some reason improved availability of continuous quality current seems to be a major factor for optimized Susvara performance, but I didn't really test my speaker amps with the Tungsten to have a viable sense of comparison there.

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #2,100 of 2,978
I use SGP1 with my Tungsten DS not because I like to listen to loud music. But because SGP1 has better bass control over headphone amps. With SGP1 sub bass goes lower, it has more body and punch even vs Hypsoor stack. Also highs are more airy and sparkly vs Hypsoor.
SPG1 it is then for me, but the thing is that I would only be buying this amp to listen to the Tungsten almost exclusively, my other HP definitively don't need that much power to drive them to their fullest extend with my S17, with the possible exception of my DT880s 600ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back