Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Feb 26, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #2,056 of 3,172
except on Headfi (they take down all tungsten ads right now)
I dunno a trusted member like ciggavelli could just talk to the mods. The issue is more with the newly created Accounts that sell a highly hyped up product...

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #2,057 of 3,172
I dunno a trusted member like ciggavelli could just talk to the mods. The issue is more with the newly created Accounts that sell a highly hyped up product...
Yeah if mine were for sale i'd just send out a few PMs

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #2,058 of 3,172
I’ve had these for a couple days. Initial impressions are pretty positive. MJ3 does a solid job IMO. Definitely need to use the 6v option from the DAC vs 2v.
They’re a pretty neutral headphone. I don’t have the Susvara side by side but I can see/hear the similarities. Not as much impact as the Utopia, and doesn’t seem to have as much sub bass as the Susvara from memory but still very good overall for the price.
The stage width and depth are very good off my chain. The layering is also another standout. Timbre seems very good too.

Makes me wonder how the Sus would do off this chain….
IMG_0893.jpeg
I’m sorry (not sorry) but they are bloody good looking headphones……and cable.

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #2,059 of 3,172
oh, people are trying but mods are on protection mode, which is a good thing to help keep the angst down.
This is a good thing. When people are allowed to sell unobtainable items unchecked things can get messy (see also: Rolex). I imagine Ryan has enough to deal with right now without a whole world of audiophiles ticked off because the only way they can get a Tungsten is to pay $6000 for one second-hand.

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #2,060 of 3,172
Yep. He'd take the heat for it which isn't fair.

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #2,061 of 3,172
I’m sorry (not sorry) but they are bloody good looking headphones……and cable.
Yeah they look pretty good. Definitely feel 3D printed in the hand tho. I’d say the worst part of the build is the cup rings and yokes. The headband, grille, adjustment rods are all solid for the price.
And to me they don’t feel like 500g+ headphones, much lighter feeling.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #2,062 of 3,172
Yep. He'd take the heat for it which isn't fair.
Why would Ryan take the heat for someone buying a secondhand headphone for triple the price?
It’s supply and demand. If someone listed a headphone for $6k and it sells for $2k, that’s on them lol.

I don’t hear anyone complaining when someone lists a $9k amp for $5k. Everyone is willing to jump on that wagon 😆

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #2,063 of 3,172
Yeah they look pretty good. Definitely feel 3D printed in the hand tho. I’d say the worst part of the build is the cup rings. The headband, grille, adjustment rods are all solid for the price.
Maybe some light hand sanding with fine grit will get them to acceptable quality. Maybe people will appreciate the rawness of the finish that will remind them that this is one guy making something very special and not a stamped out 100k unit production run.

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #2,064 of 3,172
Yeah they look pretty good. Definitely feel 3D printed in the hand tho. I’d say the worst part of the build is the cup rings. The headband, grille, adjustment rods are all solid for the price.
Yeah ok from what I’ve seen the cups glued to the rings are….a bit one-man-in-his-garage like.

The good will from his solo operation does give him a lot of credit.

But you look at another small outfit like Hedd and sorry (not sorry) they do look a bit $#!+.

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #2,065 of 3,172
Why would Ryan take the heat for someone buying a secondhand headphone for triple the price?
It’s supply and demand. If someone listed a headphone for $6k and it sells for $2k, that’s on them lol.

I don’t hear anyone complaining when someone lists a $9k amp for $5k. Everyone is willing to jump on that wagon 😆
Bc people are assholes.
They would blame him for lack of supply.
Already saw it in the comment section of one ad before it got taken down and it was only listed for $2999 (was a $2100 DS custom color).

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #2,066 of 3,172
Maybe some light hand sanding with fine grit will get them to acceptable quality. Maybe people will appreciate the rawness of the finish that will remind them that this is one guy making something very special and not a stamped out 100k unit production run.
I wouldn’t worry about that (sanding). Just saying they do feel 3D printed. It’s kinda nice in a way though because they’re lighter with that material.

Edited my last comment and mentioned the yokes too. They’re the other area that is 3D printed. They worry me more than the rings now that I think of it.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #2,067 of 3,172
Bc people are assholes.
They would blame him for lack of supply.
Already saw it in the comment section of one ad before it got taken down and it was only listed for $2999 (was a $2100 DS custom color).
I could blame anyone. We see that all the time. Just because they complain doesn’t mean it’s accurate.

I’m a believer in supply and demand. The price is what someone is willing to pay.
If it’s being jacked up and no one wants to pay that, the price will drop.

An example is the anniversary HD800S. No one buys them on the used market for $2K lol.

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #2,068 of 3,172
Well thats a fair position to defend, but, Jude has chosen to disallow that for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back