Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Feb 26, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #2,071 of 3,140
I'd like to hear what people think about the Skedra Viking weave cable. Anyone go the upgrade path?
I'll just go for a nice Norne upgrade cable. Probably will use thr VWC only until the Norne cable arrives, if it isn't here by the time the Tungsten arrives

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #2,072 of 3,140
I’d personally go arctic. You’ll get the tungsten 2 before your cable lol

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #2,073 of 3,140
Well they are a class of their own and worth the wait

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #2,074 of 3,140
I’m glad you guys are mentioning cables. I’ve been really conflicted because I love the look and reviews of Norne, Arctic, etc., but continue to be hesitant due to pricing and too many people saying cables don’t make any difference at all.

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #2,075 of 3,140
It comes down to individual preference, so I recommend that you listen to both and decide. In my experience LCD-X is significantly better than LCD-2C. Both tried at the same time back in 2020, so I am writing based on distant memory.

I initially ordered LCD-2C, after having heard both. This was because I wanted a hi-end product coming from B&W P7 ver 2, but found it hard to afford LCD-X.
I woke up the next day restless that I did not like enough the LCD-2C- ended up cancelling the order and ordering the LCD-X.

To my ears 2C sounded all blended in, while X had very clear separation. X had higher detail representation (30% or more- I am always trying to make it tangible for my own understanding).

Many people talk about the higher mids dip, but I never found it a problem and I hear the sound very natural. Probably it is me that does not hear Harman curves as objectively correct. :)
X could be a bit flat and boring in the beginning, but after two days of brain burn-in, I found them very emotional and have rediscovered music- that is why I have hard time liking others meaningfully more to make me change my X (including 4z and 5) .
On some tracks, I use the oratory eq, to fire up low end and guitars. The down side is losing the snare impact and vocals become less natural. So, I use them without eq most of the time.
They can take any EQ though, if you have enough power on the AMP, because any EQ upwards needs to be balanced out with decreased pre-gain. I put +16 db under 150Hz and they melt my brain on hip hop like I cannot even describe… this of course is for short sessions. The point is that I can make anything with X, while I prefer it without EQ on well recorded tracks.

I will keep them until they break. :)
My S17 has enough power and gain to drive LCD-X to the point of assplotion, last time I checked they're even more efficient than my LCD2C's and I don't ever feel the need to put my amp on high-gain for them and I'm doing upsampling and I have an EQ for my LCD2C so powering them it's not going to be an issue, Tungsten's tho, welp.....

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #2,076 of 3,140
I’m glad you guys are mentioning cables. I’ve been really conflicted because I love the look and reviews of Norne, Arctic, etc., but continue to be hesitant due to pricing and too many people saying cables don’t make any difference at all.
Ditto.

Looks and feel? Absolutely, I love my Soft floppy cable (fnar) from Oidio. But ME hearing a sound difference? I’m not sure I could.

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #2,077 of 3,140
They make a difference. Especially the better the headphone and chain.
Interconnects, power, headphone, etc.

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #2,078 of 3,140
I'll just go for a nice Norne upgrade cable. Probably will use thr VWC only until the Norne cable arrives, if it isn't here by the time the Tungsten arrives
100% this
Not hating on VW, but, I am praising Norne! Can't beat the quality for the price, and Trevor is one of the best dudes in this industry.

TBH I may even sell the VW to throw into the amp fund.

That said, the upgrade cable looks thicc
1st pic are Norne hybrids, 2nd the Viking Weave upgrade.

norne2.jpg

image_2024-02-26_174149062.png

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #2,079 of 3,140
naw, Fam, Norne is pretty fast unless you order @ Black Friday.

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #2,080 of 3,140
As we discovered with the MJ3, the conventional math on Watts = dynamic range is not holding up. The MJ3 with only 2 Watts at 32 Ohms should not be able to drive the Susvara or Tungsten, but other reviewers who own both are noticing they work just wonderfully.
I heard mixed reports regarding Tungsten specifically with the MJ3, some say it doesn't have enough juice on the tank to power them, others that it just doesn't synergise well with them, even Jason Stoddard said that if you plan to run Tungsten, just get his Rag2 and you shouldn't have any problems powering them

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #2,081 of 3,140
I heard mixed reports regarding Tungsten specifically with the MJ3, some say it doesn't have enough juice on the tank to power them, others that it just doesn't synergise well with them, even Jason Stoddard said that if you plan to run Tungsten, just get his Rag2 and you shouldn't have any problems powering them
it's kind of an open question; although Im hearing pre-amped MJ3 is more punchy and powerful- specifically @psy472 running Jot2>>MJ3>> Tungsten DS
I honestly want to love MJ3 and I do love Schiit , but, I'm about 95% sure I'll be ordering Flux Mentor just to be on the safe side.
Hopefully- if I can get it together- fed from a YGGY+ GS2 by Fall.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #2,082 of 3,140
100% this
Not hating on VW, but, I am praising Norne! Can't beat the quality for the price, and Trevor is one of the best dudes in this industry.

TBH I may even sell the VW to throw into the amp fund.

That said, the upgrade cable looks thicc
1st pic are Norne hybrids, 2nd the Viking Weave upgrade.

The VW wire is actually pretty thin with 22awg copper, seems to have a thick shielding though.

Maybe it's also just a weird way how it's deacribed, if only this were standardized

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #2,083 of 3,140
Feb 26, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #2,084 of 3,140
We need to remember the DAC involved.
If your DAC is pushing 2v, probably not, but if you can push 5- 6v, then yes.

Currawong did a review on the MJ3 not too long ago. Drives the Sus fine.
Sus is harder to drive than Tungsten and it’s around 1-2 o’clock on the mj3 with 6v. Certain recordings will require more vol.

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #2,085 of 3,140

I’m still waiting on an email from 2022…
Oh, man, then he DEFINITELY lost track of you. Email him again. I promise he'll get back to you.
I'm in contact with him a lot- we are quite friendly. If you message him again and he doesnt reply, hit me up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back